Thread: N-1

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N-1

So I bought a new bike this week, but have sold two others since. I orignally had 4, then 4+1, then 5-2, for a total of three, or N-1. My wife contents that I still owe the family budget money to cover the new bike. I on the other hand content that she owes me another bike because you CANNOT be at N-1. So to restore balance to the world, it needs to be (N-1)+1=N.

It's kinda like Einsteins Theory of Relatives.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    So I bought a new bike this week, but have sold two others since. I orignally had 4, then 4+1, then 5-2, for a total of three, or N-1. My wife contents that I still owe the family budget money to cover the new bike. I on the other hand content that she owes me another bike because you CANNOT be at N-1. So to restore balance to the world, it needs to be (N-1)+1=N.

Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes perfect sense to me. Since I had 8 bikes and sold 2 I'm now at N-2 Does this mean I need to buy 2 bikes?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now Beverly, we had this conversation. You were only at 8 because you bought the new bikes before you sold the old ones. I thought we agreed that you were able to sell 2 without replacement. But if I remember correctly, you were going to sell 4 of them, which would be a felony offense.

We might let you sell yourself down to 4 bikes, if you then purchase a 2008 Madone (got to count as at least two bikes).

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, this opens up a whole new theory of what N actually is. We have always assummed N was the number of bikes you have now, but is it possible N='Max no. of bikes you had at one time' and how do you determine that time.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills

If you originally had 4 then you must end up with 5 to satisfy the N+1 law.

You can play around with adding and subtracting as much as you want, as long as you have 5 by no later than say August.

Then in September, we can begin discussing your next bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Now Beverly, we had this conversation. You were only at 8 because you bought the new bikes before you sold the old ones. I thought we agreed that you were able to sell 2 without replacement. But if I remember correctly, you were going to sell 4 of them, which would be a felony offense.

We might let you sell yourself down to 4 bikes, if you then purchase a 2008 Madone (got to count as at least two bikes).
    Oops! Forgot I just bought two new bikes

A friend is trying to find a home for the Giant hybrid sitting in the bike shed. The other one on the chopping block is just an old Toys R Us bike the grandkids rode. It's going to the bike guy for refurbishing for a kid. That will bring me down to 4. Can I start shopping for another one?
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the worst that could happen if you just went out and bought another bike?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan
    What's the worst that could happen if you just went out and bought another bike?

One never equates the "worst" that could happen if you bought another bike. There is no worst, there is only better. You could fail the membership test with this incorrect thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, the miles we will go to cook up an excuse to get a new ride. Keep it up, we all need to blow the budget now & then. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx

One never equates the "worst" that could happen if you bought another bike. There is no worst, there is only better. You could fail the membership test with this incorrect thinking.

Well, having been married twice, I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gonna buy a TT bike within the year. Then I'll have 4, which is N+3 more than I had last summer. And I don't feel guilty at all.

My Bikes
    Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In determining the value of N, bicycles purchased for you by others do not count, bicycles purchased as replacements for bicycles you no longer own do not count. Bicycles which have been scavenged for parts do not count unless the frame is kept with intent to reuse (such frames shall be counted as 0.5 bicycles).

Please note that these rules are not universally accepted (most notably by Significant Others)!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

Rans Fusion
    Catrike Road
    Bacchetta Cafe'
    Trek 7200 (For Sale)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodlark
    In determining the value of N, bicycles purchased for you by others do not count, bicycles purchased as replacements for bicycles you no longer own do not count. Bicycles which have been scavenged for parts do not count unless the frame is kept with intent to reuse (such frames shall be counted as 0.5 bicycles).

Please note that these rules are not universally accepted (most notably by Significant Others)!
    Rules are too limiting, too confusing, too too too. I just got rid of the SO and made my own rules
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're all making it too complicated. The rule is that the number of bikes you should have is N+1, where N=the number of bikes you have NOW.

OP has 3 bikes; 3+1=4
    Beverly has 6 bikes; 6+1=7
    VV has 3 bikes; 3+1=4

the correct number is always what you have now plus 1
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    the correct number is always what you have now plus 1
    So if I have 5 and sell three, then once I am down to 2 the law only requires me to add 1 to get to 3?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite poem (by Ogden Nash)
    .....In the world of mules
    .....there are no rules

In the world of bikes, N>=N

My Bikes
    Rans Fusion/Catrike Road/Bacchetta Cafe'
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the world of bikes, N>=N
    That solves ALL of the problems!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe.

Rans Fusion
    Catrike Road
    Bacchetta Cafe'
    Trek 7200 (For Sale)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if I have 5 and sell three, then once I am down to 2 the law only requires me to add 1 to get to 3?
    That's right. 2+1=3

But then, N=3. N+1=4

and so it goes

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right. 2+1=3

But then, N=3. N+1=4

Let's say that then someone gave you 4 bikes. Now you have 8, so N=8. Now you need one more.
    N+1=9

Whatever number you have at any given time, you need one more.

and so it goes

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, using the Heisenburg Principal of Uncertanty one can either measure the number of bicycles one has or the number one should have. Doesn't matter what you had yesterday? Doesn't matter what you have tomorrow? All that matters is now or next?

WL.....WL.....feel free to step in here.....a little help!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, that's what I'm talking about. If it as simple as one more than what you have right now. If I sell off all of them, then my "right now" becomes zero.

The other aspect is that no time interval is specified. Therefore to obey the law, you may need to purchase one more bike every hour, or minute, or even second.

Now if it were ruled that the N+1 law was deemed to have been observed whenever one purchases 1 new bike a year, and if it allowed for you to sell or trade off a bike or two every three years, then more people might observe the law.

But I must say that there are many law-abiding citizens here in the 50+ forum. More new bikes than one can shake a stick at.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One could do worse than to follow the advice of the golden helmet!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no "observing the law" in the sense that you ever actually own the number of bikes it prescribes. The way the law is written, you are constantly one bike below what you need. The whole point of the law is to provide justification for getting a new bike at any time.
    It's just like "tomorrow". Tomorrow never comes because as soon as it seems to arrive, it is no longer tomorrow, it is today.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, that's what I'm talking about. If it as simple as one more than what you have right now. If I sell off all of them, then my "right now" becomes zero.

The other aspect is that no time interval is specified. Therefore to obey the law, you may need to purchase one more bike every hour, or minute, or even second.

Now if it were ruled that the N+1 law was deemed to have been observed whenever one purchases 1 new bike a year, and if it allowed for you to sell or trade off a bike or two every three years, then more people might observe the law.

But I must say that there are many law-abiding citizens here in the 50+ forum. More new bikes than one can shake a stick at.
    Normally I can overlook the rantings of you compulsive analytical types and chuckle at your squirming, but this time you are going too far. You are messing with the fabric of the universe here. Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. If you keep tying to mess with the sacred N+1 law, I'll have no option but to call on my cousin from the old country, Diego Soprano. After he has a "talk" with you, we will hear no more of this heresy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast