Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So. Illinois rail trail

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So. Illinois rail trail

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So. Illinois rail trail

Well, I didn't get to make the trip to Mn to ride the Root River trails. But we did go down to southern Illinois to ride the Tunnel Hill trail. We've ridden portions of it before, with the kids. The section we rode was from the northern end at Harrisburg, to the trail HQ at Vienna. 66 miles RT, with a tunnel in the "middle". Several long shallow uphill/downhills- uphill from each side to the tunnel, and at each of the 3 or 4 towns on the route. Surface is screened limestone, and was a little thick in most spots. We just came from a two week hiatus from riding (vacation). Was not expecting to have any trouble with the ride, planned on about a 13 mph average (rolling, not counting stops). We averaged 11.1, and were so sore/tired by the time we finished, we were struggling to maintain 10 mph!

I'm always amazed at how fast my riding ability attrophies when not riding. Week before vacation we did a 70 mile (asphalt) ride with quite a few hills, with no real problems at all!
Old 06-22-07, 06:27 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
The rail-trails are one thing I miss about living back east. Was just inside Md, below Shrewsbury, Pa.
Lots of great, scenic rail-trails in Pa. (might be the state with the most rail-trails). Great for getting a good ride in without traffic, and found most followed creeks or rivers, good for taking in the views. The gravel, if like most trails I've seen, will eventually settle or wash off if deep. I've been on some that had become like hard concrete!
Old 06-22-07, 10:53 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a nice trip. I love the rail trails up here in Wisconsin, and we are blessed with so many of them, with more coming. I think there is something like 570 miles in rail trails now in the state, with a long-term plan of getting to 1000.

The one that passes my house is brand new, with lots of gravel on top. Got to be careful riding it in places - wouldn't want to try it with skinny tires. The older trails are much harder/smoother.
Old 06-22-07, 11:14 AM
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
The rail-trails are one thing I miss about living back east. Was just inside Md, below Shrewsbury, Pa.
Lots of great, scenic rail-trails in Pa. (might be the state with the most rail-trails). Great for getting a good ride in without traffic, and found most followed creeks or rivers, good for taking in the views. The gravel, if like most trails I've seen, will eventually settle or wash off if deep. I've been on some that had become like hard concrete!
North Central, eh!
Yeah, that's a nice one. I try to ride from Timmonium to York and back every year or so.
Old 06-24-07, 07:55 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by cc_rider
North Central, eh!
Yeah, that's a nice one. I try to ride from Timmonium to York and back every year or so.
The NCR trail is fine work riding during the week, but can get like I-95 on weekends. Donna had a kid pull out from behind his father, to pass him, and ran head on into her on NCR! The Allegheny Highlands Trail if probably one of my favorites, and the North and South Yough trails are great also. Here's a link to the Allegheny Highlands: https://www.traillink.com/TL_Active_P...AS%5FLength%3D
Old 06-24-07, 08:28 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Rails to Trails are great. We have one that is 90% complete and has been under construction for years, the American Tobacco Trail. When complete, it will connect Apex, NC to Durham, NC and cover a distance of 23 miles. There are plans to build feeder trails to the ATT. One of the feeders will be about 5 blocks from my house (It's the best they could do!). Only problem is the painfully slow building process.
Great thread!