User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally rode my age

Yesterday I rode my age for the first time. I rode 52.35 miles on the Withalacootchee trail. I started in the town of Holder and rode South through Inverness and Floral City and then the trail gets away from the highway and I rode through the woods and cow pastures. I turned around just past where the trail goes under I-75. I think I did pretty well. I rode by myself and averaged 15.0 mph. I started at 8:00 AM and was back at my truck at 11:40. I stopped after about 5 miles and adjusted my seat up a little and then stopped at 33 miles to refill my water bottle and I had an apple breakfast bar too. When I got back to my truck it was 89 degrees. I think the next time I will start earlier so it is not so hot in the latter part of the ride. My goal for this year was 2,000 miles and so far I am at 1295 combined on my Lemond and my Litespeed, 140 on my Sirrus, and 60 on mountain bike. I hadn't really planned on anything over 30 or 40 miles, but after reading about others doing their age I thought I would try it.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    Yesterday I rode my age for the first time. I rode 52.35 miles on the Withalacootchee trail. I started in the town of Holder and rode South through Inverness and Floral City and then the trail gets away from the highway and I rode through the woods and cow pastures. I turned around just past where the trail goes under I-75. I think I did pretty well. I rode by myself and averaged 15.0 mph. I started at 8:00 AM and was back at my truck at 11:40. I stopped after about 5 miles and adjusted my seat up a little and then stopped at 33 miles to refill my water bottle and I had an apple breakfast bar too. When I got back to my truck it was 89 degrees. I think the next time I will start earlier so it is not so hot in the latter part of the ride. My goal for this year was 2,000 miles and so far I am at 1295 combined on my Lemond and my Litespeed, 140 on my Sirrus, and 60 on mountain bike. I hadn't really planned on anything over 30 or 40 miles, but after reading about others doing their age I thought I would try it.
    Are you 52 years, 4 months and 6 days?
    Congratulations

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go RoMad. Every year that goes by is going to get harder now, but you know that.
    George

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Done RoMad!!!!!! You Go!!!!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hearty congratulations from someone who has never achieved, well at least not since I turned 22, this feat. I consider it a very significant first.

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have yet to ride my age. My Giro is off to you RoMad! That is not an insignificant accomplishment! And congrats on being on-course with your year-end mileage goal! I'm sure you'll surpass that one!

Hm.... Maybe not ridin' my age on my last birthday is partly to blame for this less-than-stellar year I'm havin'. Except, honestly, I suspect that has nothing to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but after reading about others doing their age I thought I would try it.
    Well done, RoMad!

Yes, reading about the accomplishments of other 50+ BFers is good source of ideas and incentive to try something new.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent ride sir and my hearty congratulations. It's a major accomplishment.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My helmet is off to you buddy. Congratulations. And in the same fashion, rode my age (55) plus more (60.4 total for the day). I'll sip my Gatorade for you.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Next goal will be to add 10 miles to that ride for a metric century. Suspect that will be soon with the miles you are racking up.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Super ride. There seems to be a flury of people in this forum getting that age ride in. Well done.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I rode my age for the first time. I rode 52.35 miles on the Withalacootchee trail.
    - whoa! THAT'S GREAT!!!!

- i would like to do the trail... i'm gonna read the thread through and then try to convince my riding buddy (he's 70) to do the trail with me!

- thanks for posting, and congrats!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guybierhaus
    Congratulations! Next goal will be to add 10 miles to that ride for a metric century. Suspect that will be soon with the miles you are racking up.
    This ride your age started a couple of years ago And when I decided to do mine- I did not decide- the bike just took me there. Certain days occur when you can ride for miles and you do- Then you look back the morning after and realise you have done it. Get a short ride in tomorrow to get the muscles working again- only a short one at a low sensible pace and you will be fine.

Well done on the ride- but you know the next goal so wait for the day when the bike is sailing and do it again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Super ride. There seems to be a flury of people in this forum getting that age ride in. Well done.
    Yes there is. And believe me, it's the residents of this BF 50 + community that encouraged me to do my part. I always say to myself, if someone can do it so can I. So I congratulate all that rode their age this weekend. Could it be the BF 50 + the fountain of youth?