Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling- heart diease and Sun- In the UK.

I do not know where they dig the facts up from sometimes but apparantly a study has been made on all the various ways of retaining health and Fitness and the way to retain it is to get a bike- Something all of us know about. This was on the Morning news yesterday. Startling observation I know- but cycling was put above all other forms of exercise- because of the Minimal cost of getting started and it is easier on the body and leg joints.

Second thing is that they think they have discovered why the Scots have the worst rate for heart Disease in the the UK. Apparantly it is Because they do not see much winter Sun. Nothing to do with the fact that They drink a lot more than the rest of the UK- Or that they have a lower exercise rate than the rest of us. Or the fact that as it is a lot colder up there- You just cannot get out and exercise.

Any startlingly obvious News over your side of the Pond that springs to mind?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the local radio this week they have been running a special report on why people are stressed. I get to listen while I sit in the nightly commute one-hour traffic jam called the Mass Pike. Duh..
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Any startlingly obvious News over your side of the Pond that springs to mind?"

I think I heard something recently about a war being mishandled.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also heard a rumor that Paris Hilton didn't hold up well in jail.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    ........they have discovered why the Scots have the worst rate for heart Disease in the the UK. Apparantly it is Because they do not see much winter Sun. Nothing to do with the fact that They drink a lot more than the rest of the UK-
    I was 15 years with a UK company based in Edinburgh and so feel at liberty to comment on this. I used to go to the home office and they'd take a pub break in mid-afternoon for a couple o' pints, then drinks after work, a few more before going out to dinner, a couple of bottles of wine with the meal, then some scotch after dinner.........., get up the next day and do it all again.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a couch potato on this part of the world rewards you with obesity and other associated illnesses. So here's a guy who is bringing excericse to the minds of our young. He is going to pedal across the Atlantic.

http://www.adventuresofgreg.com/HPB/HPBmain.html

He has too many triathlon finish that he is looking for another challenge.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    "Any startlingly obvious News over your side of the Pond that springs to mind?"

I think I heard something recently about a war being mishandled.
    Amen to that, brother. I think you're preaching to about 68% of the USA.

I'm from Texas and can proudly say I didn't vote for either Bush or Clinton--and I have voted every time.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    I also heard a rumor that Paris Hilton didn't hold up well in jail.
    She'll really go over the edge now that the judge has sent her back.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This week's study suggests that vitamin D may be a strong cancer preventative. Of course, then don't know how much vitamin D to take, yet.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    This week's study suggests that vitamin D may be a strong cancer preventative. Of course, then don't know how much vitamin D to take, yet.
    And the dermitoligist gave the opposing view that you will die from skin cancer if you get out in the sun. I think there is too much money floating around to do medical studies. If they would use the money to find a cure for something important like heart disease, they would all be out of business.

Also, like Scotland I guess I am doomed living in Western PA where the sun does not shine in the winter.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect the Scots drink more than the rest of the UK cause they got that whiskey thing SO right.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    I suspect the Scots drink more than the rest of the UK cause they got that whiskey thing SO right.
    Don't enjoy whisky but a good Cognac-------

Seems there might be something in this as The FRENCH- who have a sunnier clime and a supposedly worse diet for the heart- have plenty of sun- and relatively little heart disease.

And this morning on Radio- Red wine is good for the heart. Just a pity it gives me a hangover after the second bottle.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    If you mean the single malts, then yeah, they are right up there in the top tier (just below good sour mash from Tennessee or bourbon from Kentucky), but if you are talking about blended scotch, that stuff is putrid. I don't know for sure how buzzard piss tastes, but I would imagine it would be very similar to blended scotch whiskey (same for pretty much any blended whiskey imho).
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.