Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Another Setback

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Setback

Well it happened again last Sunday......the dreaded burning in my chest. I went out for a little Sunday morning ride and had the same problem I had last May. If you guys remember I had stents placed last year for 2 blockages. I thought that was it, but this spring I was struggling again and they found another blockage off one of the originals and fixed this one too. The first order from the Doc, NO CYCLING for at least 3 weeks, until they assess me further. Is this the end of the ride for me??? It's tough to stay optimistic when you keep getting beat back. Have any of you guys/gals gone on after heart/blockage treatment and successfully continued riding?? I used to be full of piss & vinegar out there, but even when I get the OK (hopefully) to start back up I'll definitely be apprehensive.

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooops

Used the wrong login for the above thread.
    2010 Felt F75

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm truly sorry about your setback.

My dad (age 87) has a stent and tho' he isn't a cyclist he is active and tries to exercise every day. He completed a 3.2 mile charity walk with us in May and the only trouble he had was his knees. Now, obviously his intensity and activity level aren't at your level but his stent implant was done about 10 or so years ago and things seem to be OK.

I hope you'll be back on your bike very soon without any problems. Try to not let yourself get too down about it, it won't help your physical condition. I know... I can feel myself go into a physical slump very quickly if I let my mind go down first.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know a person who has two stents and he is a frequent rider, usually doing around 100 miles a week. His doctor was very supportive of his cycling.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang In There - Good Luck!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friend of mine in CA got a stent, felt a little better afterward but never 100%, and about 1 1/2 - 2 years later ended up with a bypass instead. After that she felt like gangbusters! Took up all kinds of exercise, lost a lot of weight, ended up starting a whole new life full of activity. Stents have their pros and cons. (Just Google). You may want to get a second opinion about trying a different approach. Sending good thoughts your way, and God bless!

- Ally
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai

My Bikes
    road and mtn.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry to hear about the setback. i guess it depends on other factors as well. I kid you not but i have had about 7 - 8 stents over the last 12 years. the last being in 2001 (3 blockages). i believe those blockages were a carry over from my smoking days (quit in 1997). after the 2001 episode, i have had no problems and have done regular 20+ mile rides. Dr. says keep it up. i got a little lazy this past year but i am picking it up again. different things effect different people differently (huh?). if i eat healthy types foods (most of the time) and do a little exercise, i feel great, if not, then feel like sh|t.
    good luck with whatever course you take. definitely want to get that taken care of.

gw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow the Doc's advise. I have a frame in the garage that a guy died on while riding. DOA before he hit the ground, heart attack. Every time I go to build up that thing, I get the willies.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque
    Friend of mine in CA got a stent, felt a little better afterward but never 100%, and about 1 1/2 - 2 years later ended up with a bypass instead. After that she felt like gangbusters! Took up all kinds of exercise, lost a lot of weight, ended up starting a whole new life full of activity. Stents have their pros and cons. (Just Google). You may want to get a second opinion about trying a different approach. Sending good thoughts your way, and God bless!

- Ally
    Wow, that's amazing, and very inspirational. Good for her. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baroque

- Ally

Never had a stent but triple bypass instead. I know a few with stents and one of them had a double bypass 2 years later. The stents just did not work for him.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan