Thread: Raining again!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Raining again!

How many in this forum ride in the rain and what special stuff do you do?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    I've ridden in the rain from time to time. I make sure my jersey is color coordinated with my bike, that I have at least TWO breakfast bars, and that I'm already having a bad hair day.

Seriously, I ride my Cypress on rainy days (which hardly happen around here), with no fenders, and just don't try to go as fast as I can. I love the looks I get from people (when I can see them through rain-covered sunglasses).
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My rule is to never start a ride in the rain. It's okay if it starts raining afterward.

I have rain gear but seldom use it other than the helmet cover - wouldn't want the hair to get wet
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weatherman is wrong so many times, I just do what I have planned. If it rains I get wet, if not I sweat and get wet.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bike commute so I often ride in the rain. One of my bikes is an all weather bike it has fenders, disc brakes and is a cyclocross frame which alows for wider (and studded) tires.

If there is a combination of two or more of the following elements (down pouring rain, high wind, below freezing tempertures, snow) I usually drive to work. Otherwise I ride.

The only thing special I would like in the way of equipment for rain would be a set of gators that cover the tops of my bike shoes. My shins and feet get soaked and usually with a gritty, oily water mixture. It sucks.

Rainjackets are nice when it rains and is cold but on warm days I'm usually wet from sweat anyways so I just wear my vest.

Having lights (I leave for work at 4am) really helps make you visable to cagers.

Riding in the dark when it's raining can be especially daunting, when water pools or runs, you can't tell how deep t is. You might hear a car coming and decide to cross a stream of water to get closer to the edge of the road only to find that the stream is covering a foot deep pot hole right where you cross it. "Up; up and awaaaay."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No special stuff, just put on the rainsuit, switch on the lights, and go. Fenders are very helpful.

Paul

My Bikes
    '79 Schwinn Varsity
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably 30% of my evening commutes during the upcoming rainy season are in the rain.....

I have fenders...a must....I use cycling sandals, bike clothes so I don't care about getting wet....I bought a wind visor from Garneau that velcro's to my helmet and covers my eyes ( I touch it up every once in a while with Rainex)...I wear a sweat band so rain doesn't come thru the helmet and into my eyes....

I run with ny headlight on, and a front white blinkie....I have 2 cheap Blinkies on the back and my best item of them all....a Dinotte tailight...so I can definitely be seen....

And most important item of them all....I ride a lot slower....

I have found that I actually like riding in the rain....keeps me cooler during the summer....the only downside is that it does take me a few extra minutes when I get home....have to hose the grit off the bike and relube the chain, before I can make a tall drink....

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. Once the warmer weather arrives I think I'll give rain riding a try.

I'm going to pull the shield out of the junk bin and give the rain-x a try as one of the things that has bothered me the most was water on strong perscription glasses.

The other item is that rain in New England is usually cold.