el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand

Several times, mayabe more than several, I have noticed that I can ride hard (what I consider hard) for a time...let's say even as long as 20-30 mins and i am tired but not falling over tired... then on a normal day I take a flight of stairs and I am winded. Does this mean that I am exerting more energy on the stairs than I do on the bike or what??? Or is it a different kind of tired??
    just wondering if any other of you 50+ have noticed this indescrepancy // unevenness// difference...
    peace

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, Floyd. How do you feel when climbing a steep hill, vs what you consider riding hard on relatively flat terrain?

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you may have something there...climbing a hill is like stairs, ya need more stamina, and it does 'wind' me a little more. Good comparison. To be honest when I ride more I do feel in better shape, for the shape i'm in. I was just being curios to get a thread going.
    peace

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen that phenomena too. On the stairs I have not warmed up and my pulse jumps immediately. On the bike I get an easy warm-up coasting down from the hill I live on. Then I will need a mile or two on a 10% grade to feel the same pounding pulse.
    This space open

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ken cummings
    I've seen that phenomena too. On the stairs I have not warmed up and my pulse jumps immediately. On the bike I get an easy warm-up coasting down from the hill I live on. Then I will need a mile or two on a 10% grade to feel the same pounding pulse.
    *cough,cough*

Congratulations, ken. You're in much better condition than I. It only takes me a 10% grade for 1/4-mile to feel that pounding pulse. Then, again, you get to ride some real hills every day. Lucky guy.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd
    Several times, mayabe more than several, I have noticed that I can ride hard (what I consider hard) for a time...let's say even as long as 20-30 mins and i am tired but not falling over tired... then on a normal day I take a flight of stairs and I am winded. Does this mean that I am exerting more energy on the stairs than I do on the bike or what??? Or is it a different kind of tired??
    just wondering if any other of you 50+ have noticed this indescrepancy // unevenness// difference...
    peace

I'm inclined to think this is due to using different muscles. I can ride for 40+ miles and feel great but after 15 minutes on the treadmill at 4 mph I'm gasping for breath

I work on the 4th floor and try to use the stairs instead of the elevator. If I've slacked off the stairs for a few weeks that first trip up them leaves me huffing and puffing.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew, I thought it was just me. Actually I climb alot of hills and the stairs still hurts my legs somedays.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do