Thread: TWL Needs Help

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TWL Needs Help

He's battling the roadies about Fred's over in You know you're a Fred when.....

Rally the troops
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll be fine. If it looks like they might start to actually have an edge, he'll just use a lot of big words that they will have to look up, and prepare his defense while they are still trying to figure out what he just said!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what's TWL doing and wandering away from his home turf? I think he'll be alright. He can handle himself well.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh heh. I've gone and provoked them now. I might not have done that, but my bad angel was egging me on and promising me some Le Chocolate Cakeaux if I did. I'm getting the asbestos underwear.....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I'd go over and join in on the fun (being the Fred that I am). It's too easy to get some people rattled. As long as I'm riding and I'm not harming anyone in the process, I don't see where it matters what you wear, or whether you wish to keep stats or not (if you are into racing and training, or reaching for a set goal, I think it's fine), but had to go over there and see what the commotion was about, and maybe to stir the pot just a little.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went over, looked around, got a rash and came home.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an un-Fredly like admission to make--I actually do own a pair of cycling shorts, with chamois and all! Also still own clipless pedals and shoes, at least for the time being (and have even given thought to giving them another try! Hope I'm not endangering my Fred status! I felt so "dirty", but I'm much better now that I've come clean! Donna wouldn't want me to hide to secret OCP which lingers within!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the Roadies saying that it is a Fred thing to have a mirror of any type on you?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Are the Roadies saying that it is a Fred thing to have a mirror of any type on you?
    Isn't it?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might explain the increasing number of roadies who do not know/sense that I am right behind them in my car while they ride side by side, blocking an entire lane of the road. I live next to a country road that is heavily used by cyclists. 5-10 years ago, they all had mirrors and all moved to the right when we came up behind them.

But in recent years, this happens less and less. This road has a lot of curves and hillcrests where a car cannot pull into the other lane to pass. Now we pull up right behind cyclists who are riding two and three abreast, who seeming don't know we are now right behind them and have had to slow from 50 down to 10-15 as they climb hills. Many don't move until I blow my hour from about 30' behind them.

I don't know if it is Fred to have a mirror, but on the roads in our area, it is pea-brained to not have one.

I could see it not being as necessary to have one if you ride roads that have long flats where people can easily pass you. Where I live, there's a 4 mile stretch where there is no safe or legal place to pass.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that is the problem. I don't use a mirror and I notice when cars are behind me and I move over to make room. What is missing from these riders is located between their ears, not attached to their helmets, glasses or handlebars.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Possibly they should use the mirror they look at in the morning.