Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Relativity of Distance

So I dropped into the garage to make a service appointment for my Van (which is no where near as reliable as my Trek), and the mechanic/owner mentions that he saw me on my bike WAAAAY over by the Burger Stand. The location is maybe all of three miles from my house and I live 6/10ths of mile from his shop. And he honestly thought I was a long way from our neighborhood on a bike. He couldn't imagine going that far on a bike (or I look older and fatter than I thought and he was being kind). I mentioned that I had been riding home from work when he saw me and the conversation drifted over to my Van.

I've always held Bob (the mechanic/owner) in very high regard. In my mind anyone who can and does keep up with all the new automotive technologies and/or be a successful business person has to be not only talented and inteligent but also highly motivated and ambitious. Not necessarily talents I can personally relate to, but I do highly respect those who have them. But poor Bob, as talented and intelligent as he is, has been so busy learning and managing his sucessful business and raising his family that he has missed out on the joys of cycling. He has been so automotively focused that the flexibility, dependability and unlimited freedom of bicycling has escaped his world.

I guess I'm gonna have to work on that......

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny-but my mechanic and I have had similar conversations. He has a Harley that he rides all over the place. From time to time we'll cross paths with he on his Harley and me on my bike miles from where we live. He calls me a "biking machine" and just shakes his head whenever we randomly meet.

I've offered to trade bikes with him pointing out that mine gets better gas mileage but so far he hasn't taken me up on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude

I guess I'm gonna have to work on that......

Yep, that's the route to go.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in a small town and several times a week receive questions such as these;

....."Was that you W A Y out by the lake? " (its 12 miles)

....."Was that you W A Y out by the country club? " (its 3 miles)

....."Didn't I see you on the side of the road with your bike broke down? " (probably fixing a flat)

....."I saw some guy on a bicyle way out at ----------. "(pick a place within 30 miles)

And just yesterday, at a gathering of business associates...
    "...you're going to Indiana and ride 400 miles on a bicyle next week? Are you crazy?" (the guy who said this is about 6'2" and probably weighs 300# or more)

To each his own.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

all you need is love blues on a bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know. My sister thinks me riding 10 miles is a big deal. I do remember when it was a huge accomplishment, but now, it's like nothin'.
    Janie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that the 20 or so miles away from home is relatively short in comparison to the 20 or so miles back home.
    I have the key, to escape reality....Get on your bikes and ride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relativity of Distance -
    didn't someone once propose E = MC squared; where the Energy to ride was equal to the Motivation times the Countryside covered. And since the scenery of the countryside is so important they squared that component.

I know that someone must have been a cyclist, at least I've seen a picture of him on a bike.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first started at this job my coworkers would ask what I did on the weekend. When I told them I rode 40 miles on my bike, their jaw would drop. Now, after 2 years I hear things like 'Gee your in such good shape and in such a good mood most of the time I might have to try this biking thing'. None of them have yet.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try telling someone that doesn't ride you're signing up to ride a century, they'll dismiss you as a total nut job so fast it'll make your head swim. Very amusing (at least it will be if I get the century well and truly done, since it will be a first for me).
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by further
    It seems to me that the 20 or so miles away from home is relatively short in comparison to the 20 or so miles back home.
    Unless you are riding 20 miles to work.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when I drive past my usual Sunday route with the family which is 30mi each way they are amazed that I ride that far and to be frank it seems farther to me as well when I drive it in a car. I have some relatives that I tell how much I ride and when we go to family occasions it is not uncommon for one of them to grab a neighbor and come by ask me to tell them how far I ride. Compared to most on BF I don't even really consider myself much of a distance rider.

It is kind of like being in the circus freak show.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute in to work and back most days - 15 miles each way. Many of the people here are convinced that I am totally crazy. The funny thing is that several of these people have longer (in terms of time) commutes, but they don't consider that crazy. Most of them do not look forward to their commute home like I do - so who is crazy?

dbg
    My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike portion of my commute is too short (2 mi from train station to home), but I am clearly faster, cheaper, and healthier than other neighbors who ride in those stink cages. And yet they marvel at how strange I am for riding that short two miles year round. It leaves me speechless when they bring it up. (That would be me standing with palms up and shoulders in a shrug position slowly shaking my head. And to myself I'm saying, "which one of us doesn't get it?") Ask Scott Bradner used to say, "there's a clue-density problem here."
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode to a breakfast of our church "seniors" group this am. A very nice new lady commended me for riding my bike, and I told her it was "only" 3.5 miles. She about fainted when she heard it was that long. I then told her that I have been averaging 20 miles per day this summer.

That 20 miles absolutely floored her.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eight miles to work commute and I had a woman at work ask if I was a professional cyclist.
    Today it's beautiful. On the way home during our morning ride (we had the day off) my wife and I stopped in to pick up my new glasses. It's 84 degrees and gorgeous here. The woman behind the counter said "Isn't it way to hot to be riding?"
    Let's fac eit. We have vastly different perceptions than many of our non-riding neighbors who can't imagine a $1500 bicycle but have a ski boat and an SUV.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Scott CR1-Gary Fisher Sugar-Litespeed Ultimate
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After telling a freind about a 100 mile ride I had done, they said, so how many days did it take you?
    DAYS!---it took six hours.
    Their mouth just dropped open in astonishment.
    I'm not totally useless....I can be used as a BAD example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLIZZ
    After telling a freind about a 100 mile ride I had done, they said, so how many days did it take you?
    Ha! I had the exact same thing happen.
    Someone asked "what's the furthest you're ever ridden?"
    I answered, 223 miles. They asked, how many days?
    I answered, 12 hours, 18 minutes.
    They did not believe me even though they see me ride to and from work everyday.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BLIZZ
    My doctor asked the same question when I told him I had done a century He couldn't believe someone could actually ride 100 miles in a day.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith