Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thinking about giving up TV...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Thinking about giving up TV...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12193 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
You some kinda communiss, boy?
If that means living without commercials, reruns, special announcements and
everything else I hate about TV these days.....YES!!!!!
Old 06-10-07, 12:37 PM

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since October, I've hardly watched TV. When I do, mostly Brit-coms on PBS. I love "Allo, Allo." Occasionally, I watch a video (one from among the many old classics I have), or a DVD, but this is rare. Instead, at night, I usually putter around on BF and Foo, or work on estate settlement issues, or play at playing my guitars, or I read, or I analyze my time trial data and make modifications to my training program accordingly. Then again, I don't have cable. This may change, though, since dialup is costing me way too much this year.... But I only want cable Internet access, not TV.

Used to listen to books-on-tape with my husband. And used to have the TV on more, mostly PBS, though there were a few shows he liked on broadcast TV. Now the house is mostly quiet. And I really don't miss TV.

Last edited by VegaVixen; 06-10-07 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 12:56 PM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
CrossChain spake. . .

>>>> Feel like Oddyseus washed up among the lotus eaters munching vacant dreams.

You know, for years I've been trying to define the TV experience. I believe Cross' has done it!! BTW, are "vacant dreams" anything like Cheezy-Poofs?

<<Tangent Warning>> Anyone else here noticed a disturbing change in DnvrFox's personality of late? Just askin'.

Old 06-10-07, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I'm too lazy to learn to operate a TV. The whole process of looking through the newspaper to find out what is on and which channel it is on in your area is too much of a hassle. It's so much easier just to read a book.

Paul
Old 06-10-07, 02:15 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
As of 2009, all TV broadcasts will be in HDTV, and you will not be able to receive over-the-air broadcasts on your old TV without a special adapter.

We have cable here, and are getting jerked around by Comcast, which just pulled MSNBC (one of the channels we enjoy) off of our BASIC BASIC $15 per month cable package. They also pulled 2 other channels, with more to be pulled later, I predict.

Now, we have to subscribe to their digital. A newspaper article they ran stated they were trying to get folks into the digital age (I think that means they want to make more money). I phoned them and told them I didn't want to be in the digital age, analog was just fine.

Outside TV antennas are not allowed here, and I would have to do something in my attic or garage. Even so, it would not be good past 2009 except on our one HDTV set.

SOme shows we enjoy

1. PBS - we DO like McLaughlin Group, and some of their other shows.

2. Because we are both heavily into music and singing, we like the American Idol and the dance shows.

3. A few of the shows on Discovery Channel.

4. We don't get it now, but used to enjoy History Channel a bit.

5. HGTV at times, but it is not in our basic package.

6. There are hardly ANY shows on the traditional ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WB that we watch. All the "humor" is so basic that a 5th grader could (and perhaps did) write the script.

7. I am tired of seeing graphic shots of mutilated bodies displayed all over every detective show.

So, we are going to try the lowest cost digital package ($33 per month) for 6 months. Sure, - now I can go through 100 channels before I yell in disgust that nothing is on.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-10-07 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-10-07, 02:36 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
As of 2009, all TV broadcasts will be in HDTV, and you will not be able to receive over-the-air broadcasts on your old TV without a special adapter.
link?
Old 06-10-07, 02:45 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Without TV, I couldn't have had the best chuckle of the week this morning. On one of the Sunday morning news programs, they have a segment called "Sunday Funnies", a recap of funny one-liners from the previous week's TV shows, usually talk shows, usually political humor.
From a David Letterman monologue:
"Paris Hilton is back in jail...still no news about Osama Bin Ladin"
Old 06-10-07, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gave-up TV just about a year ago. I'm in the same home now about a year. At my last home, late in 2005, I stopped paying for cable,ignored the bills,they cut-me-off. Some time later, I decided to get it re-connected,guests thought I was weird not having TV. Even after getting it re-connected, I watched very little, the habbit had been broken. I have cable now it's part of a package; PC, phone, it's a good deal. I almost never watch, two hours per month average. I'm cutting that too, saving the forty bucks more,no cable at all. I'll say it will be WAY WAY more difficult if you live with someone. THAT'S your downfall !
Old 06-10-07, 03:08 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
link?
Common knowledge, but here is a link

https://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/cat/...d/lookLearn.do

1. When will the transition from analog to DTV broadcasting occur?
The Congress has now passed legislation requiring all conventional "analog" TV broadcasting to stop on February 17, 2009. After that date, your local television broadcasters will be making only "DTV" broadcasts. If received via an antenna these broadcasts will require different TV tuners.
Old 06-10-07, 03:50 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a high-def TV and love watching the occasional movie, National Geographic, PBS, Discover (the Planet Earth series was spectacular in HD), and a little baseball & college football from time to time.

The only TV series I've watched in the past 5-7 years was "The West Wing" as I needed the pick me up after watching the news. I liked their "reality" more than mine.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-10-07, 03:57 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[COLOR="Blue"][B]Common knowledge, but here is a link

Actually the requirement is digital TV, not high definition TV. Many digital channels are standard definition.

It is interesting how few people know about the deadline, when it was originally passed by Congress several years ago and was supposed to go into effect around 2006, but was delayed to 2009.

Many people expect them to back off again.

The set top adapters will probably cost around $15-$25 by 2009.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-10-07, 04:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went without a TV for a while and it was amazing how many other things I found to do with my time. I do enjoy working on hobbies (sudoku, needlework, quilting) while watching TV. That gives me a sense of being productive and using some brain power during that otherwise idle time.

You'll get used to it after a couple of weeks. One day at a time, just find something else to do that you really enjoy.

Jen
Old 06-10-07, 06:38 PM
just keep riding

"As of 2009, all TV broadcasts will be in HDTV"

[COLOR="Blue"][B]Common knowledge, but here is a link

That one little letter makes a huge difference between what you said and what the link said (which I was aware of).
You know, that kind of talent for sensationalizing a fairly innocuous fact could land you a bigtime job in network TV news!
Old 06-10-07, 06:58 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
"As of 2009, all TV broadcasts will be in HDTV"

That one little letter makes a huge difference between what you said and what the link said (which I was aware of).
You know, that kind of talent for sensationalizing a fairly innocuous fact could land you a bigtime job in network TV news!
My sincerest apologies. Around here it seems that everything is going to be HDTV. You call that sensationalizing? Goodness.
Old 06-10-07, 07:31 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For years I never had a TV. Then, when I roomate left, I inherited one. Then 8 years ago, I married a shy, kindly Russian woman (I'm writing a book: I Married an Alien). For some godforsaken reason, I decided the best way for her to learn colloquial English was if she watched American TV, so we got cable.

The other day, she said, "If we ever divorce, I will leave you naked."

"Wow," I replied, "where did that come from?"

She smiled, "I've been watching Lifetime, Television for Women."

Isn't that heartwarming?
Old 06-10-07, 07:53 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
... I'm thinking about giving my two TVs to my daughters in a month or so when the oldest gets her first apartment. Then there won't be any in the house.

... I'm counting on doing more cycling, reading, and maybe even a more positive outlook on life without the daily news programs. What else?
I'm about a the same point with the internet... I've vowed to restrict my non-work time on the net to less than 4 hours a week (excluding shopping ). Which also means I have to learn to be a bit more terse...

TV, I'm weaned from soccer and don;t watch any, never watch 'regular' programming, vowed to not watch any stoopid movies with gangsters and guns, or just plain stoopid movies. Which leaves TVLand, Cyclsm, Ski Racing and MotoGP/World SuperBike/Supersport and the occasional very good documentary. Oh and recorded and 'edited' BBC News and DW Journal (both edited to remove talkin flatulent heads).

TV is a pretty easy thing to ignore...
Old 06-10-07, 08:56 PM
just keep riding

My sincerest apologies. Around here it seems that everything is going to be HDTV. You call that sensationalizing? Goodness.
You saw the wink, right?
Making something sound bigger than it is, that's pretty much what TV is all about these days. At least the parts of it I choose to skip.

The HDTV thing scared me. I know I'll eventually get an HDTV set, but not for a few years I hope. Once everyone has it, it will get cheap. For now, I'd rather spend my scrounged pennies on bikes and vacations.
Old 06-10-07, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When the cable tv revolution was going to have 500 channels everyone was excited. Now that you have 50 channels and there is nothing but c**p on what are they saying?
Old 06-10-07, 09:11 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
When the cable tv revolution was going to have 500 channels everyone was excited. Now that you have 50 channels and there is nothing but c**p on what are they saying?
My satellite DBS system gives me over 300 channels. But most of my viewing is of my 38 HD channels.

Old 06-10-07, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are very few things on TV worth my time. Nightly business report is pretty good, Nova is always good, National Gergraphic has some very good stuff. Sopranos was good, too bad it's over, Rome is pretty good, that's about it. Network TV is dead to me, and so is network news. Sports on TV used to be a big deal, but not any more.
Old 06-10-07, 09:46 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG,

Shoot your TV.

Our household has been TV free since 1997. Raised two teenagers w/o it who seem to be reasonable adjusted young adults. The Younger daughter just graduated summa *** laude Trinity University and is fast on her Lemond Reno.

Tyson
Old 06-10-07, 10:14 PM
Cheyenne Commuter

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot UO8 (many, many upgrades ;-)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone over on the Commuting forum has a signature that says "Throw your TV at your car."

My sentiments exactly.
Old 06-10-07, 10:37 PM
Old Fogy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My poor wife is hooked on tv, so we have cable for her. I used to watch the news, but I've gotten so I just scan the newspaper. I do like to watch NBA basketball, and the occasional History Channel or Animal Planet show. The neighbors already shake their heads when they see me go by on one of my bikes, especially if is not a balmy summer day. I wouldn't dare let it be known that I didn't have a boob tube.
Old 06-11-07, 01:09 AM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about watching programs on the Net

https://en.yamour.com/

Movies and TV progs for free

george
Old 06-11-07, 02:31 AM

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jibi
How about watching programs on the Net

https://en.yamour.com/

Movies and TV progs for free

george
Not bad for those with something besides dialup, unlike me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.