Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding with jppe

We all know that jppe is the beast of 50+ with a string of killer centuries to his credit including the Assault on Mt. Mitchell this last Monday which he rode in some ridiculous time. Anyway, as luck would have it, I am in the Charlotte area visiting my kids and granddaughter and jppe and I were able to hook up for a ride. I figured that the 50+er's could be interested in what sort of rider this legend of the over 50 crowd is......

Well, he is one really nice guy. On our 45 mile ride, he did not run off and hide (which he obviously could have) and we did it in a little under three hours are an average of 16 mph. Since he did the entire Mt Mitchell at 15.8, I imagine that he could have done this ride at much higher speed but took pity on this old man.

The route was on beautiful roads east of Charlotte through Midland (where we took a break to have our Lance Peanut Butter crackers) and past Reed's Gold Mine. Speaking of Lance, we got held up at a bridge repair with a Lance delivery truck, and jppe got some photos of our snacks and the truck while we waited. I'm sure he will post later. Fabulous weather, beautiful roads and wonderful riding companion....what more could you ask???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <tch,tch>

Two handsome men in Lycra out ridin' around in the greater VegaVixen area, and no one called me to join.

Nice ride report, and jppe does a great job around here for cycling, especially with regard to the smooth operation of the time trial series. <appreciative curtsy and gracious nod of head>

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just goes to show, that age has no limits.
    George

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By George, you are right!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLC summed things up very nicely. It was just a glorious morning to be out on the roads........even if the legs and knee were still feeling Monday a bit. TLC and I had a terrific go of it on the rural roads around Charlotte, NC. I do not have the priviledge of riding during the day very much and I was very surprised at how light the traffic was. I guess I'm just going to need to change my work schedule to start later in the day so I can take advantage of getting out more in the mornings. Customers can wait!!

TLC is a true gentleman and a terrific riding companion. For someone who has not been back riding too terribly long he gets on down the road with ease. Many of you would be very envious of his beautiful bike as well.

My favorite photo is of TLC and the Lance truck. TLC and I both were carrying the same type of Lance crackers for cycling food so we thought it only appropriate to get a photo of the "Sag" wagon!! I'm going to send the story in to the Lance folks and see if we can get a little more mileage out of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics and nice ride report, jppe! You're right, that's a sweet LeMond. THough TLC and I have a Garmin in common, he clearly has a much nicer bike.

Hope you get lots of Lance goodies!

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just proves that not only is jppe a better biker than I am, but a better photographer, too.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TLC, your pics are better at showing the grades you were riding. That third pic gives me the willies!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    <tch,tch>

Two handsome men in Lycra out ridin' around in the greater VegaVixen area, and no one called me to join.

Nice ride report, and jppe does a great job around here for cycling, especially with regard to the smooth operation of the time trial series. <appreciative curtsy and gracious nod of head>
    OMG if we had only known.......
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way-ul. Now you do.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice ride report TLC and jppe! Glad you guys were able to get together for a ride. I'm hoping to meet a bunch of BFers for the first time in August at the CB Tour, if not sooner.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were you fellers out near Davidson by any chance? I'm an alumnus from the early 70's. Last time I passed through the area I hardly recognized it.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pics and ride reports from both of you. I think it's great that some of the BF'rs are able to get together for a ride. I hope to do the same sometime this year.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly, isn't there a century in Ohio in September? If so, I'm sore tempted to try it.

[Did I just say that out loud?!]

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly, isn't there a century in Ohio in September? If so, I'm sore tempted to try it.

[Did I just say that out loud?!]
    Yep! There are quite a few centuries in September. One of the most popular is the Hancock Horizontal Hundred in Findlay. It's on of the flattest routes around. You just hope and pray there isn't much wind that day

Here's a link to most of them.

http://www.ohiocycling.info/OBEC.htm...Septembe-63194
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Beverly! When I first came on BF in November, Chipcom was tryin' to get me interested in doing that very century, and I could not believe at that time that I could ever be ready. But maybe I will be.

Thread hijack over. You may resume the thread already in progress.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    Were you fellers out near Davidson by any chance? I'm an alumnus from the early 70's. Last time I passed through the area I hardly recognized it.
    I think that is up north near Lake Norman and we were east of Charlotte near 85 and 485
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Beverly! When I first came on BF in November, Chipcom was tryin' to get me interested in doing that very century, and I could not believe at that time that I could ever be ready. But maybe I will be.

Thread hijack over. You may resume the thread already in progress.
    Not ready to resume regular programming quite yet If you decide to do it be sure to let us know. Some members of the group I ride with usually does this century.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    I think that is up north near Lake Norman and we were east of Charlotte near 85 and 485
    Once again. You fellers were in my neck of the woods. I live in the university area. And you just ignored me.

Beverly, I'll check out the site, and give it some thought. I'll be sure to let you know if I decide to do it. Always better to undertake something like that among friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Many of you would be very envious of his beautiful bike as well.
    Is the Lemond the new carbon frame with the "min/max" technology? How does it ride?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood
    Is the Lemond the new carbon frame with the "min/max" technology? How does it ride?
    It is indeed a min/max.......and it's okay actually, it is fabulous; I keep looking for hidden motors in the hubs that make it climb so well......smooth on the butt, too.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VV, have you thought about doing the Lancaster CB Tour? BDG, Chipcom, and a bunch of others are doing it (thread's in the NE Regional Forum). It's a scenic metric, and if you like covered bridges, this one's for you. Beverly- are you doing this as well?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering it, MTBL. But it might be a bit much for me, doing both a century and a metric century practically back-to-back: so much long riding, so much travel, and then I still need to go to Vienna at some point. Plus, I don't want to miss any local time trials. I'll know more in a month or so.
    Last edited by VegaVixen; 06-14-07 at 07:26 AM.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, VV- whatever you decide, it sounds like you have a lot of good stuff in the queue.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap after seeing a pic of JPPE's legs I'm starting to understand how his freakish performances are done!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast