Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walkie-talkies for cyclist?

Hubby and I are wondering if there is a modern-day walkie-talkie kind of thingie that would enable us to communicate while we are out riding together, something that wouldn't require a lot of fiddling to use (unlike a cell phone which I wouldn't even dream of using while riding my bike! ) In the city, I occasionally fall behind and have to stop at a red light while he is a few blocks ahead unaware I'm not right behind him.

Is there an ear piece or something that can do this? I bet there is and I just haven't heard about it yet...
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not check the Tandem Forum. It seems to me that I read of a headset that worked well for Tandem Teams....don't know about range, cost or availability though. Seems if anyone would know, they'ld be the folks.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use the FRS (family radio service) stuff a lot. The motorola, uniden, some others have ear pieces that also have microphones. They can be set to voice activated but wind or other ambient noise might key them up when not intended. I used to clip a receiver to each kid's handlebars. When they got too far ahead (I was pulling a burley) I would key up and shout, "tighten up." They would also call back ocasionally and ask for directions.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our longer rides I use a standard Walkie Talkie to communivate with the back up car or the front one on a group ride has one radio and the last rider has the other. We use it just as a radio that has to be put to the mouth but an earpiece is available and if kept in a handy pocket we would just have to push a button for 20 seconds of hand free communication. This is an old set though and is no longer made but I feel certain there must be a basic unit commercially available to do the job you want.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought some and have never used them.

But I see folks who have them set up, especially for tandems, with the earpiece and all.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get small one ear microphone/speaker sets for FRS and GMRS walkie-talkies. FRS units are good for about a mile or so of real world range. The package will tell you they have much longer range but that’s when all units are used without obstructions between them like trees and buildings. GMRS units have longer ranges with higher power output but your supposed to obtain a license from the FCC before you use them. For your situation a set of FRS walkie-talkies would be ideal. Just make sure to purchased your microphone/speaker sets for your FRS walkie-talkies at the same time and make sure they work properly together. Different FRS walkie-talkies use different microphone/speaker sets, as there are no standards agreed upon between manufactures of transceivers and microphone/speaker sets. In fact most manufactures will intentionally design there microphone/speaker sets to only work with there specific make and model of walkie-talkies forcing consumers to purchase a new microphone/speaker sets for new walkie-talkies when upgrade or replacement is required.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check with you local motorcycle shop. There was(is?) a system made for passenger and driver to communicate, with helmets on. Don't know the range or much more about it, but if the range is there, don't see why it couldn't be adapted to bicycles.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger
    You might want to check with you local motorcycle shop. There was(is?) a system made for passenger and driver to communicate, with helmets on. Don't know the range or much more about it, but if the range is there, don't see why it couldn't be adapted to bicycles.
    Most of those driver-passenger motorcycle COM sets use flexible tubing to provide audio between the driver and passenger so there are no electronics involved. The headsets used on commercial flights are the same technology. They would work for two people on a Tandem bike but not for two people on separate bikes.