Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small adjustment= big dif.in performance...

Donna and I took a short (18 mile) ride today, and it was amazing how much better she was riding! On our last time out together, noticed that she seemed to have a little too much bend in her knee, so raised the seat till it looked about right (couple of tries till the leg extension looked right), and she said it felt OK. Well, must have gotten it right! Usually, she's lagging a bit behind, but was on my rear wheel today! Just realized something also--isn't it nice when you can call 18 miles a "short" ride. Of course this was a fairly easy ride, a few hills, but nothing crazy. Don't know if I want her on my rear wheel so effortlessly, though, maybe the next "adjustment" will be 10 lbs.less in the tires!! Only kidding!! And why is it that the more "super roadie" apparel a rider is wearing, the less likely they are to wave back?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger
    And why is it that the more "super roadie" apparel a rider is wearing, the less likely they are to wave back?
    They wave, just not at you.

I've been in the market for a new car. I want a car that's long enough to hold my tandem on the inside yet short enough to fit into my garage. That's a tough requirement. The short list has only two models: the short version of the Dodge Caravan and the Honda Element. I was test driving an Element with my son and we encountered another Element coming the opposite direction. The driver gave us a big grin and a wave. I'd driven Caravans for years and nobody ever waved. I'm buying the Element because it's a "cooler" car to own.

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great that you caught that, freeranger! I rode with a friend a few months ago who'd just put new pedals on one of his two bikes so he wouldn't have to change out his cleats between bikes. He was so sluggish on the ride that I kept running up on his wheel, and had to keep passing him. He knew something didn't feel right, and his legs were just wearing out, especially on the hills. He looked everything over that night, and told me at the next ride that he'd forgotten to readjust the saddle to take into account the difference in height due to the new pedals. He made the adjustment, and the next ride was much better. And his legs stayed strong.

Yes, it is amazing how such a seemingly trivial and minor adjustment can make such a big difference.

For what it's worth, I'm a "super roadie," and I wave at anyone on a bike, and at any driver who is patient enough to wait for me to pass before entering the road or otherwise turning in front of me. <wavin' and smilin' at freeranger>

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    For what it's worth, I'm a "super roadie," and I wave at anyone on a bike, and at any driver who is patient enough to wait for me to pass before entering the road or otherwise turning in front of me. <wavin' and smilin' at freeranger>
    Super roadies do not recognise anything less than a $4,000 bike that is doing at least 25mph. I wave at anything but then I ride alone and am just pleased to see anyone on our country lanes and I am not a super anything. Now When we are up on the hills on the tandem we just get stared at. No- one can believe that anyone would be so Stupid to ride one- let alone take it offroad. Then they catch us on the uphills and they start chatting. Even the ones on the top of the range bikes. Unfortunately we always seem to lose them on the flatter parts or the downhills so all the conversations are cut short.

Now as to that pedal and leg length. All Newcomers want the security of being able to touch the ground. They only start to work efficiently once the saddle has been adjusted to fore and aft and Height. Once that is sorted- It is handlebar height and length so you probably have some adjustment still to do. Best thing you can do right now is to set your bike up for the wife. Once you have got that done- you can go out and buy a new bike as there is no way you can ride her bike.Unless she has the $4,000 one that does 25mph everywhere.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    That's great that you caught that, freeranger! I rode with a friend a few months ago who'd just put new pedals on one of his two bikes so he wouldn't have to change out his cleats between bikes. He was so sluggish on the ride that I kept running up on his wheel, and had to keep passing him. He knew something didn't feel right, and his legs were just wearing out, especially on the hills. He looked everything over that night, and told me at the next ride that he'd forgotten to readjust the saddle to take into account the difference in height due to the new pedals. He made the adjustment, and the next ride was much better. And his legs stayed strong.

Yes, it is amazing how such a seemingly trivial and minor adjustment can make such a big difference.

Great point VV (and what are you doing in here???- not that you're not welcome mind you... ) I just refitted my Volpe with new pedals, and my butt's a-hurtin' after a 35 miler. Raised the seat a tad (not much- just 1/4") and feels MUCH better now. It's amazing how much dialing in helps when you add new components like pedals!

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, MTBLover! <wavin'> Ever gonna make it for a Southeast BF ride in the NC mountains? Those crazy mountain fellers are trying to organize another one for July! Maybe I can do this one. Just got a new cassette for mountain riding!

[Oops. Sorry for the brief thread hi-jack! ]

My Bikes
    mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can always tell when I have raised my saddle a bit too much. Somehow it makes my clothing the least bit tighter and I begin to get chafing on any piece of skin. I experiment with raising the saddle until the sense of chafing begins, and then I lower it just a tiny bit until the sense of chafing goes away.
    Who am I?
    Where did I come from?
    Why am I here?
    Where am I going?