Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-23-07, 05:08 PM   #1
Velo Dog

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Somebody come by my house & slap me...

...next time I take four (oh, all right, five) weeks off the bike. I was getting into pretty good shape in May, but a combination of work stuff, a neglected house and yard and laziness kept me off for more than a month. I went out today with my son, him on his mountain bike and me on my high-zoot roadie. He's pretty fit, but not a cyclist, and I can generally stay with him despite the difference in our ages. Today we stooged around for 15 miles or so, and i was feeling OK, and then he said, "Dad, I've got some stuff to do--if you're all right, I'm going to take off."
If I'm ALL RIGHT? Punk, I was riding this hill before you were born.
"No...gasp, pant, heave," I said. "That's fine, I'm good." And then he DID take off, over the top and out of sight down the half-mile straight before I got to the summit, and when I got home I sat down to change clothes and fell asleep for an hour.
I used to snap back from a layoff like that in two or three days. Now I'm hoping to be walking again by Fourth of July.
Velo Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 05:34 PM   #2
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Before you know it you'll be the one leaving him wondering what that rocket was taking off ahead of him.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 06:42 PM   #3
Camilo

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
... when I got home I ... fell asleep for an hour.
This is an indication of the wisdom that only comes with age. Naps are just one of the many benefits of vigorous exercise.
Camilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 06:57 PM   #4
Japat

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper | Giant OCR | Trek 4500 WSD
I did the "must work in yard" and now I'm paying for it trying to get back on my bike again to ride like I used to..........I tried to keep up with my friend when we went for a ride today and it wasn't easy. But, I can mow my lawn faster now.
Japat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 07:14 PM   #5
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo
This is an indication of the wisdom that only comes with age. Naps are just one of the many benefits of vigorous exercise.
+1. Naps are the best!
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 08:25 PM   #6
Baroque
Life in the Slow Lane

Bikes: Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
I'm so happy to know I'm not the only one who needed a nap today.
Tried to keep up with the better half today, first 'real' ride in awhile, and still a couple weeks to go before the ligaments in the foot will be healed. Well, the first 15-20 minutes went so well, we decided to go a little farther...one thing led to another, took a couple new roads, and before we knew it we'd done 10-12 miles with some serious (for me with the gimpy flipper at least) uphill work. When we got back, I collapsed on the bed just to 'rest my eyes' and didn't wake up for 2 hours! Still love the new bike but either my seat or the bike's seat has to adjust
Now, I'm new to this forum, but 2 things I can get on board with immediately are naps and pie.
Ally
Baroque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-07, 08:37 PM   #7
Terrierman

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
I did 35 today and had a napsie too. A loud snorey one. And about riding with Son Chris. When he rides with me, it's because he's feeling generous and wants the company. He can ride circles around me, and he should be able to, he's 30 and in the best shape of his life for cryin out loud. I can honestly say I'm happy about it and he is too.
Old 06-24-07, 12:45 AM   #8
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Naps?

People around here take naps?

It has been years since I took a nap.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 12:45 AM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I go out with another rider- Who is obviously not down to the standard That I prefer to ride with- I get him out on the Tandem. Always a few problems on nervous riders till they realise what can be done on the thing- But at leastI never get left- And on top of that- As they are carrying an elder rider- they feel that they have to put more effort in- Poor Fools. We get back and they are in awe of what a Tandem can do- have a buzz that they want to go out again (Unless I took them offroad and then they normally get off at the bottom of the first downhill)- and they are in awe at the stamina of this old bloke that could go for quite a few miles more.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 02:56 PM   #10
tpelle

Bikes:
Last weekend we took a three day vacation trip to Gatlinburg, TN. Before then I had been riding regularly every day. I didn't ride last Thursday because we were packing. I didn't ride Friday, Saturday, or Sunday because we were out of town. Monday morning I went to the dentist and had a molar pulled, so I had orders to take it easy for a couple of days. I didn't get back on the bike until Wednesday. Boy, could I feel the difference.

The good news is that I came back pretty quickly, and today I conquered a hill on my old Ross 10-speed that I previously always had to push the bike up.
tpelle is offline   Reply With Quote