Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you had a 50+ "bike progression?" Please choose the BEST answer.

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I started with and still use a "comfort bike"

0 0%
  • I started with a "comfort bike" then a hybrid/mountain bike

3 4.11%
  • I started with a "comfort bike" then a hybrid/mountain bike and then a roadie

6 8.22%
  • I started with a hybrid/mountain bike and that is what I ride now.

3 4.11%
  • I started with a hybrid/mountain bike and then bought a roadie.

31 42.47%
  • started with a hybrid/mountain bike/comfort bike and then bought a roadie and then a recumbent.

1 1.37%
  • I started with a road bike and that is what I have know

18 24.66%
  • I started with a road bike, but then moved to a hybrid/mountain bike/comfort bike.

0 0%
  • Some other progression, please explain below

11 15.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have You Had a "Bike Progression?"

Have You Had a "Bike Progression?"

I have seen many folks on the 50+ forum start as a beginner or returning bicyclist with one kind of bike, then eventually move to other types of bikes.

So, I wonder how many of you, over the years, have had some sort of "bike progression"

There are so many potentially different bike progressions that it is difficult to list them all. I have chosen what seem to me to be the common ones, but please add your own if nothing matches.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-24-07 at 05:12 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many diffrent bikes, but I did so similiar to my early years, that being experimentaion. I'd try a touring, cross, hyvbrid, etc. But I kept coming back to my Road Bike.

I did however, progress with technoloy. i.e new frame materials, brifters, TT bikes, and tire tubes.I still have my old school Varsity, but don't ride it much.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started with a cheap s/h Mountain "type" bike but soon realised that A Real Mountain bike was required. This led to a cheap Actual MTB but each year the standard was progressed upwards till I finished up with a custom built frame and High enough quality parts fitted to it to say I had a top end MTB. Then the prices started dropping and in 2001 Got the Bianchi- This was a factory Mistake and was a top end frame with the "Wrong" Quality parts fitted to it. It came cheap but Everything except the frame has been upgraded to "What Is Required". Then came the Tandem and once again started with a top quality frame with "Bits" bolted to it. This has been upgraded and I doubt as to whether there are many Hardtail Tandems about that will take the punishment and handle as good as this one does.

Then last year I started on Road bikes- Theses things are completely different riding style and I decided to start cheap. Got A Giant OCR3 (SCR 3.0 in the UK) And this gave me an insight into what Tarmac riding is about.

It took a year for me to realise that a cheap road bike has faults and new quality wheels improved the ride so much that The next bike is on order NOW. Starting from frame upwards and and it will be ready in about 6 weeks.

Road riding is different- but I will not give up the Offraod for a good few years to come
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a hybrid and switched to a road bike when I found it hard to keep up with the grandkids
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    recumbent & upright
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    received my first bike in 1959, as a birthday present from my folks.
    it looked a lot like today's "retro cruiser", rode it for a number of years.
    have been riding various bikes since then, in the early 80s got one of those
    new-fangled mountain bikes, now i ride a recumbent and cross bike.
    don't think of this as a "progression" of bikes, just different bikes at
    different times; variety is a good spice.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started off with a single-speed, fendered cruiser?, Western Auto, tank when I was a kid. Then bought a used 3-spd (S/A) "english racer" which I repainted, repacked bearings, put on new pads, cables, etc. (was about 12-13 when I did this). Got out of the bike thing for a while. Around 25, bought a Motobecane road bike, thought I'd ride it, but hardly ever did. Rode motorcycles for a long time. At 36, bought a used Scott hybrid, exage components and bio-pace rings. My bro-in-law now has it. At 45 bought a GT Timerline mtn.bike. Cracked the frame, replaced by GT with a new frame, still have the Timberline, all components have been updated. On 11/06, got my Lemond Reno road bike. Donna has been thru a similar progression, though she didn't start riding until 1988, and no mtn.biking until 1998 or so. She still outdoes me on rock gardens!!

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road bike always. The only progression here is the cost of the bike.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my case it is not a progression as much as a need for different bikes.
    Hybrid is best suited for limestone Rails to Trails.
    Roadbike is needed for fast cross country touring and training on paved trails and park roads.
    Tandem is needed to go with the wife.

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with a Schwinn Typhoon (what, you don't mean to go back to age 8?), then bought a sleek, hard to maintain, Italian 10 speed in 1970 (anyone else ever own an Olmo?), moved to a hybrid in '93 - great for towing kids on gravel trails. Finally bought the road bike I always wanted last year, and love it!

Next up will probably be a tandem to get my wife riding with me. The only question will be upright or recumbent.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My progression was similiar to Stapfam, but not with the rigor that he attacks the mountains.
    I started with an old MTB, upgraded it, then purchased a new MTB, followed by a roadie, followed by a really nice, dually MTB.
    Will I follow-up with a new roadie? Dunno, I'm looking at a Giant OCR3 C now but I'm undecided.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roadie and still a roadie, that is if you discount childhood cycles. Started with a Nishiki 10sp, adopted my wife's unused 12 sp Moto. When that got wrecked (side-swiped by the end of a semi) got a Fuji Finest steel (sora shifters) and now riding a Fuji Roubaix Pro with a 105 gruppo. May someday get a comfort/mountain depending on where retirement takes us and the roads/trails available for riding.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started with a next to the bottom of the line Trek mountain bike, then went to slicks on the mtb, then bought a used hybrid which was billed as a flat bar road bike which I still have (the Cypress), then got an older Trek road bike ('89 1500) which was a blast but too small, and finally got Ruby Roubaix, aka the World's Finest Road Bike.

Also, somewhere in the middle, got two beach cruisers and a 80's Univega road bike which I had the fine folks at Adams Avenue Cycles convert to a single speed, but I flipped that bike (sold it).
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always had a bike of somekind. I rode a Schwinn Varsity 10 spd from 1972 to 1996 (I bought it used) when I bought my first new bike. I went with a Giant ATX MTB, thinking that I could ride it on or off road. Then, in about 2001 I had a chance to get a Bianchi Eros road bike at a very good price (sight unseen). In 2005, I went Giant OCR2 CF. My MTB sees little action these days. Two rides total, if I don't count the little 3 milers downtown.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I started with a Mountain Bike, then rebuilt the thing. Then Built a new one. Then bought a road bike. Then rebuilt the Road Bike. Then I really go serious and built a full suspension Mountain Bike and a Cyclocross Bike. Scrapped both.

Then I built my present Mountain Bike which is much more fast flat dirt capable than single track
    Then I built and rebuilt by current Road Bike.

In between these I built for friends and customers 4 Road Bikes, 7 Mountain Bikes and 2 Cyclocross bikes.

If I spent more time riding than building I'd be faster and younger.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    My progression was similiar to Stapfam, but not with the rigor that he attacks the mountains.
    I started with an old MTB, upgraded it, then purchased a new MTB, followed by a roadie, followed by a really nice, dually MTB.
    Will I follow-up with a new roadie? Dunno, I'm looking at a Giant OCR3 C now but I'm undecided.
    I was not convinced that a Road bike was for me so just got a cheap one. It was fine until I realised that the quality of something on the bike was holding me back. It was the wheels and once I got a respectable set, Road biking became good.

Now as to which form Of biking I prefer- I cannot currently say. Road biking is OK- or better than OK but Offroading is Fantastic. Problem is that my body will shortly be crying enough of doing those offroad Enduros that I still enjoy so much. In the meantime- I will be offroading tilll I no longer can- and doing the road biking to have a sense of achievement------ EASIER.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started with a single speed (in 1962 I think) - went to some awful thing with a banana seat - then a 26" three speed for delivery papers, then a fuji ten speed (wish I still had it) - skip at least 20 years. Won a MTB - no suspension. Snagged a 10 speed from a garage sale (fast bike!), bought a F900 Cannondale hardtail and then a Tandem.

On the horizon perhaps? Another hardtail and either a bent or a road bike.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a Raleigh road bike as my first "serious" bike in my youth. Then, on my recent re-entry into biking after many years the progression was: hybrid -> road bike -> fixed gear conversion. The most common progression (except for the fixie) as the voting stands now. And really the fixie is, to me, just a stripped down road bike.

Sold the hybrid last month after admitting to myself I've only ridden it once since getting the OCR; now split my riding pretty evenly between the road & fixed bikes.

Maybe later in life I'll look into that Couchbike.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own 4 bikes - one mountain bike, one 1980s city bike, one hybrid, and one recumbent, and ride each of them at least once every two weeks.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started with a Mountain bike, and after the last time I got hit by a car, was forced to ride a recumbent. I think I might have changed to the bent earlier, but the cost was a factor. Now the wife and I both ride bents.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I studied and knew exactly what kind of riding i liked. I felt comfortable in the drops and liked weekend rides. After that I found I liked touring and commuting. So besides roadbikes, I graduated to touring bikes used both for commuting and touring.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a kid there was the single speed coaster brake bike, then the Spider (Stingray clone), English Racer, a couple of ten speed road bikes, then several road and offroad motorcycles.

In '90 I got an OK MTB, Giant Iguana. Soon put slicks on it and mostly rode it on roads. Bought a road bike in '91, a Cannondale with RX100, and put knobbies back on the Iguana and learned to ride offroad. In '92 I wanted a less brutally stiff road bike. Sold the aluminum C'dale and bought a Bridgestone RB-1. That bike is still my main bike and the love of my life. It has been upgraded but not modernized over the years. In '94 I got a better MTB, a Cannondale with front suspension added. Also in '95 I bought an old road tandem to take my 10 y/o son with me on long rides. Stuck with those bikes for several years. Gradually lost interest in MTBiking and converted the C'dale into a hybrid. Got a new road tandem in '04 to ride with my wife and 9 y/o son. Converted the C'dale back to a MTB in '05. Made a drop bar hybrid from an old steel Giant MTB. Got a better frame, a lugged Trek and swapped many parts from the Giant (which went back to original format and was sold) and made it a mustache bar hybrid. Turned the C'dale back into a hybrid and sold it to a club member who commutes on it and rides it on gentle offroad trails. Rebuilt the Trek in '06 as a rigid MTB which really got me interested in MTBing again. Bought an old Fuji 12 speed to use as a beater road bike/commuter (but wound up fixing it up pretty nice). Bought an '06 Rockhopper and tried MTB racing. I'm currently making the Trek into a hybrid again. Thinking of giving the Fuji to my older son for his 22nd birthday next month. Scheming to buy a touring bike using my racing team discount at my LBS. Current front runner is a Surly Long Haul Trucker. More to come I'm sure.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have to actually own the bike to claim a progression?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is N+1 ok for a progression or do you have to do like 1, 2, 4, 8.........

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Do you have to actually own the bike to claim a progression?
    There is always someone who has to know and play by the rules. No rules, make up your own.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started on a used 10-speed w/friction shifters. When my daughter was born. I went to something more "family friendly", a hybrid. Good for hauling the bike trailer, then the tag-along, a good commuter bike, but somewhat lacking in FUN. I still have the hybrid, bt now I also have a real road bike again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast