Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rechargable Batteries...........

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been threatening to buy rechargeable batteries for quite a while but now my clicker is dying and there are no batteries in the apartment, sooooooooo what should I buy?

There are several box stores in the area so I probably have a wide range to choose from.

What does this have to do with bikes? Well, there are batteries in the light on my commuter, so technically there are batteries in the house, just not ones I should use.

Oh, crap, they're AA's, not AAA's. Guess I'll have to learn to change channels tonight.
Old 06-23-07, 08:47 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The wife and I have only recently ventured into the world of Digital Photography and
we were very disappointed with the cycle life of rechargeable NiMo batteries. We then
discovered Rayovac Hybrids (NiMh). They are fantastic. You can pop them into a
charger whenever you feel like it...no charge memory problems. They last like forever,
and if you charge some up ahead of time, they hold that full charge for several months in
storage. They come out of the package ready to shine.

We found ours at Circuit City. They're all we use now.
Old 06-23-07, 10:21 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
It is a TV remote, they can operate at very low battery voltage. Find old batteries that you thought were dead because they did not run your light and put them in the remote. They will last a year in the remote.

I have a bag full of old flashlight batteries in ready for my remotes.
Old 06-23-07, 11:19 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you need a non-trivial quantity (or charger) look at:
https://www.batteryspace.com/
Old 06-24-07, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rechargeable batteries are a lot cheaper in the long run. I use them in my GPS's and radios, and camera strobe. Make sure you get one of the fast chargers or else you cold be looking at as much as 14 hours to put a charge on your batteries. I picked up a Duracell 15 minute charger with 6 NiMH batteries (4AA, 2AAA) for $30 at a wharehouse store. One caveatt if using them for your headlight. Alkaline batteries have a nice rundown curve (as well as put out 1.5 volts each) so your light will start off brighter and dim down as the batteries die. The rechargeables are only 1.2v, but stay constant longer, then suddenly just die.
Old 06-24-07, 09:02 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I bought my two teenage sons rechargable batteries, then told them if they lost them, they pay for any replacement batteries rechargable or not. So far I'm saving so much money, I think I'll buy a new bike with extra $$$!
Old 06-24-07, 10:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use both. No question that you save money with rechargeables. However, I've noticed an inconsistency in the physical size of some of the rechargeable batteries from Empire. I have a pair that will somehow shift position slightly when installed in my GPS, and it turns off. You can feel the lack of tightness when you install them into the GPS or try to install them into the charger that came with them (I have to wrap a rubber band around them to keep them in the charger.

GPS works fine with alkaline batteries. FWIW, the Garmin Etrex CS seem to run forever on a set of either type.

Caruso
Old 06-24-07, 11:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CB Hi,

My remote is a 'Home Theatre Master MX-500' and may need a little more oomph, since I have tried what you suggested but found it didn't work for me.

Thanks folks. I'm off to BB to see what they have.