User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will you lower the bar to welcome a 46 year old?

Hi, I'm Colleen and I love cycling. I'm 46 but I'd like to hang out there too, may I please? I'm happily married to a wonderful man who supports my endeavors, and I have 4 wonderful kids. I'm a mild mannered nurse by day, obsessed cyclist all other times.

I love to ride my bike. I got more serious about cycling last August when my oldest went off to college and I hit yet another mid-life milestone. Rather than sitting around feeling sorry about things, I got a new bike and started riding.

Then I joined a club with some fantastic people who love to ride. Most of them make my obsessive compulsion to ride seem mild by comparison.

Then I started buying all kinds of crazy cycling clothes. A gore jacket so I could ride all winter. Bike shoes. New pedals. A pack for my handlebars. A computer, then another computer. Funky, fun sox to match the jerseys. Hi-vis vest. A little bell w/a compass. Arm warmers, leg warmers. Wool base layers. Gloves. Great head coverings called a "buff". Crazy expensive shorts, knickers, tights. And after all this, I still feel like I've exercised enormous restraint.

Here is it early June, I've got 2,000 miles for the year.

I'm going on a bike tour in two weeks, GOBA.

When I get back, Lord willing, I am getting a fitting for a new, better bike. A serotta fierte, in steel, yellow.

I have been lurking here and you all seem so nice!

Colleen

seattle based cyclist merlinman's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight, Gios Steel, Schwinn Voyageur fixie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Forum should be renamed the nice people's Forum and all who are nice are welcome. Maybe being over 50 does this to you (well some of us anyway).
    Andiamo!!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momof4greatkids
    Hi, I'm Colleen and I love cycling. I'm 46 but I'd like to hang out there too, may I please? I'm happily married to a wonderful man who supports my endeavors, and I have 4 wonderful kids. I'm a mild mannered nurse by day, obsessed cyclist all other times.

I love to ride my bike. I got more serious about cycling last August when my oldest went off to college and I hit yet another mid-life milestone. Rather than sitting around feeling sorry about things, I got a new bike and started riding.

Then I joined a club with some fantastic people who love to ride. Most of them make my obsessive compulsion to ride seem mild by comparison.

Then I started buying all kinds of crazy cycling clothes. A gore jacket so I could ride all winter. Bike shoes. New pedals. A pack for my handlebars. A computer, then another computer. Funky, fun sox to match the jerseys. Hi-vis vest. A little bell w/a compass. Arm warmers, leg warmers. Wool base layers. Gloves. Great head coverings called a "buff". Crazy expensive shorts, knickers, tights. And after all this, I still feel like I've exercised enormous restraint.

Here is it early June, I've got 2,000 miles for the year.

When I get back, Lord willing, I am getting a fitting for a new, better bike. A serotta fierte, in steel, yellow.

Colleen
    I'm good with it -- I love your OCP tendencies (matching socks & jerseys), balanced by your Fred-ness (bell, hee, I have one on our tandem). You flatter us, also an important trait for the 50+ denizens.

The bike, the miles, the tour -- yeah, that's good too.

Besides, we need more women in this forum.

Welcome!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll allow it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2,000 miles ..Like me..January, 2003 of course.What do you ride now ? What color too please .

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Colleen
    Sure you have the right forum

Welcome
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this be your first GOBA? One of the towns on the tour this year is close to my home.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There being no Forty Plus forum, we can allow a few younger folks to join us.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old and new
    2,000 miles ..Like me..January, 2003 of course.What do you ride now ? What color too please .

Oh yes that's important. I ride a 2006 trek 7.5fx 20". It's like a flat bar road bike/hybrid. It's got deore mtn bike gearing, a terry saddle, candy pedals (in yellow! looks awful, but the price was right)bar ends and a shorter stem, though the reach is still too long. It's all aluminum all over...it's very harsh after 30 miles or so. And it's a brushed silver color. I call him "hi ho silver", my trusty steed

But I am getting a new bike soon. I finally decided what I wanted just a few days ago, and there's no time now to change bikes before the tour. So I will have the new bike aquisition to look forward to after that.

You are all so friendly, thank you for the kind welcome!

Colleen

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Will this be your first GOBA? One of the towns on the tour this year is close to my home.

Yes! I'm so excited. ONe of the guys I ride w/lots, has been on every one and he met his wife on GOBA. They go back every year for their anniversary. Very fun couple and great to ride with.

I'm leaving Ohio tomorrow for a week's vacation in the Outer Banks, NC, then straight to GOBA!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Colleen, welcome aboard and I also had the Trek FX 7300 and it's a great bike. I think I may have screwed up though, and gave it to my son. Oh well, I guess you can say I'm looking for a new bike as well. I did look up the Serotta and it doe's look like a very nice bike. Good luck on your tour and most of all have fun.
    George

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinman
    I think the Forum should be renamed the nice people's Forum and all who are nice are welcome. Maybe being over 50 does this to you (well some of us anyway).
    You rename it "Nice People's Forum" and I am so out of here. Heck, I might not qualify anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Colleen. Glad to see another person from Team Estrogen over here. I'm new to BF, too, and haven't posted much, but everyone is so civilized and nice and, well, old, that it's fun just to lurk.

Janice

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (mutter, mutter)...wet behind the ears fortysomething...(grumble, grumble)...place is goin' to hell in a handbasket...what next, kids from the BMX forum? (mumble, mumble)...

'04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    (mutter, mutter)...wet behind the ears fortysomething...(grumble, grumble)...place is goin' to hell in a handbasket...what next, kids from the BMX forum? (mumble, mumble)...

+1...the age-to-enter bar keeps getting lower and lower!

Of course, if there's pie involved, I'm willing to extend a probationary membership...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!!!!!

Madone - Grey
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I guess so. But BEHAVE! Welcome, actually.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First 49, then 46, where will the madness end!!!!!!

Look, I'm almost 61, how about I just loan them both a few years each, that makes them old enough to join, and me young enough to appreciate them.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Colleen. Women mature sooner than men, so maybe our age limit for women should be less, anyway. You seem suitably compulsive about your riding, you should fit right in. I'll look forward to your posts.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Younger women? Boy, that's the last thing we would want hanging around.

The Serotta Fierte looks like a great bike. Steel is real.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinman
    You know, I think you have hit the nail on the head about this forum. I ventured over to the forum about giving up your car and riding a bike, and they are pretty political and hostile. I like this forum.

By getting these 40 something juvenile delinquents here, is the tenor of the forum going to change?????????

Just kidding. Welcome!!

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are most welcome here. You will enjoy yourself, and learn a ton in the process. Besides, the AVERAGE age of the forum is still 50. You and DG can get together and accessorize your pedals to match your jerseys, etc.

My Bikes
    Serotta Fierte
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Younger women? Boy, that's the last thing we would want hanging around.

The Serotta Fierte looks like a great bike. Steel is real.
    So at 46 I get to be a "younger woman"? I guess I found the right place, now you'll never get rid of me!

I was just talking to my BIL about my new bike and sheepishly told him the ballpark price range (because he asked, twice) and he said "that's better than my wife who bought a 2 1/2 carat diamond that just sits in the drawer, at least it's something you will actually use." That comment surprised me because he is pretty tight w/his shekels.

A 2 1/2 carat diamond would be the last thing I would want to spend hard earned money on. Now, if I won the lotto...easy money...that would be different.

But a bike, especially a great new comfy durable gorgeous expertly manufactured bike like the fierte, well that's a whole different story. I like to take long rides and this aluminum bike I am riding now gets so doggone harsh after 30 miles or so. This steel serotta rode so smooth, I can't imagine anything nicer...except maybe ti? hmmmmmm :-)

Colleen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks,
    She is a nurse.

Who better to include in a 50+ forum than a nurse.

Especially when DG gets going about his pains and such!

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno...
    Do we let kids in here?
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast