Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Chains

Old 06-13-07, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chains

Sometimes I don't get the search engine on this forum. You type in a word, and get a whole bunch of hits, none of which are related to the word you typed in. So if this question has been answered before I apologize. How often does everybody lubricate their chain on their road bike.
Old 06-13-07, 05:21 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Apply a drop of lube to each roller (can mark a link with a marker, or if a SR*M chain, start at the powerlink) then turn cranks backwards a few time to "work it in", let sit for a while, turn crank backwards again, and wipe off excess. Works for me. Oh, and I use a wet lube--tried waxes, but wet lubes seem to lube better to me. OOPS-somehow I skipped right over the "how often"--like below, after a wet ride, or after a particularly "dirty" ride where the chain has picked up a lot of dirt, asphalt "dust", or other matter, I'll clean and lube. Otherwise, maybe every 2-3 weeks depending on mileage and conditions. You can usually tell when a chain is starting to run "dry".

Last edited by freeranger; 06-13-07 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-13-07, 05:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lube using the drop method after each ride with pro lube.

I clean with a rag before my ride. In other words, I leave the excess lube overnight.

I ride about 50 miles a day and get >2000 miles on a chain. I use SRAM chains on my 9 speed shimano 105and Campy chains on my 10 speed chorus. I found KMC chains did not last for me.

I haven't really experimented with lubes, other than with White Lightning, which I did not like because of the settling of the mixture. I thought it might work better for me when I did bike trails, in dry conditions.
Old 06-13-07, 05:28 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL! This will open a can of worms!

Good maintenance practices says that you should lube a chain after a wet ride when you know water spray has gotten onto the chain. Also, I oil my chain when it sounds dry. Riding in some conditions will dry out the lube quicker than others.

I ride a canal path that has crushed binder, or crushed stone as it's base. When I ride there, I clean and lube the chain after these rides. I also have to clean the bike because the dust gets everywhere on the bike.

Another thing to consider is HOW MUCH Lube to put on the chain. For the most part we tell our customers to apply ONE Drop per roller/pin on the entire chain and then a quick wipe of a shop towel. We hold to that for most any chain on any bike.

Of course the next question that will come up is WHAT LUBE? I have my own ideas on that also.
Old 06-13-07, 06:21 AM

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dry lube, every 100 miles and before every time trial. I clean the drivetrain every 7th to 8th lube, or earlier as needed.
Old 06-13-07, 06:55 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I do about 50 miles each ride and use a wet lube that picks up road dirt. If I see the rear cassette is dirty with black oil- then I clean the chain before I do anything else. After every ride I clean or wipe it and lube every time (50 mile rides). I don't worry about being sparing with the oil either. I literraly smother the chain and work the cranks for a few minutes- Then I lean the bike so drips won't fall on the wheel- wipe it clean and ride.

Incidentally- If you put oil on the chain and it doesn't seem to show as a film- It has soaked into the dry dirt that is in the chain so clean the damn thing- Don't oil a dirty chain as that will wear a chain out very quick.
The lube you use is important aswell and I use Pedro's Synlube. Do not use a thin penetrating oil on the chain as the lube (Unless it is to get rid of the water after you have cleaned it)- It does not stay on.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-13-07, 07:22 AM

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're gonna clean, do it right:

https://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
Old 06-13-07, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weekly and/or after a wet ride. "Chain, chain, chain, chain of fools." - Ms. A. Franklin

Last edited by BSLeVan; 06-15-07 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-13-07, 09:41 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually clean the whole bike every 2-3 weeks if it has been dry. I use a Finish Line Degreaser spray on the chain and cassette and a brush with some mild car wash soap. Scrub with soap, spray degreaser, Scrub again, rinse and dry. I then use Finish Line Teflon Dry lube drop by drop on each roller just like freeranger says. Wipe off the exess and I am ready to go. If I ride in the rain or on wet streets I will dry the chain and then relube. This time of year I can end up doing that every couple of days.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-13-07, 10:18 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
For road bikes:

Sounds like I'm on the other end of the range from a lot of folks but I use Tri Flow and unless I've been in wet conditions or really dirty/dusty (not often on the road) I clean and relube every 3-4-5 months??? That works out to be around 1500-3000 miles I guess. I do check the stretch on the chain and usually get around 6000+ miles before it needs changing. I also check the derailluer pulleys and make sure nothing is caking up anywhere and might clean that stuff up between intervals. If the chain isn't squeaking and shifting properly and has plenty of lube, I just keep on using it the way it is.

I used to use White Lightning but will never go back. Just didn't perform for me over time the way Tri Flow does. I use a Dura Ace 10 speed chain on the 10 speed bike and a SRAM 9 speed chain on the other one. Both seem to perform really well for me.
Old 06-13-07, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Been using the hot wax method for 30+ years. Cheap/Clean/lasts up to 6.000 miles depending on weather.
Old 06-14-07, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevie47

I'm bumpin' this one up because either:

1. No one bothers to look at links in posts......or

2. Everyone has seen this one long ago (except me)

Old 06-14-07, 08:16 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Yep I've been using that technique since April 1st. I hope to be finished cleaning my first chain in a couple more months.
Old 06-14-07, 08:50 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Pffft!
Been using that system forever. Nothing to it... use two chains, when your just about done cleaning chain A, chain B is dirty.
Old 06-14-07, 09:28 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about a road bike. I clean the chain (SRAM PC-58) off the bike about once every 5-6 weeks. I might re-lube once during that period.
But MTBs are cleaned based on the number of rides, usually about 6 to 7 rides between off the bike cleaning. I generally don't lube between rides.
The MUP rider gets cleaned about every three or four rides due to the sandy riding surface.
EDIT: For more information and opinions you might want to do a search on BF for thread titles with "lubrication" or "chain" in the title. There should be enough posts there to keep someone reading for several weeks.
Old 06-14-07, 11:32 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Are you talkin nice bike or rain bike?

Nice bikes that ride on paved surfaces in dry weather get their 9spd/10spd chains lubed about every 100 miles and cleaned about every 300 - 400 miles

Rain bikes that ride in crap weather and on crushed gravel/dirt paths get their 5spd/6spd chains lubed about every other ride and cleaned a couple of times a year.

Good maintenance generally equals longer wear and less problematic drivetrains.
Old 06-15-07, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys spend a lot of time cleaning and lubing!