Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What to do with the bike?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it on the corporate apartment balcony and buy a pump and hope others use it

4 19.05%
  • Give it back to the Salvation Army to sell again

8 38.10%
  • Leave it to be stolen

2 9.52%
  • Try to find a bike coop to take it.

11 52.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long to own a bike?

I just bought this sweet little bike. Yeah, it's way too small, it only has one speed, a caliper brake in front and a coaster brake in back but it sweet. Just the thing for scooting around downtown Santa Cruz and going to the Boardwalk and the beach. It cost me $40.00 in the Salvation Army store. It was the only bike that met my rigid specifications...it was ready to ride.

I've even gotten compliments on it. A fellow coming out of the Santa Cruz Diner as I was locking up, really liked how the downtube made a sweeping arch. I followed up the compliment with a serving of the best pancakes in the city.

So what do I do with it at the end of my trip to our company headquarters? I'm not sure if I'll get back here, or when.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Artkansas; 06-13-07 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with the nearest LBS and find out if the city runs any kind of bike give away program for the less fortunate kids in the area, and if such a program exists....see if the LBS will forward the bike to that program for you. We've got such a program here and several of the local shops will accept bikes, tune them and deliver them downtown for distribution. All the curb bikes that many of us here find in any decent condition go this route after we've cleaned them up and tuned them as needed. It's a great program and worth looking into.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-13-07 at 12:12 PM.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some kid would love it!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on both accounts. I think a lot of bike shops have a "fix bikes for Christmas" or something similar so said bikes can be given to kids. Make some kid happy, even if it is a big kid.
    peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for leaving it at the apt. with a pump. Maybe others in your industry/business will ride, become hooked, get healthier, and ultimately lead to lower health insurance rates. You know, the butterfly effect.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could donate it to:

The Bike Church

or

The Bike Co-op at UC Santa Crude

either place will find it a good home.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    You could donate it to:

The Bike Church

or

The Bike Co-op at UC Santa Crude

either place will find it a good home.
    I contacted the Bike Church because they are just down the street from me. But I can't get by during their open hours so I asked if I could lock the bike somewhere and leave the keys for them. No response yet.

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    I contacted the Bike Church because they are just down the street from me. But I can't get by during their open hours so I asked if I could lock the bike somewhere and leave the keys for them. No response yet.
    How did you like Santa Cruz? What corporate headquarters? Seagate used to be in Scotts Valley but I think corporate offices went elsewhere after Al left.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood
    How did you like Santa Cruz? What corporate headquarters? Seagate used to be in Scotts Valley but I think corporate offices went elsewhere after Al left.
    I work for a company called Convenos. They are located in part of the old Borland offices. I like Santa Cruz. If housing weren't so obscenely expensive, it would be nice to move here. It's great to be in such a bicycle friendly city.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 06-13-07 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the answer to my question is 4 days. That's how long I will own the bike before I give it up. I don't think I've ever owned a bike for such a short time. I even had my Centurion Pro Tour for a whole month before it was stolen.

At least this one will go gracefully. I talked with the folks at the Bike Church and they said to just hoist it over the fence and leave it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help. It was a great way to get around Santa Cruz. I turned it into the Bike Church on Friday night. I didn't have to hoist it over the fence because it turned out that they were having a party. But I know its now with people who love bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to do the same thing on a trip to Florida this past January. As I drove into the town where my mother lives, I stopped at the Goodwill store to see if they had any bikes. I was going to pick one up for 4-5 days then give it back to them. Alas, they had none.

If I was going to be somewhere for 7-10 days, I would think about going to Wal-Mart and buying one of their $59 cruisers. Then give it to a charity at the end. That's cheaper than renting in many places.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post