Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know wher you're going

When you head out on a ride do you stick to a route or two, or do you take whatever turn strikes your fancy? I have a couple routes I ride regularly as a benchmark of how my condition is but also like to try new roads or the same road from the other direction. I'm lucky to live in an area with a lot of rural, low traffic roads. Drivers in this area have become much more aware of, and polite toward, cyclists, which also helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to do both. However, when the ride is a planned training ride, the route is pre-determined to create the desired effect for that session. My rest and recovery days tend to be more exploratory in nature.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, live in small town america with not much traffic and that what is, is friendly... so I do not 'have to' pick and choose where I ride...that being said there are some major streets that I usually ride, however even though I may have a route in mind, in the middle it can be changed ona whim... don't know if you have seen a whim lately, they are easy to find if one is distracted.
    peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My curiousity sometimes take me out of my usual planned route. And that add more miles to my ride for that day. It usually gives you a variety of routes and new challenges when you do this on a whim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately it seems like I do more wandering. Which is more fun. And sometimes gives the ride a frickin big hill that you didn't know was there.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 5 mile or so ride, when I've only got a half hour to squeeze something in. I have a ten mile, a fifteen mile, a twenty mile, and a twenty five mile route. I have two different 18 mile routes. All of these can be varied as much as I want, but I usually find myself choosing a route I haven't done in a while, and doing it again.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are planned routes but the best days are head out and decide as the spirit moves me.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can get lost in a phone booth. The Garmin tells me where I can and can't go.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I'm riding with The Weak Link, I seldom have a route preplanned. Have a general area I'll start in & go from there. And I ride so that I can take any number of ways back, so distance can vary depending on how my ride is going. And even with the Garmin, I'm not so sure TWL is sure about where he's headed, either!

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little of both for me. I have some routes I do from my house. I tend to wander though if something looks interesting. I am usually looking for a set number of miles so I am not picky how I get them.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably have more routes and variations of routes drawn out than anyone in this county. Most of them come from looking at maps and picking out roads to try riding or from seeing a side road and riding down it to see where it goes. I usually head out with a plan of where I'll be riding, but I often change plans as the ride progresses. If I have all day available, there's no telling where I'll end up. When I have some place to be later, I stick closer to the plan.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.