Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Raining again!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Raining again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 09:38 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Raining again!

How many in this forum ride in the rain and what special stuff do you do?
Old 06-09-07, 09:45 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I've ridden in the rain from time to time. I make sure my jersey is color coordinated with my bike, that I have at least TWO breakfast bars, and that I'm already having a bad hair day.

Seriously, I ride my Cypress on rainy days (which hardly happen around here), with no fenders, and just don't try to go as fast as I can. I love the looks I get from people (when I can see them through rain-covered sunglasses).

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-09-07, 10:16 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My rule is to never start a ride in the rain. It's okay if it starts raining afterward.

I have rain gear but seldom use it other than the helmet cover - wouldn't want the hair to get wet

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-09-07, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
The weatherman is wrong so many times, I just do what I have planned. If it rains I get wet, if not I sweat and get wet.
Old 06-09-07, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I bike commute so I often ride in the rain. One of my bikes is an all weather bike it has fenders, disc brakes and is a cyclocross frame which alows for wider (and studded) tires.

If there is a combination of two or more of the following elements (down pouring rain, high wind, below freezing tempertures, snow) I usually drive to work. Otherwise I ride.

The only thing special I would like in the way of equipment for rain would be a set of gators that cover the tops of my bike shoes. My shins and feet get soaked and usually with a gritty, oily water mixture. It sucks.

Rainjackets are nice when it rains and is cold but on warm days I'm usually wet from sweat anyways so I just wear my vest.

Having lights (I leave for work at 4am) really helps make you visable to cagers.

Riding in the dark when it's raining can be especially daunting, when water pools or runs, you can't tell how deep t is. You might hear a car coming and decide to cross a stream of water to get closer to the edge of the road only to find that the stream is covering a foot deep pot hole right where you cross it. "Up; up and awaaaay."
Old 06-09-07, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
No special stuff, just put on the rainsuit, switch on the lights, and go. Fenders are very helpful.

Paul
Old 06-11-07, 07:37 AM

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably 30% of my evening commutes during the upcoming rainy season are in the rain.....

I have fenders...a must....I use cycling sandals, bike clothes so I don't care about getting wet....I bought a wind visor from Garneau that velcro's to my helmet and covers my eyes ( I touch it up every once in a while with Rainex)...I wear a sweat band so rain doesn't come thru the helmet and into my eyes....

I run with ny headlight on, and a front white blinkie....I have 2 cheap Blinkies on the back and my best item of them all....a Dinotte tailight...so I can definitely be seen....

And most important item of them all....I ride a lot slower....

I have found that I actually like riding in the rain....keeps me cooler during the summer....the only downside is that it does take me a few extra minutes when I get home....have to hose the grit off the bike and relube the chain, before I can make a tall drink....
Old 06-11-07, 07:47 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Once the warmer weather arrives I think I'll give rain riding a try.

I'm going to pull the shield out of the junk bin and give the rain-x a try as one of the things that has bothered me the most was water on strong perscription glasses.

The other item is that rain in New England is usually cold.