Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sit bones measurment

I think that I have found an excellent way to measure my sit bones. I took some magic dough and rolled it into a cylinder about 7" long. Then I placed it in a plastic bag. Put the bag on a hard surface and sat down on it. Great impressions of my sit bones were left behind and they were very easy to measure center to center. I came up with a measure of 118 mm center to center and a measure of about 155mm from outside edge to outside edge.

All of this was very interesting to me but I really don't have a clue of how to use this information when thinking about getting a saddle.

So does anyone think this method of measuring sit bones is of any help and does anyone have any thoughts on how this information could be used?

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jim 155 seems pretty wide, but if that's the outside of your sit bones, that's what you want in saddle width.
    George

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You will find interesting sizing information at www.sellesanmarco.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    THANKS.. I initially looked-in on this post expecting too see the ussual theories. The problem with the theories has been applying it to seats in the market, 'till now, I'd never seen published, hard facts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized dealers have a memory foam piece that you sit on. Then you measure from the center of one depression to the center of the other. Specialized and a couple of other saddle makers make different widths in some models.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you have a bad eye, measure from the left edge, to the left edge, or right edge, to the right edge. and you'll be right on.
    George

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    It is interesting, but I don't see a method for self-evaluation, other than weight. There's also a "S-M-L-XL" parameter and a numerical parameter, how do you use them?

The great thing about Specialized is that with their in-store measurement slab they've got a way to measure the bones without too much confounding by muscle, and a chart for relating the number to saddle width selection. It's a usable system.

Guess I just don't get the San Marco systm yet.

Road Fan

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim p
    I think that I have found an excellent way to measure my sit bones. I took some magic dough and rolled it into a cylinder about 7" long. Then I placed it in a plastic bag. Put the bag on a hard surface and sat down on it. Great impressions of my sit bones were left behind and they were very easy to measure center to center. I came up with a measure of 118 mm center to center and a measure of about 155mm from outside edge to outside edge.

All of this was very interesting to me but I really don't have a clue of how to use this information when thinking about getting a saddle.

So does anyone think this method of measuring sit bones is of any help and does anyone have any thoughts on how this information could be used?
    With such a wide variation, I'm not sure you're measuring bone only v. bone and muscle. Plus, the measurement gets smaller as you sit in a more aero position with a straight spine to your pelvis, which at least in Specialized product, leads to selecting a narrower saddle for more aero riding.

Road Fan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Weight.....Short size......the numerical parameter is the answer. Saddles in the Selle San Marco product range come with different width numbers in any particular modle range.

Slightly crude but remarkably effective. Unfortunately does not directly cross over to other brands. It may however indicate dimensions on the appropriate saddle that you can use when looking at saddles.