I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do 'bent riders ride clipless?

I know, I know, I could post this in the 'bent forum. I like it here better. So anyways, what kind of pedals to 'bent riders prefer?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I know, I know, I could post this in the 'bent forum. I like it here better. So anyways, what kind of pedals to 'bent riders prefer?
    Yes. I happen to use Speedplay Frogs because I prefer to wear shoes that I can walk in, but one can use any kind of clipless pedals that they want. If I didn't use clipless pedals, my feet would fall off the pedals!

More pics of the same bike: http://imageevent.com/trsnrtr/cycling/volaeteam
    Last edited by Trsnrtr; 06-10-07 at 05:10 PM.
    Dennis T

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! If you'll forgive a question that reveals my naivete (something I rarely do), how does one mount this bike and get started? Seems like those pedals are WAY up there!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! If you'll forgive a question that reveals my naivete (something I rarely do), how does one mount this bike and get started?
    Throw your leg over it and go!
    Dennis T

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got to bring up the pedal and give it a push to get some forward momentum. You don't stay on a bent with both legs up and when you aren't moving.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! If you'll forgive a question that reveals my naivete (something I rarely do), how does one mount this bike and get started? Seems like those pedals are WAY up there!
    Keep it in a fairly low gear, start off pedaling with one pedal, and get your other foot up there quickly. Whenever you're stopped, keep a brake squeezed, it helps stabilize the bike.

I switched from SPD to Eggbeaters. A tiny bit harder to push into, but they release instantly, and have a bit of float.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clipped in allows me to let the weight of my leg help me pull down and back while pedaling.
    Last edited by Dchiefransom; 02-08-09 at 10:38 AM.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't gone clipless or equivalent on my bent yet, and I believe it's a reason why I'm having some problems adapting to it.

I am now riding with PowerGrips on my upright, and while they do grip my shoes for a nice, tight fit, I don't think there is any performance difference. So I might swap them over to my bent to see if they can help me develop a smoother motion.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my bent.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used platform pedals for the first few weeks of bent riding, then switched to dual-sided Performance Campus pedals. The SPD side is used 95% of the time.
    The Tailwind has a moderately low bottom bracket, so it's not too hard to learn to get it going.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JanMM; 06-10-07 at 09:52 PM.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
    Yes. I happen to use Speedplay Frogs because I prefer to wear shoes that I can walk in, but one can use any kind of clipless pedals that they want. If I didn't use clipless pedals, my feet would fall off the pedals!

More pics of the same bike: http://imageevent.com/trsnrtr/cycling/volaeteam
    Nice machine...I see quite a few bents on the road which includes Volaes and most of the bents have fairings. They seem to go slower up hills. I assume that is because one cannot produce as much power in the recumbent position. Is that the case, or are the guys that I see riding, just not producing enough power as they could for whatever the reason?
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure do! I ride a Rans Rocket and the BB is pretty high. I found that being clipped in, that I can rest and let my feet hang while clipped in. I use a double sided platform pedal made by Welgo in my case. One side is a flat platform and the other is a SPD style clip. I use the platform to start off, and while underway, snap into the clip. When I stop, I only unclip my right foot if I know I am going to start off right away.
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    Nice machine...I see quite a few bents on the road which includes Volaes and most of the bents have fairings. They seem to go slower up hills. I assume that is because one cannot produce as much power in the recumbent position. Is that the case, or are the guys that I see riding, just not producing enough power as they could for whatever the reason?
    In most cases a Bent will be slower than a DF going uphill. Some of this has to do with power transfer. The DF rider can stand and exert more pressure on the pedals than can the Bent rider from what I've seen.

I have found that my Recumbent is very good cross-training for when I take out my Tandem with my wife. You need to use all your gears on both bikes, and most of the truths of both bikes hold true when compared to one another.

I have seen some very very strong riders on bents. Once you get your legs accustomed and conditioned to riding a bent, these folks are almost as fast up the hill as a DF rider. Now going down the other side, the DF rider better tuck in behind the Bent because the Bent for the most part can and will drop ya.

I can feel that I do use different muscles riding my bent. I also get less of an full body work out due to the reclined position and the "praying mantis" set up for the handlebars. I barely need to exert any pressure when I am steering. I am very VERY relaxed when Bent riding. I can drink my Sunday Coffee with one hand and not spill a drop when I'm on the canal path.

Chris
    A Mess of old bikes...
    92 Trek 970
    08 Gary Fisher Paragon

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm clipless, too. I use Bebops. Most bent riders prefer mtb shoes because it is tougher to gain traction enough with your foot down to hold yourself in a sitting position than it is with the standing position you can use on an upright. There are a few bent riders (mostly racers, from what I've seen) who use road shoes and pedals, anyway.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    They seem to go slower up hills. I assume that is because one cannot produce as much power in the recumbent position. Is that the case, or are the guys that I see riding, just not producing enough power as they could for whatever the reason?
    I climb a little slower on the Volae than I do my Fujin SL-II. However, my Fujin climbs as well as any upright that I ever owned and that's well over 15 lightweight racing bikes. Here's the Fujin:

Dennis T

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do they make those seats out of the shredded truck tires I see along the interstates?

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use SPD's here. I don't have to worry about feet falling off the pedals and maybe causing a wreck, and like ang1s I can let my feet hang.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do 'bent riders ride clipless?

Hey, DG, I don't think bent riders are any more clueless than anyone else on the 50+ Forum, why do you always have to be picking on peop.......oh, you said clipless........never mind.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin