User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hypertension / blood pressure medications? If you're taking what's yours?

I just got diagnosed with hypertension today, that and cervical radiculopathy (nasty). However that's as maybe.

I'm curious -- if any of you are taking blood pressure medications? and whether you are OK with them. Sites I have checked so far, folk are not too happy with DiovanHCT which is what I have been given. But then, human nature is usually to post up only if the medication is a problem. Conversely, usually if it works, on goes on one's merry way.

So, anyone out there taking BP meds, or even Diovan? What are your experiences? (Understood things work differently for everyone.)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    attenalol, 25 mg per day, down from 50 because I've been good and have ridden my bike a lot. I can't seem to get down to 0 because I get cranky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atenolol 75mg daily and hopefully I will get the doc convinced to reduce it to 50 or even 25 on my next visit with her. BP has been low or at normal level for over a month and half since getting back on the bike.

My Bikes
    Bikes: Trek 730, Panasonic Dx-1000, Giant Cypress, Specialized Crossroads (wife's)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have hypertension, but have a leaky aortic valve. I take Toprol XL(beta blocker) and Lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) so I don't get so much backwash through the valve into my heart. My BP stays below 120/70, even immediately after exercise.

Beta blockers can cause dizziness and anxiety, so the first two weeks I took 1/2 a pill a day to get used to it. I also take it right before bed, which I think helps because if it makes me dizzy I'm already laying down or asleep.

Your dr may have other suggestions. Listen to her, not us!

Good luck!

c~
    Get out of the house, light out and look all around....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take diovan and I take hcl, but no way would I take them in the same pill.

I monitor my BP carefully, and I adjust my hcl as I find my BP changing in some fashion.

I also buy the diovan in a double dose and cut it in half, saving mucho on insurance deductibles.

This bit about 2 meds in one pill is just a gimmick.

I have no side effects from the Diovan, but the hcl makes me go to the potty, and too much makes me dizzy.

I get terrible coughing from an Ace Inhibitor (which is a known side effect).

Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take a diuretic (HCTZ, 25 mg) and an ACE inhibitor, (lisinopril, 10mg). I'm still getting regulated. With just the HCTZ I was around 140 over 80. A couple of years ago, they would have been satisfied with those numbers. Now they want you below 130 over 70. Minor coughing (only when exerting myself) and noticably more urination and have to pay attention to drinking enough on the bike. Other than that, no problems. Beats a stroke or kidney failure, good on you for paying attention and seeing the dog. I mean doc.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    dawes, schwinn, kona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do i start? I take:
    Diovan 80mg
    Atenolol 100 mg
    HCTZ 25 mg
    Lipitor 10 mg
    Aggranox 200/25

Was just on the Atenolol prior to a stroke in 2004. The rest have been added since then. I really don't do enough riding (that's what I keep telling my wife anyway). The combination of stuff makes me feel tired... but just getting out on the bike ( forcing myself sometimes) makes me feel great. Doc had me on 160mg Diovan....i slept most of the time lol.

Although i don't like to take the stuff, it is better than the alternative... following my stroke i had to relearn all the important life skills...tying shoes, using buttons, walking, riding a bike, and to my wife's regret, playing the banjo!

The atenolol does limit my HR.... but so does a fatal stroke or heart attack.

Pete

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lisinopril 10mg per day, when I remember to take it. Seems to work with no side effects.

all you need is love blues on a bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atenolol, 50 mg/day. We tried to cut it to 25 mg. but I found my stoopid bp went up at that dosage. I had been hoping to get off it altogether, but not yet.

I've lost 76 pounds since June 2005 and I thought with a healthy diet and exercise, (you know, the secret ingredients to weight loss) most especially the bike riding, I could be drug free. I've got about 25 pounds to go, so maybe when I achieve that, I can deep six the meds.
    Janie

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hyzaar. I'm prescribed the 100mg dosage, but at doctor's suggestion, I got a pill splitter, and so am taking the smaller dosage. I've been taking this stuff for about 10 years with no observable side effects. Buying the large dose and splitting it lets you choose between getting the stuff at essentially half price and ratholing a bunch in case the job and company assisted health insurance go south.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 mg. Metoprolol daily, a Beta-blocker. I believe this is the generic for Lopressor.
    Haven't noticed any of the side effects other than an overly carefree attitude the first couple of weeks.
    It takes both the medication and routine exercise to keep my high BP in control.

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideorglide
    So, anyone out there taking BP meds, or even Diovan? What are your experiences? (Understood things work differently for everyone.)
    I'm 56 and a new Dr about a year ago put me on a low dose Altace (ACE inhibitor), then in January he switched me to Micardis (angiotensis II receptor blocker). With the Altace, I had no symptoms. With the Micardis, I had back pain that I think was related to this drug. Since March I've lost 20 pounds and stopped taking all prescription meds (had also been on Crestor for cholesterol for 3 months end of last year). BP has stayed below 130/85 with the reduction in weight/increase in cycling mileage. No more back pain, so I will stay off the micardis even I have to take BP meds in the future. High BP and cholesterol run in my family.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '87 DeRosa Professional, '91 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber, 1999 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Bobkat, I take 10 mg Lisinopril per day.

I have never been more than a few pounds overweight and I was exercising regularly before I was diagnosed with high BP so I can' say if riding the bike has affected my BP, but it sure can't hurt, my resting heart rate is below 40 BPM. I think my hypertension is related to my sleep apnea, which is discussed in another thread in BF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rideorglide
    I just got diagnosed with hypertension today, that and cervical radiculopathy (nasty). However that's as maybe.

I'm curious -- if any of you are taking blood pressure medications? and whether you are OK with them. Sites I have checked so far, folk are not too happy with DiovanHCT which is what I have been given. But then, human nature is usually to post up only if the medication is a problem. Conversely, usually if it works, on goes on one's merry way.

May I ask what your resting blood pressure is without medication and what values the Dr. hopes to achieve with the medicine?

My Bikes
    Trek Cronus & 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lipitor, 40 MG. Been taking it for 20 years or so.

Al

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat
    lisinopril 10mg per day, when I remember to take it. Seems to work with no side effects.
    +1, my BP was borderline at 90-93 Diastolic. The lisinopril has me consistently below 80 with no side affects.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I see quite a few attenalol users here. My doctor laughs when I call it "Sloth in a can" but as someone here has posted, low heart rate is much better than no heart rate.

I think that you can ride in spite of attenalol. There may be some leg discomfort that you just have to train yourself to work through (it feels like you just can't clear the lactic acid out of your legs) and you may have to use a slightly slower cadence at times. I schedual my water breaks for the midpoint of hills, stop, drink rest the legs and then get back on the bike and ride on up. The most important thing about attenalol is to not let it become an excuse for not riding. You may not feel like it at the start of a ride but after a few miles it all starts to get better. Besides, riding may be the way to cut back.

My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use three different kinds
    diuretic (HCTZ, 50 mg once a day
    Verapamill 250 mg once a day
    and proazosin 5 mg once a day--->even though this is used for BPH it is also considered a B/p med.

the proazosin I believe can effect your cycling as does the diuretic just have to be careful with deyhdration the rest do not seem to cause any problems.
    " Advantages must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"
    He conquers who endures

My Bikes
    Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    178 / 107

It had been 130 - 140 / 90 but recently went up. Ironically I lost 20 lbs over the last 6 months, so it should have gone down.

Thanks for all the replies, everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    May I ask what your resting blood pressure is without medication and what values the Dr. hopes to achieve with the medicine?

qui
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

radiculopathy

Hi there forumers, came to this thread while checking about for radiculopathy topics. Is there anyone else here with the radiculopathy condition?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, but I've changed over to Diovan from Attenalol in the last 2 years and my biking improved.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bicycles are my blood pressure and cholesterol medications.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For five years I took blood pressure medicine. Three years ago I went for an anual exam, you know, one of those things you do every few years. The doctor wanted to add more medicine. I said "STOP", I will take care of it myself.

I was not sure what I would do. I was getting zero exercise. My weight was over 260 pounds. I thought about it and chose riding a bicycle. I did not get serious about it until four months after I started riding.

I took myself off the blood pressure medicine 8 months after I started riding. About 4 months later I went for another check-up. Everything was fine, or actually much better. The doctor said he probably would not have taken me off the BP medicine, but I was doing well. A year later I went in for an exam. I had been riding hard for that year. The doctor could not believe the difference.

I had a doctor visit on an unrelated injury two weeks ago. My blood pressure was checked with me standing, sitting, laying down and back up again. Very good results. The doctor was quite pleased. He said I was probably the "healthiest" patient he would see all day.

I am now on NO medicine. I do take daily vitamins.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add me to both the atenolol (50mg) and HCTZ (12.5mg) lists. I've been on both of them for four years now. My doctor keeps telling me that if I lose enough weight, I can probably drop both - but so far, I haven't followed her instructions...
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norvasc

I've never had my cholesterol checked. When the cholesterol drugs first came out, they killed more people than they saved. They are supposedly better now, but I am not quick to change my mind.
    We are as gods, we might as well get good at it.
    Stewart Brand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast