OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next for a New Bike

I have been reading all of these new bike posts drooling and now I have found the funds and have the approval to pull the trigger. The fun starts this weekend as I start shopping for a new roady. The rather long short list is:

Specialized Tarmac Expert
    Giant TCR 1
    Kestral Talon SL
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Trek Madone 5.2

Any wisdom on these options that anyone would like to share will be welcome. I am fixed on getting a full carbon fiber bike with the best components I can get and a target price around $3,000. If you have something else in mind with the same specs as above let me know I am open to looking at anyting right now.

Thanks for any help in advanced
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to check is on a test ride.

One of the reasons I enquired about a Dale C.F.Bike was that the Aluminium frames are harsh. The rider said the bike felt dead. That is just an example of why the test ride is necessary.

With this range of bikes- you are not going to get a Duff one. The Groupset and parts will be up to standard but Just in case it does turn up on one of the bikes- Watch out for a downgraded wheelset. Hate to say it and it will upset some people but if it has Bontrager as a name- I do not go for it. Bontrager parts are not bad but they are not the top quality that they are Merchanted as and they are overpriced for the quality they are. Thats my useless bit of advice so read it and disregard if you want.

The only other thing to look at is the warranty. All the top manufacturers are Good but do ensure that it will cover the frame for a respectable number of years. Others can advise you on this as I ride Aluminium.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking at Trek, check out Lemond also. And Felt makes a good line of carbon bikes. Just two more brands to add to the confusion!

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just Googled Kestral Talon. Dayum, that's a nice looking and versatile bike. I'm sure the others are too, but I don't even want to imagine the damage that could be done to my marriage.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure I will probably look at everything in the price range that the 4 or so LBS' near me carry.So far I just have been web reviewing. The Kestral, Trek & Specialized have lifetime warranty on the frames for first time owner, the Scott is a 2yr, I have not found out about Giants warranty yet.

On paper the Tarmac look like best value ($2,600 MSRP) as it comes with Dura Ace RD, FSA carbon cranks (low end) and Mavic Equipe wheels. The one thought I have is to go with the lower price Tarmac and upgrade the wheel set. Look and feel will be a big part as well. Half the fun is just in the shopping and since I have a bike I will take my time to get what I want.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't pop for a 2007 Trek Madone 5.2 without checking out the 2008 Madones.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/madone/
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Buy them. Buy them all." -- General Stonewall Jackson, while visiting the Fredericksburg, VA, bike stores.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    I am sure I will probably look at everything in the price range that the 4 or so LBS' near me carry.So far I just have been web reviewing. The Kestral, Trek & Specialized have lifetime warranty on the frames for first time owner, the Scott is a 2yr, I have not found out about Giants warranty yet.

On paper the Tarmac look like best value ($2,600 MSRP) as it comes with Dura Ace RD, FSA carbon cranks (low end) and Mavic Equipe wheels. The one thought I have is to go with the lower price Tarmac and upgrade the wheel set. Look and feel will be a big part as well. Half the fun is just in the shopping and since I have a bike I will take my time to get what I want.
    Wheels are a very important part of a bike and is not realised. Take it the wheels are Krysium elites and they are good- You will need the Carbon frame to take the harshness out of the ride so not a problem. And Lifetime warranty sounds good.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Don't pop for a 2007 Trek Madone 5.2 without checking out the 2008 Madones.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/madone/
    I've been drooling over the new Madones since they unveiled them
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Psst! <whisperin' in stonecrd's ear> Maybe you could find a new '06 Scott CR1 SL at discount. I did.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I've been drooling over the new Madones since they unveiled them
    I was in a large Trek dealership today and they had several '08 models in stock. In fact, during the 30 minutes I was there, someone came in and purchased one. Very pretty bikes.

Now me, I'm waiting for the new Madone hybrid line to come out!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now me, I'm waiting for the new Madone hybrid line to come out!
    Isn't that the bike with a 700C front rim and a 26" mountain bike rear wheel?
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stopped by a couple of stores last night an was somewhat disapointed as neither had the model I was looking for on the floor. One as a Giant dealer and they had TCR 2&3 but not a 1, they would order though and the price is right. Interestingly they also sell a Guru which is a custom built to your measurements and starts around $3,000.

I went to the specialized dealer and they only had the Tarmac Comp so I was not able to look at the expert. They did have a nice Madone 5.5 full Dura Ace listed at $3,500. Man, that Dura Ace crank is beautiful to look at.

I don't think 2007 models will be available until probably Sept so I don't think I can wait that long. I am hoping I can find a nice 2007 that has been sitting on the floor for 10 months that they want to move. If I could get the 5.5 for $3,000 I might jump on that.

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After taking the BMC on it's first ride last night I would strongly suggest you find a dealer and try one. Just Sayin.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in a large Trek dealership today and they had several '08 models in stock. In fact, during the 30 minutes I was there, someone came in and purchased one. Very pretty bikes.
    I need to stop at the bike shop to pick up some items for the mountain bike. It's a small shop so they probably don't have any in stock. I did notice the big Trek store in Columbus advertised they had them...maybe I'll make a trip there this weekend
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I nearly bought a 2006 Giant TCR-C1 in April. It came with Ultegra and a DA RD. $2500. I asked him how much to upgrade to full DA. After running the numbers for about 10 minutes, even he was amazed. I could have had that bike with full DA for $3200+tax, $1000 less than the MSRP for the 2007 TCR-C0 with full DA!

Unfortunately, the frame was yellow (the '06 C2 frame was red, but not in stock), and I wanted either black or red or black/red. I know: so OCP. But I knew what I wanted, and didn't want to settle. This was to be something for me. So, I kept looking, knowing that I could always fall back on the Giant. That's when I found my Scott (dark carbon fiber weave and dark grey, with full DA) for just a little more, so I treated myself, and never looked back.

Good luck with your search, stonecrd. Don't forget to ask if they have some new '06 bikes still lying around....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim,

I looked briefly at the BMC Team machine, itis a bit out of my price range and I can't find a distributor. They also seem to just come with compact cranks and being in Florida I need my 53 ring.

I will say it is nice shopping in a price range where I know I will end up being happy with whatever I get.

Ray

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    After taking the BMC on it's first ride last night I would strongly suggest you find a dealer and try one. Just Sayin.
    Unfortunatly a BMC carbon is going to be a $3000 budget buster. Take a look at the Jamis carbon bikes if you have a dealer. Lots of bang for the buck.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously you will get lots of advice here. When you find the one, you will know it. Keep an open mind and be realistic about your needs vs wants. $3K will buy you a very fine machine! Good luck.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe consider doin a test ride on the equiv model in Spec Roubaix, as a point of comparo...