Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How 50 miles of intentions turned into 38 and big trouble.

I came home from work yesterday full of it. Thought I would go for a nice big ride and catch up a bit what with having not ridden on Saturday due to other commitments or on Sunday due to weather. I thought 50 sounded a good round number.

But first I needed to take care of the puppies and clean the kennels and feed the rest of the dogs and let a few of them get a little time in the back yard. So I did not even roll out of the drive 'til nearly 5:00. Still it was a very nice evening. And them I remembered that I promised the next time I went for a decent ride, that I would take and post some pics. So I went back to the house and stole Lovey's camera. And then back out the door, still thinking a big fat ride.

When I got to my turn off to Riverdale Road, who should drive up but Son Chris, who was on his way back home from a job interview with the Oklahome Highway Patrol. So of course, we sit in the middle of the road and yack it up for a few minutes. And then off we go again, him home to catch up on his rest, and me on my way down Riverdale Road. It's a way nice night and I stopped several times to take some pictures.

This is the bike on Monkey Business Bridge. It's the one the boys were swinging on and making jungle sounds the first time I rode over it. We've had a lot of rain, the Finley River below is normally nice and clear and about five feet lower than in this picture. Yesterday would have been a good day for a float trip for the adventurous sort.

This is the Finley River Valley. It's pretty lush this time of year.

More Finley River Valley. Back when I kept running hounds, I had a pup out of Finley River Queen. The Finley River dogs are a very well known line of Treeing Walkers. Very good coon hounds. Riding in this valley helps me remember other times.

I took several pics of springs that were running way big yesterday, sadly none of them are worth a crap. The only other thing I saw of note when I thought about using the camera was these. hmmmmm. Anybody missing anything? This is the right age group and all....

So anyway, I keep on riding on into Nixa. By now I'm out of water, so decided to run by Lovey's Curves store and refill. It's now about 7:20. She is still there and closing up. I refill, chat her up a while, carry out the trash and generally help close up shop. She heads on to Wally World and then to home, with instructions to me to get going that way too. Which I promptly ignored and headed back north, away from home. I finally get far away enough from home that if I turn around and head that way, I'll have my fifty by the time I'm back. So back south. It's now a little after 8:00 and I'm hungry. So I stopped and had a grilled chicken sandwch and a coke and filled bottles again.

Now, it's getting good and dark. Which to me is no big thing, I've got a blnkie and a nice headlight. So on down the road I go. But just as I cross the Finley heading back home, my phone rings. It's one fairly P.O.'d Lovey, calling from home, wondering where I am and giving me hell for riding on Highway 160 after dark. Like I'm going to turn into a pumpkin or something. She made me feel so bad when she accused me of trying to make her a widow, that I let her come get me. It was about 9:30 when she found my sorry ass and drug me home. When we got there, I got the last word though. For a change. My niece and her boyfriend had driven down from Springfield. They saw me riding along and she actually commented to her boyfriend wondering if that was me they saw riding. The comment that ended my catching hell was them answering me asking if they could see me with "Yeah, we saw you from a long way, we thought maybe a cop had somebody pulled over or something!" So I guess my light is bright enough. At least for me, never for Lovey though.

When I checked the odo at home, it read 38 something. So that's how 50 miles worth of intent got me 38 and in big trouble.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story, got me laughing. It was so well written, it was like I was there! Good work!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very nice ride report! Thank you for sharing that, and in such an amusing way. Beautiful pics. Looks like a lovely place to ride. How fortunate you are!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that your pre ride for the big one? It sounded like you could have made that a better ride if you left in the morning. but I know how it goes.
    George

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice ride. Nice pics. Enjoyed your story. Too bad the ending didn't go so swell.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are one relaxed geezer when you are miles from home & stop at 8 PM to get a sandwich.

So now you are riding miles after dark on 55 mph roads?

What has become of my poor old fellow Fred? You must be at least 10 years younger than you were last year.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you raise dogs, I assume that you have a number of dog houses, and therefore, a choice of the one in which you would reside for the night .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, nice WHITE bike!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    By the way, nice WHITE bike!
    Dude. It's green (well, sage, actually at least according to Jamis). And cream. See the Haiku thread. But I guess cream is a shade of white in't it? So thanks!! Damn glad to be a member of Team Oso Blanco. At any rate, thank the Good Lord that it is not black, or even worse, black and RED.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    Dude. It's green (well, sage, actually at least according to Jamis). And cream. See the Haiku thread. But I guess cream is a shade of white in't it? So thanks!! Damn glad to be a member of Team Oso Blanco. At any rate, thank the Good Lord that it is not black, or even worse, black and RED.
    Looks white in the first pic. Just sayin.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    You are one relaxed geezer when you are miles from home & stop at 8 PM to get a sandwich.

So now you are riding miles after dark on 55 mph roads?

What has become of my poor old fellow Fred? You must be at least 10 years younger than you were last year.
    I admit to having a good time and not fretting much about it, not being afraid of the dark and not acting my age. I am still a Fred though, I had on a white Tee shirt (the breathable kind) and bright orange athletic shorts. Major clash with the bike colors. But visible!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had a nice ride anyway How about a picture of your dogs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike, nice ride, nice pics and amusing story. There's always another day for that 50.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures and ride report

Hope you were able to smooth things over with the wife.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by partbug
    Sounds like you had a nice ride anyway How about a picture of your dogs
    Here is the litter of pups. I have so many pictures of the dogs it's pathetic.

Twin Boy

Twin Girl

Grip

Sister

Mr. Ears. Do you like his gangsta tear? right eye, you hae to really look to see it

And Mr. Black.

THANKS FOR ASKING!!
    Last edited by Terrierman; 06-12-07 at 07:50 PM.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are real cuties

I would love to have a puppy but unfortunately they grow up. Guess I'll stick with my psycho cat.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Black has a very distinctive appearance.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the fine report and pictures.

I have also been been in the doghouse for riding after dark. Funny thing, I actually feel safer in the dark with the headlight and blinker than late evening before the sun goes down. Can't explain that to my wife. It's a good thing your dogs are on the small side . . . more room for you in that doghouse!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story, and nice pics of the puppers. Since your rear light was that good, what light do you have???????????
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    At any rate, thank the Good Lord that it is not black, or even worse, black and RED.
    Ouch, that was a low blow
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    Great story, and nice pics of the puppers. Since your rear light was that good, what light do you have???????????
    It's really nothing fancy, a five LED Bell that Lovey bought me from Wally World. I guess when it's dark, it shows up pretty good though. I did have it set where all five lights were flashing at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cute pups, but I have to wonder how you and the pups managed to fit in the doghouse?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    Great pictures and ride report

Hope you were able to smooth things over with the wife.
    She never stays mad at me for very long, I'm too irresistible.

Flatlander
    in the House of Perpetual Renovation, BSLNC
    My Bikes
    2010 Jamis Coda Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story and mighty cute puppies. My little Jack Russell is a brown and pink version of Mr. Ears but I love the tri-color best. Thanks for sharing.