Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your biological age?

Voters
292. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lurkers and occasional posters <50. Please tell us what brings you here.

26 8.90%
  • 50-54

107 36.64%
  • 55-59

82 28.08%
  • 60-64

51 17.47%
  • 65-69

18 6.16%
  • 70-74

4 1.37%
  • 75-79

2 0.68%
  • 80-84

0 0%
  • 85-89

1 0.34%
  • 90+

1 0.34%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you all are tell me is that we will remain deviants until we have more age groups participate...

I think it is time to stop thinking while we are ahead...

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude
    So what you all are tell me is that we will remain deviants until we have more age groups participate...
    So does that mean that we shouldn't participate until then? Deviants need love too.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I guess if you want to deviate from normal behavior it will be okay...

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kiddies!
    Can't get a pulse of those 70 or older?!
    Resting pulse 52, max pulse 183.
    Biological age: 75 this year (DOB 1932).
    Miles ridden on bicycles: over one quarter million miles.
    Have slowed a bit in speed/distance but still average 100+ miles a week.
    Zona resides in ariZONA but is currently escaping the summer and hanging out in Idaho for 3 months.
    Yup, brought the tandem and single racing bike. Riding the Twin Falls, ID Tour de Cure in about 2 weeks.
    BTW my stoker's only 72 and rides 4 to 5 days a week.
    You 'youngsters' best show some repect for your elders . . .
    Now get out there and ride!
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW, sounds bionic. You ought to post about your first Columbia or Rollfast sometime,as well as your recent adventures of course .

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kiddies!
    Zona resides in ariZONA but is currently escaping the summer and hanging out in Idaho for 3 months.
    Yup, brought the tandem and single racing bike. Riding the Twin Falls, ID Tour de Cure in about 2 weeks.
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem

My Bikes
    Gient OCR (Road) Peogeot (Rain)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My age depends on the time of day and what I have just done, what I am doing or what I am going to do.
    When I get up in the morning I am my biological age.
    When I do a few morning exercises I might be older
    When I Start riding I am my biological age
    Five miles into a ride I am 10-20 years younger.
    With the wind at my back flying along with friends I am a hardbody in my 20’s
    When I take a nap after a ride and first wake up I feel like an old arthritic dog for a few minuets or I must be 90 + then
    But as long as I can ride it’s all good.

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 54 and was out yesterday and during a stop for loading up the water bottles was asked by a guy at the gas station how far I was going; told him I'd end up at about 50 miles for the day. As he was leaving he asked me how old I was, I told him and he got this shocked look on his face and said that was unbelievable. He was a pretty big boy and probably in his ealry 40's, he shook his head again and said "God bless you man". I don't know but to me 50 miles isn't that big a deal; did make me pause and realize that a lot of folks out there don't even thing about taking care of themselves.
    "We're high with expectation on the edge of the unknown."

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem
    Hi kiddies!
    Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
    Yaayyyyy! 75-79 is represented! That's just swell! Is your younger half not a forum member? Or does she just look over your shoulder when you're on BF?

That's a fantastic resting pulse rate! Mine's still rather high after having had no cadiovascular exercise for three years. I think it'll be a while before I'm back in shape. Seeing your numbers has helped me to feel optimistic again. Thank you for sharing!

Anyone else out there going to de-lurk? <squintin' hopefully into Lurkerdom again>

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stercomm
    I'm 54 and was out yesterday and during a stop for loading up the water bottles was asked by a guy at the gas station how far I was going; told him I'd end up at about 50 miles for the day. As he was leaving he asked me how old I was, I told him and he got this shocked look on his face and said that was unbelievable.
    I had a similar experience yesterday. I took my daughter, who lives in an apartment, grocery shopping. As we were checking out, I told her that I had ridden 33 miles the day before. The guy checking us out, who was in his early 20s, was amazed. Said that a couple of years ago he was talked into taking a ride by some buddies and they had gone 14 miles. Said he nearly died.

So even the lesser achievers on this forum are out there impressing the younger generation.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude
    Well, I guess if you want to deviate from normal behavior it will be okay...
    It has been working for me so far. I don't see any reason to change now.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 56. You can see that my join date was December, 2004. That was two months after I'd gotten on a bicycle for the first time in over 40 years. Wondering about what kind of riding 50+'ers did is what made me peek in the forum, but the major inspiration I quickly found from posters like stapfam and Dnvr kept me around.

This forum is tolerant of a wide variety of rider types, and is also, as others have pointed out, more civil and caring than most other forums. The "in your face" attitude that so many of the young display these days just never has caught on here as much.

We disagree, argue, and get bent out of shape our fair share, but through it all, we're like a family. I salute you all.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent
    . Wondering about what kind of riding 50+'ers did is what made me peek in the forum, but the major inspiration I quickly found from posters like stapfam and Dnvr kept me around.
    +1 million about them and others like them. They know who they are too. You included. The things some of the folks here do is terrifying and nearly unbelievable to new guys. At least it was to me.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

fredelicious mini-masher overthere's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hybrid Specialized Dolce Elite, Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48 here. I like the humor, the civility, the wisdom, the intelligence. I frequent the Womens, Training and Nutrition, soon tandeming and touring! I know I get passed by enough 'old geezers' there must be a secret cycling trick you guys know that I don't!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about how bad the guy making it to 100 would feel in being grouped in 90+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate that word, geezer.

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, dauph! Didja vote? If not, hurry up an' do so, ya ol' geezer.

I would like to note at this time that we have more <50 lurkers than 65+ members. Hm. Interesting demographic....

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    55. post in all of the forums depending on what is interesting. Helps pass the time @ work and there is a lot of useful information passed around
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I hate that word, geezer.
    +1

My Bikes
    Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    Another thread got me to wonderin' just what the age distribution of this interesting, lively, and rather civil forum really is, curious gal that I am. The results may be useful (or not!) to those who wish to create a new forum designed around the special concerns of the 65-year-old+ cyclists in this group.

Presumably, those over 50 years of age subscribe to this forum, well, because it calls out to you, and so I won't ask you to give a reason why you're here, though I'd love to hear your thoughts on what this forum brings to your life, above and beyond the other forums on BF, if you're willing to share them.

As for those lurkers and occasional posters under 50 years of age, like me, I'd really like to hear what it is about this forum that brings you here.

Please vote in your age category according to biological age. If you feel older or younger, please express this in your posts, with any other thoughts you wish to share. Thank you!
    Great poll! I'm 55 for the next couple of weeks. I feel much younger than 55 except during those times when the anatomical realities of wear and tear on the body have made themselves known (I can't run long distances anymore because my knees hurt when I do).

I'm still a fast cyclist, cycle commute most days (I'm in the process of building up a rain commuter, but my preferred bike won't accept fenders, so in severe weather I take public transit), and intend to continue cycling until some physical problem renders it unsafe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    We have a BFN member who is about 85, but he has posted in the 50+ forum only once. He is a physicist living in CA, and I can't remeber his screen name right now, but I will. A couple of years ago he apologized for only riding 2,000 miles - he only has one leg.
    Ah ha! I remembered.

Robert Gardner is the oldest member of the forum that I am aware of. DOB: May 11th, 1921, which makes him 86yo. He posts quite regularly, but very, very seldom on the 50+ forum. I think he doesn't want to be seen with old folks!

See some of his posts here:

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This beats the hell out of that survey a college student wanted to take about a year ago, remember? She wanted to know, among other things, how we were dealing with our impending death.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Ah ha! I remembered.

Robert Gardner is the oldest member of the forum that I am aware of. DOB: May 11th, 1921, which makes him 86yo. He posts quite regularly, but very, very seldom on the 50+ forum. I think he doesn't want to be seen with old folks!

See some of his posts here:
    Thanks for the link and the name, DnvrFox!

Edit: Oops! Linky no worky. I'll search on his name.

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few sub-forums here at BF that I really enjoy. The 50+ forum and the Clydesdale Forum. Both forums have good honest conversations that center around real world cycling experiences that at least I can relate too. Some of the other forums are a little too....too....I'm not sure.

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
    This beats the hell out of that survey a college student wanted to take about a year ago, remember? She wanted to know, among other things, how we were dealing with our impending death.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast