Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: New bike!

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '82 Trek 614, Cannondale Super V, '80s Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New bike!

My new Jamis Coda Comp! Re- or retro fitted with Albatross bars, Shimano thumbies (NOS), Avid TI levers, 8 speed cassette and Brooks B-17! Took a while to tweak, but it rides beautifully. Steel frame, carbon fork. What a nice combo.

Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are not the only one here that rides a Coda. Nice bike sir. You have my curiosity piqued with the 8 speed cassette. Do tell more.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    You are not the only one here that rides a Coda. Nice bike sir. You have my curiosity piqued with the 8 speed cassette. Do tell more.

+1
    George

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '82 Trek 614, Cannondale Super V, '80s Specialized Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the shifting of the 8speed better than 9. SO, I put a Shimano 11-30 on the hub and teamed it with a NOS set of Deore XT thumbies, plus an XT rear derailleur. Shifts beautifully. Got that hidden 8th speed on the shifters, plus friction for the front. Way better for me than Shimano's newer offerings. I've got the same setup on a Trek Fuel 90, but have Suntour XC Pro shifters, instead.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike - and nice setup. I like the thumb shifters too. 8 speeds is plenty in the rear. And the chains are stronger, longer lasting and much less expensive.

I'm setting up an old MTB to road cruiser conversion using Albatross bars. I tried the bars flat like you have them and never could get comfortable. I find them much more comfortable angled down at the ends about 20 degrees.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Nice bike - and nice setup. I like the thumb shifters too. 8 speeds is plenty in the rear. And the chains are stronger, longer lasting and much less expensive.

I'm setting up an old MTB to road cruiser conversion using Albatross bars. I tried the bars flat like you have them and never could get comfortable. I find them much more comfortable angled down at the ends about 20 degrees.

That's the one thing I'm still fiddling with. I like them flat, but I'm going to try them angled down also.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman

Terrierman, you were the inspiration for the Brooks! Love it.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that you have the Albatross bars turned over for an upsweep, rather than their typical downsweep, which makes them a variation of a North Road bar rather than a drop bar. That's a setup that I would love to try out.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoops01
    Terrierman, you were the inspiration for the Brooks! Love it.
    So thats who we have to blame---

It does not matter what bike you have- providing you like it and you can get it sorted for you. I would never contemplat those bars- but hopefully someone will let me try a pair some day and then I can- I told you so --- or I could say- these bars aren't bad.

Now as to the Brooks- No way- I have tried one for 6 moths- and never got over 20 miles before the pain got through to me.
    At least I did not do the stupid thing and leave it on for a century I did in that 6 months- but even the Selle saddle hurt by the end.

Now as to those Shimano Thumbies- I do wish I still had mine. They were XT and were on the Kona When I bought it 12 years ago- They started playing up and went STI. Later I stripped them down- regreased and assembled and passed them onto a friend that had 8 speed. They still work and I know he never does any maintenance.

Nice bike and nicely set up. All we want now are the pics of the bike out on the trails to finish it off.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I like that you have the Albatross bars turned over for an upsweep, rather than their typical downsweep, which makes them a variation of a North Road bar rather than a drop bar. That's a setup that I would love to try out.
    I would guess that I have seen albatross bars set up the way jhoops01 has his about ten times for every one time I have seen them set up as drop bars. Maybe more.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.