Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault on Mt Mitchell Report

Wonderful day and ride. Terrific results. No cramping....hooray!!

A new personal best for me and my brother. I had my previous best time last year and improved on that by another 16 minutes. I was totally surprised but everything fell in place perfectly today. The first time I did the ride 6 years ago my time was 8hrs 15 mins. Today I was able to finish in 6hr 38 mins. Just another example of how you can continue to improve over time and overcome some of this aging stuff.

I usually am able to hang with the front group for about 30 miles. For some unexplained reason I was extremely fortunate to have stayed with the Peloton the first 65 miles where I had to jump off as I had run dry of fluids. If I had even thought of being able to stay that long I could have carried another water bottle and maybe gotten another 15-20 miles until the real climbing started-but I'm totally thrilled as it is.

The weather was pretty good for riding. It was very cloudy all day and we never saw or felt the heat of the sun. While it was very humid, it was probably in the 70's just about the entire ride, especially with the cooler temps as we increased in elevation.

I was so worried about cramping I did everything I knew to do the week before and I guess something helped. I increased fluid intake, tooks some potassium supplements, stopped my diuretic 5 days prior to the event, took some electrolytes capsules the day before the ride and took 3 more during the ride. I had one or two little muscle tweaks late in the ride but no real cramps whatsoever.

I guess my preparation was just right for me leading up to the ride. I suspect the familiarity with the route helped as well-knowing where you can go fast and knowing where to conserve. And knowing you're just going to go slow and grind it out on the Parkway for 3 hours so you know to just sit back and spin and try and keep the form.

I tossed a coin on using the 12-27 cassette or the 11-32. I knew that I'd be spending most of the last 25 miles in either the 34/27 or the 34/28 (next to easiest gear on the 11-32) and went with the 11-32. I did use the 32 from around 100-101 miles as I just didn't have a lot of push left in the legs and tried to spin a little faster. It was nice having it as a bailout and the 28 didn't seem to slow be down too much over the 27.

And of course the aide of the 50+ BFer's...couldn't have done it without the Bike Angels!!!

The stats:

102.71 miles
    Riding time-6hrs 35 min
    Total time-6hrs 38 mins (2 quick stops)
    Avg speed-15.6 mph (note I did the first 65 miles in 2hrs 58 mins for 21.9 mph avg)
    Max speed-45.9 mph
    8538 calories burned
    Nutrition on the bike: 2 Bananas, 6 peanut butter crackers, 1 Gu
    Fluids-5 bottles of 24 ounce drinks-about 1/2 water and 1/2 sports drink
    Avg Cadence-75rpm
    Total feet climbed-10,600-11,000
    First 75 miles-3hrs 28 mins
    Last 27 miles-3 hrs 10 mins
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jppe; 06-12-07 at 07:34 AM.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kudos! I'm flabbergasted at those stats. Incredible performance.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    +1

Congratulations on a fantastic ride
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Flatlander
    in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is *awesome* *amazing* and *impressive*!

Congratulations!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Words escape me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job and keep it up. . You, I and my wife are certainly bracketing the possibilities for high performance biking. Let's keep pushing the envelope.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not human, jppe. You're an illegal alien from another galaxy.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <lookin' over data>

*thunk*

<gettin' up slowly from floor>

Day-um. That's one incredible Assault on Mount Mitchell. And now I'm feelin' really small that I didn't ride at all today because of some little thunderclaps all afternoon.

I am The Wuss!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe,

I took the new BMC out for quick 10 miler yesterday in your honor, glad to see we helped. Great Job, you continue to just astonish me.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a new forum just for jppe (and a couple of others). The 50+ Superpeople Forum!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a wall or mountain ? NO thanks, nice ride.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats! Fantastic ride. How do you compare it to Mountains of Misery?

I am a firm believer that the bike is the 'fountain of youth'... motivation to keep up with the younger set, and then pushing them, because they don't want to get beat by 'the old guy'...

congratulations on a great ride--maybe we can do it together next year-

train safe-

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride, jppe! I ain't even going to tell you what the puny amount of climbing was that my wife and I did on our 25.4 mile tandem ride.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!
    Quite an accomplishment!

Paul

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=buelito]How do you compare it to Mountains of Misery?QUOTE]

Very good question. Mountains of Misery is an excellent training ride for AOMM. I'm really glad I did it as I think it helped if nothing more than just time in the saddle doing hills. What really makes MOM is the last 3 miles. My goodness. The steepness of that climb after 100+ miles is hard to duplicate. Plus, with some longer climbs throughout MOM, it is harder to stay grouped up so you find yourself doing more of the ride solo.

For AOMM, there is not as much climbing the first 75 miles so you can ride with groups better but the last 25 is a grind. The last 25 is not steep but it just wears on you after a while-both physically and mentally. You're going along grades of 6%-8% and it just keeps going up and up and up. There is no relief in spinning so you're constantly pedaling for about 3 hours-except for a very brief downhill at about 92 miles. The road up to the top in the park has grades of about 9-11% and I was at least two gears easier than normal. It was frustrating not having the power to push the gear you want to push but I took satisfaction in moving forward.

My time was a little slower on MOM but part of that was I didn't have any power in the legs that day for some reason. I could never get my heartrate up to where I normally ride so from a time perspective it's hard for me to judge which one takes me longer.

Overall I'd say they are very comparable time wise but just different styles of centuries. One thing they have in common is they are both great challenges and leave you feeling pretty used up afterwards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! What a climb!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done! Now the guilt is kicking in, and I'll have to starting my climbing training again. Wow, what a ride.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    +1 as well.

And thanks for the pix . . . makes me want to jump on my bike and head for the top of Grand Mesa (my nemisis about 30 miles away and 5,500 feet above my house!)
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great time on the Assault! I rode it back in '88 (yeah, before I was 50+!) and remember it was a beautiful ride with dramatic changes in weather as we rode up the mountain. Don't remember my time, but it probably wasn't as fast as yours!

Best Regs,
    Rick / OCRR

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Wonderful day and ride. Terrific results. No cramping....hooray!!

I tossed a coin on using the 12-27 cassette or the 11-32. I knew that I'd be spending most of the last 25 miles in either the 34/27 or the 34/28 (next to easiest gear on the 11-32) and went with the 11-32. I did use the 32 from around 100-101 miles as I just didn't have a lot of push left in the legs and tried to spin a little faster. It was nice having it as a bailout and the 28 didn't seem to slow be down too much over the 27.

Congrats on the ride but You have given me hope- If you can do it with a compact- I should be able to make my 1 mile steep ones with one aswell. Just as long as they don't suddenly get longer.

Well done on the ride but get by the pool and have a piece of pie- That is providing the Non-Riders for support from yesterday haven't eaten it already
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the most difficult part for me was a road called "Buck Creek" (if I'm remembering that right). The last miles (after we hit the Blue Ridge Parkway) weren't that bad for me.

Though that was quite a few years ago, so maybe Buck Creek isn't part of the ride any longer. Lots of steep switchbacks, for sure!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
    I remember the most difficult part for me was a road called "Buck Creek" (if I'm remembering that right). The last miles (after we hit the Blue Ridge Parkway) weren't that bad for me.

Though that was quite a few years ago, so maybe Buck Creek isn't part of the ride any longer. Lots of steep switchbacks, for sure!

Rick / OCRR
    Could it have been Bill's Creek Rd by chance? It's the first real climb on the route and tends to separate the field. There is a Buck Creek Rd but it is 100+ miles west of the route........

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe . . . it was awhile ago. But it was the road from the main big town (at about the 100 mile point) up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, whatever that's called. Or, . . . maybe it was Buck Creek and they've changed the route since '88?

I just remember it was steep, lots of switchbacks. If I looked down, I was looking right on top of the helmet of the person behind me. If I looked up, I was looking at the bottom of the bottom bracket shell of the bike ahead of me. Plus, they had rest-stops (checkpoints?) spaced every 5 miles on this road. I was in my 30x27, which I remember only because my Mercian is still geared that way.

On the other hand, I could be miss-remembering the name of the road!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
    Maybe . . . it was awhile ago. But it was the road from the main big town (at about the 100 mile point) up to the Blue Ridge Parkway, whatever that's called. Or, . . . maybe it was Buck Creek and they've changed the route since '88?

I just remember it was steep, lots of switchbacks. If I looked down, I was looking right on top of the helmet of the person behind me. If I looked up, I was looking at the bottom of the bottom bracket shell of the bike ahead of me. Plus, they had rest-stops (checkpoints?) spaced every 5 miles on this road. I was in my 30x27, which I remember only because my Mercian is still geared that way.

On the other hand, I could be miss-remembering the name of the road!

Rick / OCRR
    That is most likely Hwy 80-while it isn't too steep compared to many climbs, being later in the ride it is a good climb with the steeper part about 3 miles long. It has a number of switchbacks and is steeper than the Parkway.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The preliminary results are in and I'm 194th out of 834 finishers. I'm pretty happy with a top 200.

In 2004 I was around 318 out of about 800+.

So yes, 50+ers can improve.

Now, where is the limit of improvement?????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast