Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thinking about giving up TV...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 12:30 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm sick of it, but I'm still hooked. I can't just "turn it off," because sooner or later it goes back on. I'm thinking about giving my two TVs to my daughters in a month or so when the oldest gets her first apartment. Then there won't be any in the house.

I know some of you have already done this. I'm wondering how long it takes to ween oneself off the thing? As much as I loathe it I have to admit there are a few television shows that I enjoy. I just don't have the discipline to only turn it on for those few shows.

Soi...how long is the withdrawal? And what, if any, pleasant and unexpected benefits did you gain? I'm counting on doing more cycling, reading, and maybe even a more positive outlook on life without the daily news programs. What else?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-10-07, 12:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't give it up till the Tour De France is over. All that lycra and top quality bikes will be worth suffering for.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-10-07, 06:24 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I believe the opposite is true

TV is thinking about giving up DG.

After reading the posts on this forum, the TV God has decided that DG is an advertising deficit - the only thing he purchases is reams of bicycles, and he never responds to any TV advertising.

So, my friend, Mr. Cable is getting ready to DROP you, unless you show some propensity to buy some Flomax or Preparation H.

They will solve your TV decision problem for you.
Old 06-10-07, 06:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's the use of a TV if DG spend more time on here? I hardly watched TV at all unless some important breaking news that someone beg me to watch. The computer monitor is my source of news and a place to interact with everyone here in BF 50 +. I found that my BP goes up whenever I watched CNN or MSNBC news. Oh, I forgot to mention that to the doctor on my last visit. Damn.
Old 06-10-07, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I'm sick of it, but I'm still hooked. I can't just "turn it off,"
Me too. It seems to me that the more channels I get the fewer programs I find that I'm interested in. I'm not even sure about the Tour. I'm off work for most of July so I should have plenty of time to ride and do my house projects. Unfortunately, I watch the Tour for 3 hours every morning because I can't bear to wait for the edited version of the telecast and lose all of my ambition for the day.

Is there a 12 step program for Tour watchers? Maybe we need to start one.
Old 06-10-07, 06:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got rid of my tv's in 1975. I have been tv free for over 30 years.

As I recall, it took less than 2 weeks to ween my myself from it. If you have kids living at home, it would be next to impossible. If it's just your wife and you, then obviously she has to agree. If part of your social life is inviting your friends over for "the game" you can't do it, although my friends will always feel "sorry" for me and invite me. I always say no. I'd rather be riding my bike.

Be ready for people to think of you as some weird, nut case though. If you tell people you don't own a tv, its like telling them you like to eat worms for breakfast. Till they get to know you... but you'll never lose the stigma that you are weird in some way.

I won't get into the benefits of no TV. There are far too many to mention. I think you get the idea though. If the TV is in your house, you always find yourself watching it. You actually do have to physically remove it, for the experiment to be successful.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-10-07, 07:00 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
How are you going to watch the most important social events in the US today, NASCAR races?
Old 06-10-07, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
If it were not for movies, selected news, and the TDF; I would.
Old 06-10-07, 07:14 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I almost forgot, how are you going to monitor the trials and tribulations of that important legal event, Paris Hilton's prison stay.
Old 06-10-07, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Hi,
try Netflix or Tivo. Every nite the wife and I watch two shows. Right now it's Star trek: Voyager during dinner and then Frasier.

No commmercials ever...

No summer reruns ever...

And it's waiting for you, not the other way around...

My wife uses TIVO for her cooking shows, and I have it grab some stuff like NOVA. But sometimes
weeks go by without my watching them.

I felt your pain. But it's gone now. We're going to try the series House soon.
Hehe, I forgot, they also have movies.
Old 06-10-07, 07:46 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You some kinda communiss, boy?
Old 06-10-07, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your I.Q. will go up 10 points. Are you sure you want to do that? I mean you'll be giving up other people telling you what to think, what to buy, how to live, etc. You'll have to start doing that on your own.
Old 06-10-07, 07:53 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
How do you feel about your son being struck down by a hit and run driver. I bet you were pretty attached to your home after living here for 50 years. After you lost your son in Iraq do you think we should be there. Or how about the price of gas, do you think it's to high.

The media is driving me nuts with these cutthroat reporters with a 3rd grade education asking people questions like that. How do you think I feel!!
Beside that, and being inundated with commercials.

My son and I were talking yesterday and he said he wanted to buy a big 35" flat screen. After we got done talking he changed his mind. I said why do you need a big screen to watch all those commercials?

Anyhow I have some TDF , Race across America, and Paris- Roubaix DVDs and with the TDF coming up, I'll probably keep my TV for things like that. As far as watching it now, at the most 1 hour, and then I can't take it anymore.
Old 06-10-07, 08:29 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am always ashamed of my mental strength when I feel a need to watch a TV show. What a waste.
Old 06-10-07, 09:02 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a tv for when my daughter or son come to stay. There are no regular programs that I watch but, living alone, I sometimes use it like a fireplace....it flickers and crackles and provides a spot of color. My interest in tv has waned considerable over the years. Much of it is violent, of course, and banal, of course, and not worth the heart beats wasted sitting there. Occasionally I rent a Netflix...worked my way through "Rome" in 6 weeks.

I also find that, yes, I actively involve myself in actually "doing" things around the house more...including bike repair, home projects, reading, etc.

I also stay more energized at night by actually "doing" something (surprizing how active reading can be). Sitting in front of the TV, I tend to stiffen up and feel loggy. Feel like Oddyseus washed up among the lotus eaters munching vacant dreams. Not good.
Old 06-10-07, 09:23 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrIYQNMhxnI

Frank Zappa

I am gross and perverted, I'm obsessed and deranged,
I have existed for years, but very little has changed.
I'm the tool of the government and industry too,
For I am destined to rule and regulate you.
I may be vile and pernicious, but you can't look away,
I make you think I'm delicious with the stuff that I say.
I'm the best you can get.
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.

You will obey me while I lead you
With the garbage that I feed you,
Till the day that we don't need you.
Don't go for help, no-one will heed you!

Your mind is totally controlled,
It has been stuffed into my mould.
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold.

"That's right folks, don't touch that dial"

Well I am the slime from your video, oozing along on your
living room floor.
I am the slime from your video, can't stop the slime people
look at me go.
Old 06-10-07, 09:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You folks need to try PBS. Either 26:46 or 56:46 of no commercials and things like Nova, Nature, Secrets of the Dead, Frontline, Now, and a host of other great shows.

Yes I do work at a PBS affiliate. Right now we are in that three minutes and fourteen seconds of promos/underwriting(commercials), but it will end soon and there will probably be some great programming on.

Crap. It is the 'McLaughlin Group'. Well, we all have our losers.

Besides, where else can YOU do the programming? Just call your local PBS affiliate and request certain programs. Of course, if you give them your name and address they will send you an offer to send them money.
Old 06-10-07, 09:28 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
How are you going to maintain your social standing without a large TV. Your neighbors will look down on you if you have a little one. You may need to have a chat with BOB.

You will become the laughing stock of the neighborhood, worse than garbage on the side of the road........................wait your that bicyclist aren't you. Never mind anything I've said.
Old 06-10-07, 09:31 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Just manage what you select to watch. There is actually some decent stuff on PBS, The History Channel, some sports and of course the cooking channel..........Boston Legal is my one allowance for a commercial program. Just cracks me up........But it's not big deal if I miss an episode along the way.
Old 06-10-07, 09:53 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
You guys are a bunch of snobs.

TV is our birthright (curse?)as members of our generation. It is pure crap and we love it. I'm not pretending to have any plans to do without it. It does provide entertainment and information. The quality of each of those is questionable, but they have a couple of features that allow you to be selective: the channel changer and the power switch.

A few things that make it worthwhile:

Bicycle racing coverage
College football coverage
The Daily Show
The Sopranos (through today anyway)
Boston Legal
News (definitely a mixed blessing, but we have to be able to keep an eye on the rat-bastards running everything)
Local News coverage of my cycling club's awareness and advocacy projects
Old 06-10-07, 10:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I truly enjoy some shows and would miss them (Sopranos, Lost). DVD's of the whole season are a way better way to watch though. I find if the thing is playing I can't seem to turn away, but I can always turn it off.
Old 06-10-07, 11:02 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think it would take too much for me to get rid of the television. I turn it on in the morning while getting ready for work to listen to the news, traffic report and weather. It gets turned on in the evenings while I'm working around the house but I seldom sit down to watch it. There are no regular shows I watch and I can't sit still long enough to watch a movie. I often turn on the radio instead of the television in the evenings.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-10-07, 11:11 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Besides television, society has "suffered" over the last century through talking movies, rock and roll, video games, hip hop, disco, line dancing and internet forums, just to name a few other "curses."

Keep the TV, you'll survive.

Old 06-10-07, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
How are you going to watch the most important social events in the US today, NASCAR races?

And you wouldn't be able to find out what is going on with Paris Hilton.
Old 06-10-07, 11:40 AM

Bikes: 95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been TV free for years. At one point, I was selling home theatre systems, but didn't own a television. If a customer asked me what sort of TV I had, I'd tell them "Oh me? No. I don't own a television." It didn't seem to put them off of a new set.

That said, I'm starting to think about a TV now, for one reason only: I wouldn't mind hosting "movie night" from time to time. It's hosted by every one of my friends, but never by me. To this end, I'm considering a 32" HDTV and a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player. I will not be subscribing to any sort of service, however.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.