User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pedaling a paddle boat

The weather was so perfect yesterday evening that my wife and I grabbed some KFC and headed to a local park for a picnic and some walking. There's a large lake there, and on a whim we decided to rent one of those paddle-boat things just for fun. I was thinking that my cycling legs are in such good shape that I could run that thing all over the lake.

Was I ever wrong! The seat-pedal arrangement on those is made so a kid can use it, so for me it felt like riding on a bike with the seat about two feet too low. Talk about tiring out my legs really quick. On the other hand, my wife is a good bit shorter and has also been cycling a lot lately, and she was having a lot better a time of it. All in all we had fun acting like a couple of kids out there, but it sure reminded me why we place a lot of importance on proper fitting of a cycle.

By the way, this park (Stony Creek for those of you in SE Mich) is really popular with cyclists. The casual and family riders take the paved path around the lake (~6 miles) while the roadies burn up the nearby park road loop. There were tons of them out yesterday, so I'm planning on hauling my road bike out there tonight for some "time trial" fun!

My Bikes
    Klein Reve V, Trek 7700fx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good time. Yes those boats are not fun for anyone with some height to them. I like to hit Stoney and Kensington every now and then. Very nice parks.

dbg
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5900 Superlight, 2001 Lemond BA, Dozen other muts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always had this dream.... about building a pontoon-ish water craft with a drive mechanism that could accept a bike --maybe similar to the way indoor trainers are setup. You'd take your own, well fitted bike (ideally two bike stations, with forks that clip straight into the rudder) and cruise water. I'd want it big enough for 4 people (two riding, two resting) and gear enough for extended trips. And the Erie Canal would be a good maiden voyage. We could cruise the water and, at any time, dock the boat and do land trips on the bikes. I'd start maybe with a 18 or 20 foot hobie cat setup, remove the mast, widen it and create an expanded platform, .... a good retirement dream
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbg
    I've always had this dream.... about building a pontoon-ish water craft with a drive mechanism that could accept a bike --maybe similar to the way indoor trainers are setup. You'd take your own, well fitted bike (ideally two bike stations, with forks that clip straight into the rudder) and cruise water. I'd want it big enough for 4 people (two riding, two resting) and gear enough for extended trips. And the Erie Canal would be a good maiden voyage. We could cruise the water and, at any time, dock the boat and do land trips on the bikes. I'd start maybe with a 18 or 20 foot hobie cat setup, remove the mast, widen it and create an expanded platform, .... a good retirement dream
    Be sure it's more sea worthy than this one....it sank shortly after launching
    Last edited by Beverly; 09-12-07 at 02:36 PM.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing a story on the internet from a few years ago about some guy that was pedaling a homemade "pontoon" raft - powered by a bicycle as described above - down the Ohio River as a charity-fundraising stunt. He had a big enough platform on it that he had a tent-like shelter that he could camp in.

Note that he was going DOWN the river, wich usually flows between 0.5 to 1.75 mph downstream during summer, and maybe 4 to 5 mph during high-water season (winter and early spring).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come in No.9 your times up

Sorry--No.6 are you in trouble.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^
    These days I think you could put jppe at the helm of one of those and go waterskiing behind him.

steel lover
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep trying to convince my girl to take one out with me at her friends neighborhood lake.... I figured it'd be a good workout and alot of fun.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We actually have a paddleboat of our own that we keep at the lake at my in-laws!! It was a Father's Day gift a couple years ago but it did not come with seat backs. We used it for a season or so and realized we really had to have the seat backs. With nothing to push back against while you're pedaling makes it really hard to get around. The seat back positions we have can be adjusted to help out with the height and leg differences as well. It is certainly a really good workout, especially in breezy and choppy water conditions.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    We actually have a paddleboat of our own that we keep at the lake at my in-laws!! It was a Father's Day gift a couple years ago but it did not come with seat backs. We used it for a season or so and realized we really had to have the seat backs. With nothing to push back against while you're pedaling makes it really hard to get around. The seat back positions we have can be adjusted to help out with the height and leg differences as well. It is certainly a really good workout, especially in breezy and choppy water conditions.
    With all that practice you have had- Bags the first go on the Ski's.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dgb,

That sounds like a great idea. Make mine white.