Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the dumbest thing you've done on your bike?

I am praying I won't be the only one who shares something... when this happened, I thought "Welp, I won't be sharing THAT at the forum!" Well, here goes...

Today I had to stop suddenly and, rather than squeezing brakes, I pressed both trigger shifters.... without pedaling!! Somehow I managed to get the chain back in line by starting to pedal and shift. What was I thinking???!!! Maybe it was another sign that it wasn't a good day for a bike ride (as my note suggested in the "Didn't Want to Ride Today?" post).

Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Master Control Program
    My Bikes
    Devinci
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One time I was getting bored so I:
    1)put my right hand on the left drop
    2)carefully put my left hand on the right drop
    3)lost complete control of the bike, swerved across 3 lanes into oncoming traffic, somehow managed to regain control, switched hands back, went home and changed shorts.

Is that stupid enough for you?

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you made it out alive!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle-clops
    One time I was getting bored so I:
    1)put my right hand on the left drop
    2)carefully put my left hand on the right drop
    3)lost complete control of the bike, swerved across 3 lanes into oncoming traffic, somehow managed to regain control, switched hands back, went home and changed shorts.

Is that stupid enough for you?
    Folks, I think we have a winner. I'm not even going to bother to enter now, you threadkiller you!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    Folks, I think we have a winner. I'm not even going to bother to enter now, you threadkiller you!

I know I'm feeling MUCH better!
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to stand on one side of the bike, one foot on the pedal, other foot aside it (legs must be crossed) I would stop then 'step off'. Trick was to not let bike lean too far to the other side. Usually OK if flat pedals, used to do it alot when yopunger on the Varsity. Tried it 2 years ago but too late I forgot clip-on shoes. Dang that Hurt!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Speed Bump
    My Bikes
    Surly Cross-Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh. Was going to the clinic for some lab tests today (50+ you know...). I just bought a bike last week after 15 years of non-riding. Had just moved my eggbeater cleats rearward on my shoes and was pleased that my knees no longer hurt and I was clipping in easier. I decided to take a shortcut through a church parking lot. There was a gate (closed) and a sidewalk with a pole in the middle of the sidewalk - probably to stop people blasting through on bikes. I was thinking about whether I could ride through without dismounting and while I cogitated on this question I slowed to a stop and realized - as I keeled over - that the time to extract a shoe was *before* stopping. Sigh. Minor scrape on the elbow and a double helping of humble pie.

On a motorcycle the dumbest thing I ever did (the cross-handed stunt above reminded me): I had a steering head bearing wobble so I had tightened the bearing. I had always found a good way to detect a slightly loose bearing was to ride no-handed so I was riding no-handed to make sure there was no wandering or wobble. None! Too bad I ran across two water-access coverplates in close proximity in the road surface, just enough surface irregularity to torque the front wheel and whomp me down to the pavement in nothing flat. Wheeeeee. One totalled BMW R75/6 (long frame) and two bruised ribs. So I guess falling over at 0 mph isn't so bad

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I was just out for a ride, dropped into a bike shop, and ended up buying a Specialized Roubaix!!

No wait, that wasn't me.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Once I was just out for a ride, dropped into a bike shop, and ended up buying a Specialized Roubaix!!

No wait, that wasn't me.
    And, it wasn't dumb!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bradl
    On a motorcycle the dumbest thing I ever did (the cross-handed stunt above reminded me): I had a steering head bearing wobble so I had tightened the bearing. I had always found a good way to detect a slightly loose bearing was to ride no-handed so I was riding no-handed to make sure there was no wandering or wobble. None! Too bad I ran across two water-access coverplates in close proximity in the road surface, just enough surface irregularity to torque the front wheel and whomp me down to the pavement in nothing flat. Wheeeeee. One totalled BMW R75/6 (long frame) and two bruised ribs. So I guess falling over at 0 mph isn't so bad
    Last weekend we saw a motorcyclist do a wheelie while moving about 50 mph in heavy traffic on a busy freeway. I'm sure that was the dumbest thing I've ever seen someone else do while driving their vehicle.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me randomly select one.

Last summer, Mr. Kool here pulled out of a Starbuck's near an intersection of two four lanes and zigzagged between some cars idling and waiting for the light. Going up the white line, I sensed the light about to change so slipped in between two cars in the left turn lane. Car behind me came forward suddenly, startled I jerked the bars to maneuver thereby entering a zone called toe clip overlap where, as I tried to straighten my front wheel, my foot&pedal got stuck between downtube and wheel. Longer to write than to happen. Went down still clipped in with half of me in the left turn lane and the other half in the next lane. Everything stopped while I unclipped, jumped up, straightened out, got flustered so missed the clip in, cars still idling, tried to get going before the left turn light changed, limped across the intersession with my heel on the pedal. All for a light coffee frap.

Mr. Kool here demonstrated the unique bike handling skills he's known for.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months back I was out riding MTB's with a few friends who have been racing for years. After some conversation I heard myself say "Sure, I'll try racing for a season. Sounds like fun."

Actually it has been fun, but not fun enough. Two more races and my racing career will be over.

I love to ride and sometimes to ride fast. But racing just is not my thing.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the late 80's, before I had matured and before I reached puberty, (I was only in my 40's) I drank the better part of a bottle of tequila and decided to take a ride about midnight. I was tooling around town on one of my usual rides and went down a hill and around a corner about 15 to 20 mph and hit a BIG pot hole-------the one I have known about for years. Cratered my front wheel. Obviously, the tire was toast. Luckily for me, the area was "Snob Hill"; therefore, I, somehow, was lucky enough to land in one of the rich inhabitants lush lawns after I had nearly destroyed the family jewels on the top tube, stem, rear tire or whatever. It might have been the rest of the bottle of tequila in my jersey.

Now, if that ain't stupid, what is???????????

BTW, when I grow up, I'll let all of you know what I want to do for an occupation for the rest of my life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way back in the past, as a very young teen I rode my Columbia Coaster Brake bike up our gravel driveway and into the garage at a high rate of speed, as my Dad sat in the garage watching me come in. My normal practice was to stand on the brake putting the bike into a nice long skid, and bring the bike thru a nice 90 degree left slide stopping gently against my fathers workbench at the back of the garage. Now at this point in my life bicycle maintainance consisted of fixing what was too broke to still work, so among other problems my loose, stretched chain had a habit of coming off the crank. Timing is everything here folks, and I'm here to tell you that the chain popped off just before I stood on that Coaster Brake. I fell upright directly onto the top-tube. This is where my father started laughing. My feet were dragging behind the peddals, I was sitting up on the top tube and the work bench was racing towards me. I hit it straight on, slid foreward on the top tube and came to a stop when I reached the stem. My father was laughing so hard that tears were streaming out of his eyes, too. The work bench survived, the bike was a tank, and I've fathered five children....so no harm done.

Every once in a while I still hear a quiet little chuckle when Dad walks by that old work bench.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-22-07 at 09:51 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500 Trek EX8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is breaking your leg while showing off for your boys dumb? I waited just a little too long to bail as I flipped over backwards while doing wheelies. I'm still not right..............if I ever was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While riding noticed my handlebar and front wheel were not in a completely straight alignment. I tried to line them up while still moving. Can you say, “Ooops!”
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to turn left at the upcoming traffic light, but there were two faster roadies coming up behind me. When the reached my rear, instead of passing they slowed down. So I looked back and signaled with my left hand for them to pass. I didn't notice that my right hand was pulling the bars and I was veering to the right. I caught it just in time for the front wheel to slip into the crack between the asphalt paving and the cement paving. When I tried to correct, the bars and front wheel went completely to the left and I went down in a heap. My shoulder still hurts.
    Naturally, the two roadies behind me were OCP types.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a youngster I thought I'd start a bike circus so one night I was out practicing. I was riding shirtless, and decided it would be real cool to stand up on my seat and ride no handed. For all of about twelve seconds, it was perfect.

Then I did a belly slam onto the side of the road, which had lots of loose gravel on the asphalt. I think that qualifies as a dumb thing!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This doesn't involve physical pain, but it does involve embarrassement:

I was rehabbing a very old 100-lb dog by letting him walk as far as he could, then putting him in a trailer behind the cruiser I used for the past few years. He used to love to stand up, get his face in the wind and bark. It was safe, he was leashed in and I went very slow.

It was summer, and we took a ride through the local campus of a very* straight-laced prestigious religious college. At the end of the route was a hill, and it was always a challenge to get up it with the heavy barking giant orange furball dog in the cart.

So I'm standing up, sweating and the dog is barking, having a great time. We're almost to the top, turning a corner and I hear this *blah blah blah* like a radio.

We turn the bend and there is about 300 future college students and parents, listening to an orientation speech. The entire crowd goes silent as we go slowly, slowly by them. Dog is still barking. They're all looking at me, and that 300 feet felt like it took forever. All I could think was, "Please* don't let me have to get off the bike and walk."

We finally passed them, and I hear the loudspeaker say, "We have all kinds here..." and the entire crowd bursts out in laughter.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    As a youngster I thought I'd start a bike circus so one night I was out practicing. I was riding shirtless, and decided it would be real cool to stand up on my seat and ride no handed.
    I'm willing to bet $20 that you could do this now on your new bike!

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a teenager trying the right hand on the left handlebar and left hand on right bar. Instant crash.
    This space open

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, let's see... as a kid, I tried the cross-handed steering maneuver. Check.
    Then there was the toe-in-the-spoke trick. With predictable results.
    Oh yeah... the full sided body slam into a phone pole.

But as an adult? I don't know... there have been more than a few occasions I've forgetten I'm 54.
    Anything I do under those conditions qualifies as "stupid"
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I'm willing to bet $20 that you could do this now on your new bike!
    Nice try. I think I'll pass!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $40

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)