Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

18 miles, and a nod from a roadie

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-16-07, 01:18 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hubby and I went for our weekly "long" (to us) ride this morning. Each week we add a few miles to our rides, since I've been warned to progress slowly. Anyway today we rode exactly 18 miles. We stopped for bagels, fresh fruit, and coffee a few miles from home on our way back.

I wore my liner shorts under my jeans just to try them out. Together with the jeans they are HOT!! It's time to get some bike pants since the weather is warming up now.

On our way back I saw a group of roadies approaching on the other side of the street. I expected them to completely ignore us on our hybrids. But one of them actually smiled and nodded when I looked over! Maybe it was just my pink helmet, but I didn't feel quite as Freddish at that moment.

Next ride, we'll aim for 20 or a few more. I'm beginning to see why so many of you ride many, many more miles. I want to keep going all day, but my legs tell me when to stop. I'm going to start riding a few evenings a week after work, just to use those muscles during the week, rather than waiting until the weekend to go riding again.

Jen
Old 06-16-07, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just goes to show you....regardless of the steed, regardless of the speed, we're all
cyclists and we'll always have that common bond. Oh yeah, don't sell yourself short....
18 miles is a sizable ride.
Old 06-16-07, 01:42 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18 miles is terrific! In fact, you rode someone's age! Keep going...those unexpected nods and smiles from folks along the way are really fun and inspiring.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-16-07, 02:08 PM
Banned

Bikes: Trek 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
But one of them actually smiled and nodded when I looked over! Maybe it was just my pink helmet, but I didn't feel quite as Freddish at that moment.

Jen

Maybe it was your smile!
Old 06-16-07, 02:14 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to remember cranky old dude's "regardless of steed or speed!" we are all cyclists with a common bond. Most of our serious roadie racers around here will smile and wave EVEN to an old guy like me on a bent! Ther's always the occasional stuffed shirt . . ....eeerrr....stuffed jersey, but I just ignore them!
Old 06-16-07, 02:19 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Some actually do nod, or wave, maybe the rest just aren't having as much fun as we are!!
Old 06-16-07, 02:22 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Just goes to show you....regardless of the steed, regardless of the speed, we're all
cyclists and we'll always have that common bond. Oh yeah, don't sell yourself short....
+1
Old 06-16-07, 02:24 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or maybe you're a hot babe and he was thinking your hubby was a lucky man!

On another note, jeans are not good for biking in any weather! Too heavy, too stiff. Bike shorts are nice. I usually wear them on "serious" rides but for those easy casual MUP or neighborhood jaunts bike liners with loose fitting street shorts are just fine. I have a pair of so-called golf shorts that have a bit of Lycra blended in the twill that work very well. Got them at Penney's or Kohl's.

In cooler weather I use stretchy leggings from REI (multi-sport, not skintight bike specific) but again loose fitting twill pants (especially if they have some stretch) would probably work well. Use rubber bands or those Velcro ankle thingies to keep your cuff out of the chain, natch.

Good idea to ride during the week too. And keep smiling!
Old 06-16-07, 04:48 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh yeah, don't sell yourself short....

Yeah, 18 miles aint nothing to scoff at. There was a time when I'd say you was crazy for riding a bike that far.

Ditch the jeans and get you and hubby a good pair of cycling specific shorts and jersey. Comfort is paramount on long rides.
Old 06-16-07, 05:13 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
18 miles is terrific! Congratulations!
Old 06-16-07, 07:12 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
"I'm going to start riding a few evenings a week after work, just to use those muscles during the week, rather than waiting until the weekend to go riding again."

I think that's an excellant idea! Each day you don't ride, you regress! Even doing 1 mile a day is FAR better than doing none.
Old 06-17-07, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I think that you will find it much easier to increase your riding time/distance when you lose the jeans in favor of bike shorts. The other gear (jersey, gloves, and shoes) is also important, but padded shorts top the list.

Keep up the good work.
Old 06-17-07, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would they have nodded, if it was just your husband, riding by himself?
Old 06-17-07, 11:06 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's an old (really old) guy on a balloon tire who constantly cruises our county roads with two racks and bags for cans. He's as brown as a coffee bean and might be considered homeless except for his bike.
I always wave at him......he's probably got more miles than anyone else I know.

And he actually produces and contributes something besides lactic acid when he rides.

Yen, ride your ride and know you're part of Il Grand Ciclisme no matter....but it's nice when we connect with another "out there". Cycling can be intensely personal and intensely social all at the same time...kool.
Old 06-17-07, 12:47 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
There's an old (really old) guy on a balloon tire who constantly cruises our county roads with two racks and bags for cans.
I've had my bridgestone set up as a garbage scow. The first part of the outing involved letting my old dog walk until he was tired. He was huge and sloooow, so I put those open panniers that fit grocery bags on and collected roadside trash with a grabber stick. I'm sure people thought I was some crazy person, but it was a good thing to do. Then I'd throw him in the trailer when he was tired and ride home.
Old 06-17-07, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what do your non-bicycling friends think about you only riding 18 miles? 90 to nothing they can't imagine anyone riding that far, at least voluntarily. And +1 about you setting the tone. Usually when I acknowledge someone, they return it in kind. Somebody else said something about reaping what you sow. You just didn't have to wait long for things to sprout and grow. On the other hand, you might be right, it could be the pink helmet...
Old 06-17-07, 01:32 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I told Hubby that I don't want to talk much about our bike rides with our non-riding friends, unless they ask. Before, if someone always told me how often they rode that day or that weekend, I'd have nothing more to say than "MMMmmmmm" or "Wow", but that's it. For example, our neighbor who is a devote non-exerciser and laughs at us when we go out for a walk or a ride. I think it is best to just keep doing it and let them see us slimmed down and smiling all the time.
Old 06-17-07, 01:48 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

I've never understood the roadies who fly by without so much as a nod I enjoy talking to other people on the trails and roads and really don't care what they're riding or wearing. I see all kinds of bikes on the Saturday morning rides with the parks. I also enjoy seeing people who slowly improve their biking skills and start thinking about upgrading their bikes and equipment

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-17-07, 03:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our moderate pace group waves and smiles to everyone, even the hammerheads.
Old 06-17-07, 03:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do want to echo everyone's comments regarding your riding apparel. Ditch the jeans for something more bike friendly.
Old 06-18-07, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wino Ryder
Yeah, 18 miles aint nothing to scoff at. There was a time when I'd say you was crazy for riding a bike that far.

Ditch the jeans and get you and hubby a good pair of cycling specific shorts and jersey. Comfort is paramount on long rides.
Same here. After my first 10 mile ride 2 years ago I flet like Rocky at the top of the steps! Cyclists are always interested in other cyclists if they are true cyclistis.

On Saturday I took a mid ride stop at a local park. Guy stops me and wants to know what kind of bike to get. After about 25 min. I ended up with go to a LBS and check things out, you might be surprised how technology and price have merged in bicycles. Then as I am getting ready to leave a guy in a catering truck asks me if he can unload at the picnic shelter! I'm in bike shorts and top, I must have looked in charge. The van driver was a body and face double for Michael Moore.

Bike specific shorts will make your life on a bike much better.