User Tag List

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transgressing the boundaries

After awakening from my drug-induced stupor and reversing it with about four cups of Starbucks, I tried unsucessfully to talk my younger daughter into a MTB ride. Crestfallen (not realizing that she had been up until 2 AM watching House reruns), I decided to blunt the psychic pain by inflicting as much physical pain as I thought I could bear. No chatting, no stop-to-smell-the-roadkill, it was mano a mano with the bike and the roads, fully aware that neither bikes nor roads have hands and so the metaphor is almost as bad as what one might find on the editorial page of the New York Times.

But I digress.

Armed with my Garmin and two full bike bottles, I set out for what I guessed would be a 42 miler, which would exceed my previous best of 37 miles.

So I took the road less traveled, which led out into the serious boonies of Kentucky.

Although not as breathtaking as the Pacific coastline, the Bluegrass is not without it's own beauty.

Part of the trip earily was reminiscent of an Alfred Hitchcock movie, as I was strafed by an ultralight in the middle of the trip.

Judging by the jingoistic colors of the ultralight, I'm guessing that the owner is a Republican. I might be wrong about that. In any case, I was able to give the sucker the slip.

About 32 miles into this trip, I had a hunger that Little Debbie cakes could not satiate.

You can be very tired and still manage down a few nightcrawlers. They'll find their own way down.

By this point I think even my bike looked tired.

On the first half of the trip, my front ring usage was about 50% middle, 40% large, and 10% small.
    However, during the last ten miles the usages was about 60% middle and 35% small, saving the large ring only for grades >10%. You studs can bad-mouth a triple all you want. I'll never part with mine.

By the time I got back the house, I was too tired even to plug the Garmin in, so, temporarily ignoring the trip stats, I collapsed in a non-drug induced stupor on my back deck.

You'll not catch me whining that life hasn't indeed been very good to me, at least not very often.

The final MotionBased tally: 46.55 miles, 2900 feet of climbing. I went out with my family to diner and stared straight ahead in a catatonic state during the meal. They seemed to understand.

And that's how I spent my day.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you checked your e-mail yesterday, you could have had company. At least for an MTB ride. Don't know if I'd have been up to a 40+ road ride just yet.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. That half-century is in your cross hairs now!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride, good climb, and nice pix, TWL. Our group rode in the Boston Mountains today, so the scenery is similar. After the group ride, I added a few miles on my own. Instead of an ultralight, I had buzzards circling over me. Perhaps they evaluated my pace and decided that it wouldn't be long

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on a new high The big question is now Beer or Pie?
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Watch out for ultralights. The kids on board throw bottles.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride and great pics. Pity about the whitewalled tyres though- They show up too many stains from the road and I do notice that yours are not that dirty yet.

Sounds like you will be beating the Roubaix to a metric- but TSK seems to be chasing you (You have to give an allowance for the stops on TSK's rides to admire the scenery at the top of his hills)

Well done on the ride- but I did notice NO beer and NO pie at the side of the tub.

And Freeranger- Want a witness to his metric- so get training.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    By this point I think even my bike looked tired.
    A Buenos Aires never looks tired.....but you gave it a good ride and earned a catatonic meal with the family. Once you get the Garmin downloaded, why don't you post your stats for the ride...you can leave out the hot tub part......
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go. Just curious though. Did you have enough change to get you some night crawlers? Maybe that was the difference maker.

Nice ride.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j
    Nice ride, good climb, and nice pix, TWL. Our group rode in the Boston Mountains today, so the scenery is similar. After the group ride, I added a few miles on my own. Instead of an ultralight, I had buzzards circling over me. Perhaps they evaluated my pace and decided that it wouldn't be long
    Boston Mountains? Is that on the Boston Commons somewhere?

Weal Link - that was a great post/pix. You *earned* that nightcrawler snack!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new energy pill - better than GU. The 50+ secret contribution to the American teams in the TdF. Now we know how Lance REALLY won.

Nightcrawlers!

Great ride and ride report and pictures. Well done.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Great ride and great pics. Pity about the whitewalled tyres though- They show up too many stains from the road and I do notice that yours are not that dirty yet.
    That was an artifact of the photo. My tires are plain Bontrager black and the rims are silver. No white-walls for this man. Now red-walls, we're talking uber-cool.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was an artifact of the photo. My tires are plain Bontrager black and the rims are silver. No white-walls for this man. Now red-walls, we're talking uber-cool.
    It looked like very pretty ride, but as far as Bontrager tires, you might want to carry some extra tubes and patches.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love those live bait machines!
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now red-walls, we're talking uber-cool.
    Like these you mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride and report.

Does Kentucky know that you are on the loose????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride & report. Beautifull pixs. The scenery is simlar to Pa. The hot tub should help the legs. A beer or two will help everything else. If nightcrawlers are little too much try the little red worms, bet ya can't eat just one

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride and pictures.

Only in KY could you find a vending machine with bait

I could use the hot tub at this momemt - just came in from a 40 mile ride with headwinds and hills the last 10 miles
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j
    The Boston Mountains? Tell me you didn't ride the highway 71 Scenic Route. Buzzards would not have been evaluating my pace in that country, they would have been evaluating my state of readiness for them to feed on, I'm pretty sure that area would just kill me.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pic of the bike and stacked wood looks familiar. Same place we stopped on the 36'er?? Must have added some mileage onto it--good route, some good hills--sounds like you've got this roadie thing about down. Waiting to read here that you've done that century any week now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    The Boston Mountains? Tell me you didn't ride the highway 71 Scenic Route. Buzzards would not have been evaluating my pace in that country, they would have been evaluating my state of readiness for them to feed on, I'm pretty sure that area would just kill me.
    Yes, we rode from West Fork, AR to the top of Mt. Gaylor and then back down to West Fork. It's a beautiful ride, but Mt. Gaylor can kick your butt if you don't eat and drink correctly and if you don't save a little energy for the climb.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about misreading the photo- That's what comes of years of fat MTB tyres- Now as to those red tyres- Hate to say it but my red tyres are slightly off the red highlights on my bike I know its charcoal or anthracite or dirty black but that little bit of difference in all reds looks off. On my tandem, which is Blue, I went for red highlights- Bar grips- wheel hubs-bottle cages and it goes. Far better though is Black so as I have just saved you 50 on new tyres , you can afford to get a better saddle wedge than that thing nearly hanging on to the back of your bike.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Great ride and report.

Does Kentucky know that you are on the loose????
    Just don't tell my parole officer.