Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I am ready- One month from Today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 03:22 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday I did a full dress rehearsal for my little jaunt from Pittsurgh to DC one month from today. I loaded up the panniers, hung them on the bike, and rode 75 miles. I averaged 15 mph which means it will probably be about 13 or so on the bike paths since they aren't paved. Feel fine this morning so I am not worried about actually pedaling it. Needed to do this now to make sure everything worked the way it's supposed to. Everything is new from the bike to the bags

I am getting psyched, and driving my wife nuts in the process. When I get back, I'll start driving her even crazier because I still plan a two week tour in Sep, probably around Lake Michigan.

Just want to say that this forum is partly the reason for these trips this year. Last year I didn't get a chance to do anything because of some huge changes with work. As a result, I didn't ride hardly at all, didn't visit the gyms at the hotels when I traveled (which last year was 29 of 52 weeks), ate a ton of fatty restaurant food, and snacked in my room at night. As a result, the day after Christmas I weighed myself - 204 pounds. I am 5'10" so that was a little heavy. Quite a shock for me since up until last year I had kept myself in pretty good shape year 'round.

As of this morning I weigh 170 pounds which is exactly what I weighed when I graduauted in 1971 from HS, and feel even better than I have in years.

I have used each of ya'll as inspiration to get back into shape. Everyone of you in some form or another helped me out.

Thanks everyone. This is going to be a great summer.
Old 06-11-07, 03:42 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You kept that quiet. So how long has this obsession with losing weight been with you?

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime but it sounds as though you will be doing others. Just don't tell me you are doing it on a bent or a brooks.

I'll be thinking of you when I do my little 30 mile trips at the weekend. No I won't- unless you keep us informed of the quality of pie as you travel around- Keep in touch and good luck.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-11-07, 05:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got down to 175 pretty quick. Bought an elliptical right after Christmas. All I have done is eat better, and spend some time on either the elliptical, whatever machine is in the hotel fitness room, or my bike every day. The last 5 pounds were harder than the first 25.

Regular Cannondale Touring Bike, the T800. Got a "new" 2006 at a good price since the 07's were already out.
Old 06-11-07, 07:02 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like you're ready for the trip. I hope you plan on taking lots of pictures for us.

I've read several trip reports for this trail and everyone seems to have a great time. I've only been on sections of it but want to get back there someday.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-11-07, 07:17 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
We expect a full story to be posted in Crazyguyonabike.
Old 06-11-07, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy trails Mike. 15 MPH is amazing on a fully loaded touring machine. Take time to visit and chat with locals. While the geography is fun to look at, the real treat is visiting with the folks. Have fun, be safe and keep the wind on your donkey!!
Old 06-11-07, 10:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy trails Mike. 15 MPH is amazing on a fully loaded touring machine. Take time to visit and chat with locals. While the geography is fun to look at, the real treat is visiting with the folks. Have fun, be safe and keep the wind on your donkey!!
I should clarify, I don't tour fully loaded. I credit card so no tents, sleeping bags, etc. I use the Ortleib front roller classic panniers. Just one set, so I am pretty light.
Old 06-11-07, 03:52 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
I got down to 175 pretty quick. Bought an elliptical right after Christmas. All I have done is eat better, and spend some time on either the elliptical, whatever machine is in the hotel fitness room, or my bike every day. The last 5 pounds were harder than the first 25.

Regular Cannondale Touring Bike, the T800. Got a "new" 2006 at a good price since the 07's were already out.
Hey Mike, I was looking at them on the internet and they don't show a weight for the bike. Would you happen to know what it is ?
Old 06-11-07, 06:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Mike, I was looking at them on the internet and they don't show a weight for the bike. Would you happen to know what it is ?
I can weigh it. It will be a bit more. I added a tubus front rack and clipless/platform pedals. I'll weight it tomorrow and let you know. I really like mine.