Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trek's New Madone Announced

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 02:05 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The middle "Performance" (as opposed to "Pro") model has a larger frame for longer-legged riders, which is nice as the previous model topped off at 62c.

Link: https://trekroad.typepad.com/trekroad...the_unvei.html

The angles look pretty good to me--like a Lemond.

Old 06-14-07, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I watched the video and all I have to say is "Bah, Hum Bug!" Here we go again, just as I get a bike with cutting edge technology, someone puts the bar up a few notches. Oh, well....
Old 06-14-07, 04:03 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wagathon
has a larger frame for longer-legged riders . . .
I was at a bike store in Charlotte, NC the other day. I guy brought in a bicycle for service. It was owned by one of the players on the Charlotte Bobcat Basketball team. The top tube was at my shoulder level. (I'm 5' 11".)

The Trek Madone is a nice looking bike.
Old 06-14-07, 05:51 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://www.velonews.com/tech/report/...s/12366.0.html
Old 06-14-07, 05:54 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
As someone who has a technical background and appreciates the application of technical stuff, I like what I hear and read. I can't afford it but one of these days........
Old 06-14-07, 06:01 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my LBS's had at least 6 or 7 of them on the floor when I visited this past Monday. They sold one while I was there (but not to me!)
Old 06-14-07, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just an observation from a very satisfied Madone biker.
The bike is really good but the roads I am biking on are getting worse and worse.
The road infrastructure of this country is a disgrace.
Old 06-14-07, 08:39 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
As someone who has a technical background and appreciates the application of technical stuff, I like what I hear and read. I can't afford it but one of these days........
I've started saving for mine....maybe by the time the 2009 are here

Unfortunately they only offer two in the WSD models. A 5.1 and a 6.5. I've heard the 5.1 will go for around $3000 and the 6.5 will be about double that

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-14-07, 08:47 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Looks like a good bike. When did Steve Jobs start working at Trek?
Enjoy the kool-ade.
Old 06-15-07, 07:05 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
They sold one while I was there (but not to me!)
We could have guessed that.
Old 06-15-07, 09:53 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just looked at both the 5.2 and 5.5, while Trek was on my short list it was down the list. After seeing these bikes they have moved up. I was quoted $3,400 for the 5.5 with Dura Ace and $2,900 for the 5.2 with Ultegra. I may end up going home with one these this weekend.

2013 Noah RS

Last edited by stonecrd; 06-15-07 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 10:38 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the new style in my mind is pretty hot.
I owned a Madone 5.5 but just could never get comfortable do to the geometry and sold the frame
Not for everyone but a proven frame
Old 06-15-07, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Just an observation from a very satisfied Madone biker.
The bike is really good but the roads I am biking on are getting worse and worse.
The road infrastructure of this country is a disgrace.
A steel frame bike will offset the poor road quality.
Old 06-15-07, 01:24 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A properly designed carbon fiber bike should pass less road induced vibration to the rider than a steel frame.

Trek is quite adamant about this, saying that they have confirmed this over and over again in their testing. So have several other manufacturers.

Tests of the materials themselves show that CF is much better at vibration damping than is steel.
Old 06-15-07, 03:01 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

The true test is on the road. But lets not be among the tiny-brained people who get locked into the "what is best" trap as if anything not deemed "best" is worthless crap. Good steel tubing in a well designed and well built frame is very good at damping road vibrations and providing a lively feel. Carbon fiber, when properly designed and executed is also very good at that. What numbers some laboratory test produces is of little value on the road. $3000 steel bikes and $3000 CF bikes tend to be very good. There are many examples of each that I would be happy to own.
Old 06-15-07, 03:52 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
I just looked at both the 5.2 and 5.5, while Trek was on my short list it was down the list. After seeing these bikes they have moved up. I was quoted $3,400 for the 5.5 with Dura Ace and $2,900 for the 5.2 with Ultegra. I may end up going home with one these this weekend.
I stopped at my LBS this afternoon to pick up a couple tubes for the mountain bike and to see if they had any of the new Madones. They didn't have any but the owner said he had ordered a 5.5 for himself and would be sure to call me when it came in. He asked how soon I wanted to order mine

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-15-07, 03:52 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The true test is on the road. But lets not be among the tiny-brained people who get locked into the "what is best" trap as if anything not deemed "best" is worthless crap.
I don't think anyone was saying anything like that.

Good steel tubing in a well designed and well built frame is very good at damping road vibrations and providing a lively feel. Carbon fiber, when properly designed and executed is also very good at that. What numbers some laboratory test produces is of little value on the road. $3000 steel bikes and $3000 CF bikes tend to be very good. There are many examples of each that I would be happy to own.
No arguments with that.
Old 06-15-07, 03:57 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I was saying was that of all of the popular materials being used to build bike frames, the material with the best vibration damping qualities is carbon fiber.

But that certainly doesn't mean that all carbon fiber bikes will be better than all steel or titanium bikes. One could build a CF bike that is overly stiff, or a steel bike that is overly jiggly, or even an aluminum bike that is relatively smooth.

I'll add that if the two best frame designers in the world were equally proficient, one with CF and the other with steel, that the one using CF would have the advantage. Particularly given that they could shape any aspect of the frame to the optimal shape & still have the lightness & vibration damping qualities of the CF.

This is close to the position that Calfee Design takes.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-15-07 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-15-07, 04:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I was saying was that of all of the popular materials being used to build bike frames, the material with the best vibration damping qualities is carbon fiber.

But that certainly doesn't mean that all carbon fiber bikes will be better than all steel or titanium bikes. One could build a CF bike that is overly stiff, or a steel bike that is overly jiggly, or even an aluminum bike that is relatively smooth.

My experience matches the data you support. Carbon does a great job of dealing with vibration. Now if only road fatigue was just due to vibration. I find that there are bumps and jolts that wear me out just as quickly if not more quickly than road vibration, and my own experience with a very stiff carbon frame is that it seems to magnify the bumps and jolts in the same way my very stiff alum. bikes did. Steel, on the other hand, seems to have some spring in it that reduces the impact of bumps and jolts. Just my experience, and the reason I'm excited about completing my carbon steel build.
Old 06-15-07, 04:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
We could have guessed that.
It would be downright silly for me to buy a high-end Madone.

I might be able to increase my speed up to 13 mph.

I wonder how they feel on a gravel rail trail?

And if I put platform pedals on one, would I arise each morning to find that the Madone had shed them off.

However I would enjoy overhearing the comment, "Get a load of that Fred on the Madone!"
Old 06-15-07, 04:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Now if only road fatigue was just due to vibration. I find that there are bumps and jolts that wear me out just as quickly if not more quickly than road vibration...
Gee, I wonder what in the world could be done about that?

TCS
Old 06-15-07, 05:51 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance said it felt ... heavy, e.g., like a motorcycle, which could be, e.g., it's not twitchy: it's stiff with a road damping solidity to it--like having lead in the rocker panels (ride-with-no-hands?)--and yet, of course, it also is very light. Which seems to say, e.g., it's not whippy -- it has a secure and sturdy feel and a feeling of power on demand.
Old 06-15-07, 06:27 PM
just keep riding

This comment has nothing to do with the bike, which I am sure is wonderful.
Did anyone else expect to see Ron Popiel come out and start spraying paint on some guy's bald spot during that infomercial?
Old 06-15-07, 06:28 PM
just keep riding

I don't think anyone was saying anything like that.
Agreed. But we were on the early miles of the road that goes there.
Old 06-15-07, 08:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps a Brooks saddle, with springs, is called for!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.