I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two non-connected thoughts...

TWL will find a connection, but it escapes me.

First...last night I wanted to get in just a few miles (like, maybe 5?) before it got too dark, but my daughter had my car which had my helmet. So for the first time in like forever I deliberately mounted the bike sans helmet. Rode the five miles and felt like I was in a convertible. Woohoo!

(Spare the lectures, don't start a helmet war, and move along here. There's nothing to see.)

Second...today's twenty miler around Mission Bay was marred by the fact that I couldn't find my skullcap. http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true For the first time in recent memory, sweat was rolling down my forehead into my eyes. It was amazing the difference. When I got back to the car and pulled the bike rack out of the trunk, I found my skullcap.

Peace out.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skullcaps rule, like scissors over paper or rocks over scissors, or paper over rocks or.....
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deeg, I've been riding so long, I can remember being laughed at for wearing a helmet. Now ya scolded if you don't. But that's mostly a good thing, I reckon.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gary, you hit that skull cap right on the head (no pun intended) and I went out and bought one when you brought it up a few weeks ago and let me tell you, that thing works great. Between sun block and sweat, it was killing me, now no problem at all, thank you.
    George

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just going to say, George had a picture of him and his bike over on another post, and it looked like he might be wearing your skullcap.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skullcaps are great, but keep a few bandannas around for when you can't find it. They work just about as well.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halo sweatbands rule.

That's it.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The connection ... easy.

First the missing helmet and yet you still ride.

Then the missing skullcap and yet you still ride.

Obviously you have a death wish and will ride regardless of whatever signs given to warn you.

Now if my helmet turns up under your pillow, please heed the sign and do not go out of your house!

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So youse guys heads sweat, eh? Mine doesn't. At least not unless it is very hot and even then it takes more than an hour of riding before it will drip down my face. Don't wear any sweat bands or skull caps and cannot remember wiping any sweat off of my face this year.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sweat a lot. Whe the sweat is really pouring off my face, I might recycle it, kinda like drinking nasty unflavored Gatorade.

However, if you put a ton of sunscreen on, the sweat will assume a very vile, chemical taste. I don't recommend it.

That might be a little more information on the subject than you really want to know.

all you need is love blues on a bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can chicks wear skullcaps? I ride in 90 degree heat and 90 % humidity and my scalp sweats so much it's a wonder I don't have a shrunken head. And I wonder why I can't get a date.....
    Janie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blues on a bike
    Can chicks wear skullcaps? I ride in 90 degree heat and 90 % humidity and my scalp sweats so much it's a wonder I don't have a shrunken head. And I wonder why I can't get a date.....
    Try either a Halo headband or skullcap. They have a soft plastic piece along the front that directs the sweat to the sides.

http://store.haloheadband.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

DG, this is why I have 3 of those Headsweats Shortys. You also need to have more helmets so you won't feel "naked' riding without one.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear a skull cap in winter to keep my head warm. Just started wearing one in heat...can't believe how much sweat is soaks up. Like a sponge -- amazing. Also keeps the sun from burning my scalp and fading my haircolor.

So yeah, chicks can wear 'em.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn bandannas under my helmet for years, with good results. Lately I've worn the Headsweats original tie in the back model. I really like 'em and can't see how they can be improved upon. Is the "Shorty" an improvement in function, or just easier to put on and take off?

When I started cycling in about 1982, hardshell helmets were still in their infantcy, or at least their childhood. There was the Bell Biker and some others that I've forgotton the names of. Many riders rode with cycling caps or "hairnets". I rode like this for a short time but wanted to look like a real cyclist, even if I was a ******. My first helmet was a Brancale (sp?) that looked something like a hockey helmet. The first really protective helmet I had was the famous Bell V-1 Pro, which I still have.

I'm not sure I can remember the last time I rode helmetless.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta try the skullcap. I need something elese to lose.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear bandannas but more to keep the hair under control.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally broke down and bought one of those skull caps from Performance. It arrived yesterday after my morning ride. I'm anxious to see how it works. I sweat so much that I can't see through my glasses.

As far as helmets go, I started wearing them in the 80's - big things make by Bell. Now I can't ride without one.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if your head is sweating you're riding too hard!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    So youse guys heads sweat, eh? Mine doesn't. At least not unless it is very hot and even then it takes more than an hour of riding before it will drip down my face. Don't wear any sweat bands or skull caps and cannot remember wiping any sweat off of my face this year.
    Turn your electric assist off, Tom, you'll sweat.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycle caps! They have all the advantages of a skull cap, plus a visor that can be instantly flipped up or down.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAsFat
    Bicycle caps! They have all the advantages of a skull cap, plus a visor that can be instantly flipped up or down.
    Bingo, we have a winner! They also don't make you look like you're in the middle of a mid-late life crisis or trying to play Easy Rider.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I wore a cap under my helmet, I might start to sweat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee

First...last night I wanted to get in just a few miles (like, maybe 5?) before it got too dark, but my daughter had my car which had my helmet.
    Peace out.
    Has the traffic gotten so bad in SoCal that you wear your helmet in the car. Do insurance companies give a discount for that?

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Two non-connected thoughts"... are there other kinds?

Finally bought a skullcap to keep my head warm last winter and, low and behold, when I took my helmet off I didn't flush my glasses off my face. It's part of my kit now. It also makes those little flying critters less annoying when they end up in your helmet.

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys & gals, skullcaps rule, been using them for a couple of years, great when it is a bit chilly and awesome when it is hot as I sweat like the dickens. As for the helmet, I've done one ride, 30 miles, without a helmet and it felt great but that was once in 20 years.
    "We're high with expectation on the edge of the unknown."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast