Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

"Recreational Rider".........

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 06:22 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts

Why do I find this term derogatory? I have found that it is what fits me, but for some reason, don't like being called one. I don't enjoy hammerfests, I do enjoy a decent pace, riding back roads, putting on some mileage, and taking in the scenery. And I don't think that's such a bad way to enjoy cycling. Anyone else found the term to carry a negative connotation? I know it shouldn't bug me, but it does!
Old 06-22-07, 06:29 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never thought of the term recreational rider as being derogatory. I consider myself a recreational rider and feel that puts me light years ahead of friends that are recreational couch potatoes!
I consider the hammerfest fans to be recreational riders also, just a different type.
Old 06-22-07, 06:35 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never thought the label was derogatory. I often refer to this type of riding as "Stop and smell the roses"

I do all types of riding from those slow rides to enjoy the scenery and the occasional hammer-fest to improve fitness. I think everyone should ride for the enjoyment.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-22-07, 06:42 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here's my take.
Anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist.
Cyclists fall into two basic groups, recreational and transportational.
Recreational riders are the vast majority, riding for fitness, sport or just for...recreation.
Transportational riders ride to get someplace for reasons other than recreation...work, errands, etc.
Many riders are both transportational AND recreational.
I commute to work, but even then I consider it as a mixture of my recreation for transportational purposes.

Now there are those who wish to separate cyclists into 'serious' and 'non serious', usually sport or 'advocate' riders who think their sport, speed, mileage, classes, etc. make them 'serious'...usually lumping recreational riders into the non-serious category. IMO it's basically just a way for them to feel superior to others and an indication of their own personality issues and insecurities.

So, no reason to get offended if someone calls you a recreational rider - if they think they are dissing you, they are only displaying their own ignorance and insecurity.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-22-07, 06:51 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Welcome to the 50+ forum. Most of us are "recreational riders". More common sense and courtesy prevails here than in some of the other groups.

Here you are allowed to have a 6 speed bike with aero bars that you use to go to the pie shop on Sunday morning and we will think its cool.

Smiles per mile......................
Old 06-22-07, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8274 Post(s)
Liked 9,030 Times in 4,470 Posts
What would you prefer; squid, Fred, poser, wannabee, bike nerd...? just kidding...
Old 06-22-07, 07:24 AM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Why do I find this term derogatory? I have found that it is what fits me, but for some reason, don't like being called one. I don't enjoy hammerfests, I do enjoy a decent pace, riding back roads, putting on some mileage, and taking in the scenery. And I don't think that's such a bad way to enjoy cycling. Anyone else found the term to carry a negative connotation? I know it shouldn't bug me, but it does!
When I grow up I want to be a professional recreationist. So being a recreational cyclist is part of my training.

The term doesn't bother me as much as that attitude prevalent in other forums wherein if you don't ride like you're 22 you ain't ****. Now that gets my chamois in a twist, by golly.
Old 06-22-07, 07:30 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
The term "sport rider" or "club rider" probably fits fast non-licensed hammerheads better.

Old 06-22-07, 07:30 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
If you recreate yourself while riding, I guess you are a recreational cyclist. As Chipcom said, those who have a need to label everyone have a label for themselves probably.

Of course, Chip is a little sensitive because no one has been able to figure what kind of group he should belong too.

I mean, how many middle aged, slightly puggy, cigar smoking, playboy posing, supermodels can there be? (Please tell me no more than one...!)
Old 06-22-07, 07:32 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Nothing wrong with being a recreational rider. Like Chipcom said, most of us are recreational riders and a few are transportational. I would add a category of professional or near professional racers. Most of the hammerheads who might look down on recreational riders would fall in the recreational category.
Old 06-22-07, 07:33 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
If you count Rue Paul there are at least 2.
Old 06-22-07, 07:48 AM
Bike Commuter

Bikes: Tandem; MTB; Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are all recreational riders, unless one of us happens to be in an actual race at the time.

There are a lot of "legends-in-their-own-mind" riders though. ;-)
Old 06-22-07, 07:48 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
If you recreate yourself while riding, I guess you are a recreational cyclist. As Chipcom said, those who have a need to label everyone have a label for themselves probably.

Of course, Chip is a little sensitive because no one has been able to figure what kind of group he should belong too.

I mean, how many middle aged, slightly puggy, cigar smoking, playboy posing, supermodels can there be? (Please tell me no more than one...!)
I don't smoke cigars...I fall into a class all my own...though I am not sure class has anything to do with it.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-22-07, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I rarely get on a bike except when I want to go somewhere, so that makes me "transportational". However, I really enjoy it, so that makes me "recreational."
If I am at the shore, riding to the beach, am I "recreational" or "transportational?"
For that matter, isn't racing a form of recreation?
If "recreational" means "I enjoy it", then that's what I am, no apologies.
Is pie transportational or recreational? One can ride to get to it.

Paul
Old 06-22-07, 07:49 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Nothing wrong with being a recreational rider. Like Chipcom said, most of us are recreational riders and a few are transportational. I would add a category of professional or near professional racers. Most of the hammerheads who might look down on recreational riders would fall in the recreational category.
I agree, perhaps "professional" is valid, for those who actually get paid to ride for a living.
Old 06-22-07, 07:50 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
I rarely get on a bike except when I want to go somewhere, so that makes me "transportational". However, I really enjoy it, so that makes me "recreational."
If I am at the shore, riding to the beach, am I "recreational" or "transportational?"
For that matter, isn't racing a form of recreation?
If "recreational" means "I enjoy it", then that's what I am, no apologies.
Is pie transportational or recreational? One can ride to get to it.

Paul
Pie is mathmatical.
Old 06-22-07, 07:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Pie is mathmatical.
No, pie is mathematical
Old 06-22-07, 09:14 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
No, pie is mathematical
No, Pi is mathematical! I knew someone would take the bait!
Old 06-22-07, 09:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
No, Pi is mathematical! I knew someone would take the bait!
If the bait is pie, I will take it and mathematically cut it into 6 Pi_eces
Old 06-22-07, 09:21 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
I see, as usual, the thread has degenerated into a PI fight...
Old 06-22-07, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the most part I don’t like arbitrary classifications. I think it speaks to a part of human nature that frustrates me to no end – the need to place things into categories so as to simplify what it takes for us to understand it. I find this true of descriptions of political leanings, kinds of music, kinds of bicyclist, etc. You get the point. Often these kind of classifications end up being hierarchical in nature which allows those with elitist leanings to revel in their “superiority”. See here’s the thing, I’ll never be a professional rider, and I’m OK with that. At the same time, I have much in my life at which I do excel. I try to use my “gifts” as modestly as possible, and never want to have others feel less because of me. I really do rile at the need some people have to place themselves in the “one-up” position over others. End of rant…..
Old 06-22-07, 09:30 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a recreational cyclist -- it helps me re-create my childhood experience.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-22-07, 09:33 AM
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
If the bait is pie, I will take it and mathematically cut it into 6 Pi_eces
Old 06-22-07, 09:33 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my take.
Anyone who rides a bike is a cyclist.
Cyclists fall into two basic groups, recreational and transportational.
+1...I'm a year round commuter and run errands on my bikes, however consider my noon-time 1.5 hour ride and my weekend XC trail and road rides recreational

never thought a label was an issue
Old 06-22-07, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am helping two guys to get going with biking. In that process, labels were used and helpful but not in a sense of derogatory.
Guy #1
I want to bike and stop smoking. I want to go to/from work on a paved trail 25 miles in under 1.5 hours. I also want to bike with guys like my father and keep up.
Me
You want to be a Performance biker. You need a light weight road-bike, full biking equipment and learn such things as cadence, nutrition, hydration, proper posture, bike adjustments, bike maintenance.
Guy #2
I am pedaling around on a hybrid and I do not like being dropped by every biker I meet. I am a competitive person who ran marathons until my hip needed to be replaced. I now want to be a Competitive biker.
Me
I gave him the same advise as above.

I am finding these terms useful: Recreational, performance and competitive do summarize the intend of that biker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.