Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Funky water bottles

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Funky water bottles

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-07, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funky water bottles

Any body have any good tips on how to clean water bottles. I think the plastic itself deteriorates and I end up throwing them away. Just had a thought, doesn't happen often, Those liner things they use in baby bottles, wonder if they could be used in water bottles.
Old 06-19-07, 08:50 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they get real bad I just throw them away. They're not that expensive. But if you want to clean the bottle, soaking them in a weak bleach solution will work. Let them air dry before you use them.
Old 06-19-07, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The automatic dishwasher does not clean them well enough!
Old 06-19-07, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a bottle brush often, even when they don't look that dirty. It seems to keep them in good condition. I have never had to replace one.
Old 06-19-07, 09:17 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'm not sure if it works on bottles but one of the cleaning secrets for camelbacks is.........wait for it 50+........denture cleaning tabs.
Old 06-19-07, 09:20 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
I use a bottle brush often, even when they don't look that dirty. It seems to keep them in good condition. I have never had to replace one.
I use a bottle brush, too.

When returning from a ride I fill the water bottles with water and a drop of dishwashing liquid. I normally allow them to soak overnight and then wash with the bottle brush the next day.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-19-07, 09:24 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will soak mine in 3% bleach solution and then wash them in the dishwasher. I do this about once a month. I rinse then out with hot water after every ride making sure to fill and squeeze hot water through the top as well, they are then dried upside down on paper towels with the lids separate. I have to be on top of this with the humidity down here mold develops quite quickly.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-19-07, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seldom do anything but rinse them out real well and refill. Once in a while wash out with dishwashing liquid and a brush. I did throw one away that gave off a horrid plastic taste, the rest of them seem to be fine. But then again, I like the taste of moldy cheese.
Old 06-19-07, 10:05 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ah, a good reason to continue my practice of drinking straight from the Gatorade bottles.
Old 06-19-07, 10:28 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I use a bottle brush, too.

When returning from a ride I fill the water bottles with water and a drop of dishwashing liquid. I normally allow them to soak overnight and then wash with the bottle brush the next day.
I do this, or if I get a few dirty ones I'll soak them in hot soapy water in the sink. The bottle brush works well. The biggest thing for me is to rinse them good. I use the sprayer at the kitchen sink and run water over and through the top. I've never had good luck washing them in the dishwasher. What soap gets inside them doesn't rinse out well.

Nothing worse than expecting a refreshing drink of water and getting a mouth full of soap.
Old 06-19-07, 10:30 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Polar bottles so they are little too pricey to throw away. They do a reasonable job of keeping things cold if you fill them with ice. I don't like warm liquid too much.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-19-07, 11:35 AM
Old Tester

Bikes: Giant TCR, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a solution made for cleaning baby feeding bottles. In the UK its called 'Milton', don't know about elsewhere.
Old 06-19-07, 11:38 AM
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the sterilising solution ( Milton)
I use it for my Camelback bladders too

george
Old 06-19-07, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by further
Any body have any good tips on how to clean water bottles. I think the plastic itself deteriorates and I end up throwing them away. Just had a thought, doesn't happen often, Those liner things they use in baby bottles, wonder if they could be used in water bottles.
That was the first thing I noticed with the daughters and each of my grandsons. (maybe not the first). When the grandsons were fed via bottle, it was a regular bottle, neither used the bottle shell, plastic liner bags. Not sure they still exist. They both breast fed, so making up a dozen bottles of formula was something they didn't have to do. At any rate believe the liners were about 8 oz., way too small for a bike water bottle. In the cooler weather I just used a 27 oz. Propel water bottle, over and over again. No more than a rinse out before refilling. Kept bottle with water in refrigerator. For summer I recently switched to a Thermos brand sport bottle I got at food store, $3.99. Bottle is 24 oz. and wrapped with a separate insulated jacket. Freeze bottle half full, without jacket, top off before ride. Only problem is I still have ice in bottle after 2 hours. So seldom finish whole bottle. I just fill to half way point and put back in freezer. Only thing I know that will deteriorate you bottles is sun light. I have no problems with tops, cause I stop and dismount for my breaks. Like to gulp, so screw off top and do so.