Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Local Bike Shops that you like--and hate

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-08-07, 08:28 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me state up front, I DO NOT WORK FOR A BIKE STORE AND AM NOT AFFILIATED IN ANY WAY WITH A BIKE COMPANY.

A lot of us travel around and ride. I think sharing our favorite local bike shops would help a lot of people when we travel and experience trouble. I know, this may be better on touring, but lots of us go to ralleys on the weekends.

My favorite are Colonel's Bike Shop in Ft. Worth, Texas. Doug and Rick and the staff do an excellent job and will take care of you honestly and promply--and they can discuss a good bottle of wine with the best.

Peyton's Bikes in Midland, Texas will do anything to help a biker. You're in good hands w/David, John, Rick and Howard.

Perhaps it might be good to list some bike shops you've had negative experiences in.
Old 06-08-07, 08:59 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Can't say I hate any, just like some more than others. I've had some individuals in LBS's who I thought could be a little more cust.service oriented, but that's anywhere you go. I really miss the Performance store that was in Towson, Md. Shopping there was like being a kid in a candy shop! Had everything you could imagine and honored catalog sales prices also. Now that I think back, there was one store I didn't particularly care for, but they are out of business, so guess a lot of people felt that way! Most of the shops around here treat you decently, but don't carry a lot of stock. I think internet shopping has really hurt many LBS, so they might not carry the inventory they once might have.
Old 06-08-07, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think this is going to work. Kind of like the new car surveys and it may be awhile till I am back in Texas again.
Old 06-08-07, 09:03 PM
Happy Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Can't say I hate any, just like some more than others. I've had some individuals in LBS's who I thought could be a little more cust.service oriented, but that's anywhere you go. I really miss the Performance store that was in Towson, Md. Shopping there was like being a kid in a candy shop! Had everything you could imagine and honored catalog sales prices also. Now that I think back, there was one store I didn't particularly care for, but they are out of business, so guess a lot of people felt that way! Most of the shops around here treat you decently, but don't carry a lot of stock. I think internet shopping has really hurt many LBS, so they might not carry the inventory they once might have.
You know, the one I didn't care for is out of business, I think. When I went by to ride, he wasn't there. Now they are gone frome their present location. I had set up a demo to ride an Orbea Orca, I thought. The owner didn't show up.
Old 06-08-07, 09:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I've tried a lot of dealers in Houston and the one I like the best would be BicycleWorld and fitness.
Old 06-08-07, 09:09 PM
Happy Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
I don't think this is going to work. Kind of like the new car surveys and it may be awhile till I am back in Texas again.
Some of us travel OUTSIDE of Texas. It would be nice to get the bike fixed..
Old 06-08-07, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can see what you mean,there are aspects of some shops I like better than others. I'm new to my town. The LBS,one of only two within an hours drive is a bit smaller,still a big shop. The owner at the "better" shop is more accessable, still doesn't always listen.He's a good guy,treats me well and is progressive. The larger shop has ten or so techs., the sales help is helpfull, patient and kind, they ARE intimidating as a repair facility. Leave the bike.. OK bye. Where I used to live there were ten LBSs within a ten minute drive, fifteen within a twenty minute drive. I was hard-pressed to spread-it-around. One LBS,some 30 minutes away,near my job had the lowest prices on bikes AND labor. He had NOS bikes, great deals, I brought HIM the most clients. There were some snooty ones as well, the newest models, NO test rides.
Old 06-08-07, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A&B Cycle in Springfield is great. Downhill Bike shop in Branson seems to be a very nice shop too. Springfield Bicycle Company is smaller and caters more to a younger crowd, but they have been good to me too, that's where I got the Coda. No horrid experiences as of yet, thankfully.
Old 06-08-07, 09:21 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I've had better luck in my garage than at any of the local bike shops. But I can't say that I've tried them all, yet.
Old 06-08-07, 10:33 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Bikeworld" in San Antonio replaced a busted front derailer when we went coast to coast. The mechanic (Alex) was floor to ceiling in backed up work, but took care of us first to get us on our way. He told us, "free labor in return for trip stories. I have to keep working, but I'm listening." LOL.
Old 06-09-07, 01:04 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have an LBS that I use. They treat me right and they carry the sort of stuff that I want.
My LBS is a family run business and the the owner- the son and the Mechanic all race. Not that this has a direct bearing on my using them- but they carry quality stock as well as the run of the mill stuff for the average rider.

In our local town there was a bike shop that catered for the masses. Plenty of low end bikes and parts to service them but nothing of quality. Ok to run in and get a brake cable or a cheap pump but want a pair of Koolstop brake blocks for the wet ride tomorrow--forget it. I bought a road bike last year from my LBS and went to my local shop at the end of a ride and the owner asked why I did not buy from him. Easy- He was more expensive- Did not carry the bike in stock and it would have taken him 1 month to get it. Went to MY LBS and he had 4 of the bikes in stock- all different sizes- He took time sortin gthe bike for me and gave me a good discount.

I use My LBS because they are good. It may be small and they may not carry all that I want but They will always get it for me and I don't get moaned at if I take more than 5 minutes to decide on whether I want The red one or the Purple one.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-09-07, 07:45 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Since I prefer vintage bikes, do my own work, and have bought only one new bicycle in my entire life ($150 1971 American Eagle Semi-Pro / Nishiki Competition) no shop will be able to create a viable business model around clients such as I. However, I do buy parts and I do recommend shops to friends, so it still pays to treat me properly. Fortunately, Leucadia Cyclery always has.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-10-07, 09:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gran Fondo in Nashville https://www.granfondocycles.com/home

America's #1 Independent Bianchi dealer for 2005/6. (...check the logo on the right side of the home page) Specializing in Italian and European bikes.

When I went shopping for my first road bike last year, they were the best 'kick the tires' experience. More info for a newbie like me and the test ride was not limited to the parking lot like another shop. Sent out the door with general directions to a nice riding area and had plenty of time to get a feel for the bike. Changed the seat and stem during the initial 'fit and stretch' period after the purchase without any additional charge. Ask for Lynn, he put up with an old newbie that had more questions than anyone should have to endure and provided the service that will keep me as a satisfied customer.