Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still searching for the perfect shorts

I thought I had hit a home run on my latest purchase of bike shorts. They had this new high tech foam padding for chamois and were extremely comfortable. I had even ridden them on several long rides and they did pretty well. The took care of some comfort issues I was having in the sit area.

I liked my former shorts but the chamois was pretty basic and my sit area tended to get a little numb and uncomfortable on the really long tough rides.

I used the new shorts Monday and unfortunately I now have a horsehoe shaped "outline" on my rear of where the outer edges of the padding where the stitches connect the foam to the spandex. The label bragged about the flat stitching and it seemed and sounded like a really good idea.

I'll heal up soon and recover and I know it was due to simply being in a seated position while plodding along climbing the last 3 hours. The shorts might just be a tad on the large size as well as I noticed as I was pedaling the shorts didn't slide with me on the saddle-but I was moving a little inside the shorts!!! So, the rubbing definitely left it's mark!!

I've never had to use creams for rides and I really hope to avoid them but I suspect they might have helped a little on Monday. Fortunately I don't have those types of rides but once a year. Live and learn.

I've probably just started a whole nother Bib discussion!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really annoying when you buy a pair of shorts, find out they don't work, and are stuck with 'em. I, myself, have been on a search for the perfect shorts, with little to show for it but a closet full of shorts that I don't especially like.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried Aerotech?

I bought a pair about a month ago and they're the best I've found so far. They get favorable reviews in other forums here, are reasonably priced ($50). and they are made in the USA!

My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that BikerJoeP is right jppe. I hear Assos as the solution to buttock and nether woes from everyone, even women! Unfortunately, I understand that once you try them, you'll never want to settle for anything less, and so must be prepared to shell out the big bucks every time you need a new pair.

I don't yet do such long-distance riding, so I can't offer any personal input. And if I could, it'd be with regard to a WSD chamois. Sorry.

My Bikes
    Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJoeP
    Assos
    1+, I'll be wearing them in the RAIN (Ride Across INdiana) July 14th.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.voler.com/products.aspx?CID=4&PID=12

Our club team kits are from these guys. I like the ion chamois.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Einstein

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I really like Voler's Equipe shorts. Mostly because of the Monolith chamois, which is seamless, just the right thickness, and well-shaped. I now own three pairs.
    Last edited by bernmart; 06-14-07 at 07:55 PM.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They cost an arm and a leg but nothing beats the Assos F.I. Mille A.310 Bib Shorts.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have stepped up biking to 50 miles/day most days. I use top of the line Pearl Izumi without a single concern and I do not baby them or my rear-end.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Giordana Tenax. Bicycling Magazine rated them #1 for shorts under $100. I also have some Louis Garneau ($145) that I got for $99 through Performance. My theory is that you should spend $1 for every mile you plan to ride, e.g., $50 for 50 milers, $100 for centuries.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I do wear Bibs there is a big difference in comfort as you go up the line. I recently moved up from my Performance Ultra to some Castelli bibs and they are much more comfortable and I wear them exclusively on my long rides now. Next purchase will probably be Assos. I have a Assos jersey which is very nice and I am coming to the mind that this is one place you probably don't want the low cost option. Its hard for me to shell out $150 but they are probably the only clothes I wear 5 days a week. I used the same logic when I bought my Sidi shoes, they cost more but my feet are happy I paid the extra $.

BTW - I would assume comfort in the crotch is the same issue whether its bibs or shorts. Its all about the pad, stitching and the Lycra used.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't put my finger on it but I have found I am partial to the REI house brand shorts (Navaro), but they do where out quickly. The LBS recommended I try some Castelli stuff, might give it a go, they have a nice jersey that will match my new bike.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought these Pearl Izumi bibs and really like them -

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1120

Then I bought these (because they looked like they might be cooler for summer) and I don't like them as much as the first pair - mainly because of the chamois -

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1120

"You pays your money and takes your choice."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes
    http://www.voler.com/products.aspx?CID=4&PID=12

Our club team kits are from these guys. I like the ion chamois.
    +1
    Here's the retail site. The Elite DX shorts are excellent, and on sale, my favorite all day wear. Join their V-club and get an even better discount. Way more comfortable then my PI Ultrasensors.

http://www.velowear.com/products/1110134BLKXSM.aspx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your shorts do sound like they are too big, the movement isn't helping. Bodyglide is easy to use, you might try rubbing it on the stitching. It lasts for my 4 hour rides.

My Bikes
    Bianchi road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boure

I can recommend the Boure shorts, the Elite work best for me. Snug fitting, good muscle support, heavy lycra, comfy pad, quick drying. Not too expensive considering the good quality and money back guarantee. Check out www.boure.com. I also use Bag Balm to prevent any chafing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    I suspect that BikerJoeP is right jppe. I hear Assos as the solution to buttock and nether woes from everyone, even women! Unfortunately, I understand that once you try them, you'll never want to settle for anything less, and so must be prepared to shell out the big bucks every time you need a new pair.
    After you throw out all the cheaper shorts you've bought and add up how much you spent, you'll find you would have been way ahead just buying Assos to begin with - ask me how I know

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giordana never disappoints...
    given a choice, all my kit would be from them

on the budget side, Canari Velo-somethingorother-$30 in Sports Authority are quite nice, decent pad area with not tooo much stuff, well cut so they don't bunch in the 'divide', decent fabric, not too short & not too long, not too tight or too loose in the thigh opening, good gripers. No overdone logoing, stitching or other goofball poseur looks (like the rolled-up, exposed legband thang...- much too much for moi). Basic Black, Pretty good stuff for $30

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the perfect shorts: Insport Brute shorts. Unfortunately, they ain't going to work for all of you upright riders.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

all you need is love blues on a bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had something happen to me yesterday on a 17.5 mile ride that has never happened before. Not to be indelicate, but my.....uh, what makes me a woman......went numb. I regularly ride 20 or 22 miles at a pop, so the distance wasn't unusual. My hands have fallen asleep before, but never my......hoo ha Tuesday.

I have bought only one pair of bike shorts. They're Trek, just basic women's shorts. I think I paid around $55 for them from an LBS. I guess they help some, but I really don't notice that much of a difference when I wear them.

I would like to try some others and I'm willing to go for quality. But ordering clothing online seems like a hassle. What if they don't fit properly? I'm going to try to check out some of these brands you all mentioned in here. With a little luck my _________________ (do-it-your-self-fill-in-the-blank) won't feel like it's shot full of novocaine.
    Janie

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't get me started on searching for shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bw77
    I can recommend the Boure shorts, the Elite work best for me. Snug fitting, good muscle support, heavy lycra, comfy pad, quick drying. Not too expensive considering the good quality and money back guarantee. Check out www.boure.com. I also use Bag Balm to prevent any chafing.
    +1 on Bag Balm. On the Boure shorts. Do they run true to the size charts on the web site? With everyone's mid line bibs heading for $150+ the prices seem very reasonable. Another thought, how is the chamois/pad on the Elite?

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blues on a bike
    I had something happen to me yesterday on a 17.5 mile ride that has never happened before. Not to be indelicate, but my.....uh, what makes me a woman......went numb. I regularly ride 20 or 22 miles at a pop, so the distance wasn't unusual. My hands have fallen asleep before, but never my......hoo ha Tuesday.

I have bought only one pair of bike shorts. They're Trek, just basic women's shorts. I think I paid around $55 for them from an LBS. I guess they help some, but I really don't notice that much of a difference when I wear them.

I would like to try some others and I'm willing to go for quality. But ordering clothing online seems like a hassle. What if they don't fit properly? I'm going to try to check out some of these brands you all mentioned in here. With a little luck my _________________ (do-it-your-self-fill-in-the-blank) won't feel like it's shot full of novocaine.
    My understanding is that many women use a topical application to make it numb; maybe this is not a bad thing.

Shorts seem to be like saddles for me -- I've bought some higher end stuff lately, but it doesn't work as well as the cheaper stuff. I'm disappointed in some Castelli bib shorts and Cannondale shorts that I bought lately. The Pearl Izumi stuff seems to work well for me, though.

all you need is love blues on a bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really!? Is this true, sisters?
    Janie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast