Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Saddles -- What's with this Brooks Model?

No maatter which forum I read, there's a post about Brooks. Love it, hate it, giving it __ many rides to get broken in.

What is it about this saddle that so many would put up with so much discomfort for so long? If it's that great, why don't more cyclists use it?

I know nothing about it except that none of our bikes have one, and no one we know has recommended one. Just sayin'.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a cult. Be careful. Be very, very careful.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might need an intervention

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider
    (1)What is it about this saddle that so many would put up with so much discomfort for so long?
    (2)If it's that great, why don't more cyclists use it?
    (3)I know nothing about it except that none of our bikes have one, and no one we know has recommended one. Just sayin'.
    1- I wouldn't. Mine was comfortable from the first ride and gradually got better.
    2- Lance didn't ride one? Too heavy? PETA might get you?
    3- Maybe you're hanging with the wrong crowd.

They aren't for everyone. I was skeptical at first, but it is by far the most comfortable of the many saddles I've used. That's all the reason I need.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    1- I wouldn't. Mine was comfortable from the first ride and gradually got better.
    2- Lance didn't ride one? Too heavy? PETA might get you?
    3- Maybe you're hanging with the wrong crowd.

They aren't for everyone. I was skeptical at first, but it is by far the most comfortable of the many saddles I've used. That's all the reason I need.
    1.) Really? Did you perform some ritualistic preparation before seating yourself upon it?

2.) It's leather?

3.) Ummm...I'm in the 50+ crowd. I qualify. No one else I know uses a Brooks. You might be on to something.

What makes it such a great saddle? The leather? The chamois in your shorts? Something I'm missing?

Sure, I have a warped sense of humor, but seriously...what's the attraction of this saddle?
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have one myself.

They get great ratings on all of the on-line review boards from their owners. So what can one say but that a very high percentage of those who buy them, like them - a lot!

They do weigh much more than a typical roadie saddle, even the ones with titanium rails.

Most LBSs in my neck of the woods sell them.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No rituals, just ride it.
    Being the most comfortable saddle I've tried isn't enough attraction?
    It works for me. It does for many people. For many other people it doesn't work.

My Bikes
    (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No maatter which forum I read, there's a post about Brooks. Love it, hate it, giving it __ many rides to get broken in.

What is it about this saddle that so many would put up with so much discomfort for so long? If it's that great, why don't more cyclists use it?

I know nothing about it except that none of our bikes have one, and no one we know has recommended one. Just sayin'.
    Well ain't that the truth!

- Wil
    "" - Marcel Marceau

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Davis
    Well ain't that the truth!

- Wil
    Exactly why I posted my questions. You got a problem with that?

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is it that you want to know? You seem to be looking for something beyond the simple facts. They are well designed, well made saddles that have been around for a long time and that many people find to be very comfortable. Much of the mystery about Brooks saddles seems to be perpetuated by people who have never tried one.

If you are really curious, why not buy one and ride it for a few months? You may love it, you may hate it, you may be indifferent. But at least you'll know.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One positive is that if you hate it, there is no problem in selling one on eBay. People always seem to get a fair price for them.

My Bikes
    Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got around 1400 miles on mine. It took some getting used to.; ~400 miles. The break in period was not torture. It's as comfortable as the best of the other saddles I've owned, but not appreciably more so. It's not a recliner, it's bike saddle. It looks nice.

Speedo

My Bikes
    Felt 70, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A. Even when breaking in , the brooks was as comfortable as any old saddle I tried.
    B. I just finished a 60 miler yesterday and absolutely felt like I was riding on air.
    C. I am not a Brooks cult member..............I've tried 5 different saddles..........none seemed to fit the bill
    D. I resisted Brooks because I simply couldn't believe all these testimonials on how great the saddle was
    E. Now look at me!
    F. LBS had me soak saddle in h20 for an hour or so, add the oil on the underside and go for a spin.
    G. I haven't thought about soreness since.
    New Knee, New Wife, New Life

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RedRider,
    BluesDawg has summed it up pretty succinctly, but, because I'm a natural bloviate, I'll add something:

All-Leather saddles are an extension of centuries-proven design using hide blank. The premise is that leather, being a natural material, has qualities that transcend technological 'improvements'. Modern ultra lightweight bike products are great innovations, but alot of the disdain for old school stuff is just that - disdain. Not well thought out, either. If a rider is very weight sensitive - there's a good chance he/she is also very market driven. They gotcha!

Saddle makers have known for a thousand years that hide leather is the best material for long hours spent in the slot. There is virtually no surviving working saddle in extant since Napoleanonic times that is not smooth leather. Many before that where wood, but leather covered.

Leather forms to the body, it absorbs sweat by natural wicking action, thus giving the rider far superior long range comfort. Leather lasts a very long time. It's extremely tough against abrasions.

Those of us who use Brooks saddles do so after a long and studied search, usually by trial and error. Weight be damned - most of us can lose alot more off our butts that the extra few ounces of leather under them.

Late US Cavalry working leather from the Civil War:
    http://i7.tinypic.com/63kiw5s.jpg
    http://i19.tinypic.com/541qq0g.jpg

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what of the age old question ... springs or no springs???

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah, a little more:
    Three weeks ago I rode the Wenatchee Rotary Apple Century on my Sequoia Elite with a Brooks B17 saddle. At the half-way food stop, with about 100 other riders there, I had the only Brooks that I observed. There might have been more, but I didn't see them.

Yes, there were people walking past the bike looking at the saddle like it was from Mars. Without exception, they were fully kitted-out riders on very light bikes. I heard some of them saying how they were ready for the stop, in order to get off the saddle

I was totally comfortable all the way until the last 10 miles, when I could feel my ischials beginning to complain. Not about the leather - but because the 17 is just a tad too narrow for my sitbones, that's all. But it's ok because I normally don't go 100 miles in 6 hours. A nice long ride for me is closer to 75.

http://i11.tinypic.com/4vs67f4.jpg

Shoulda brought my B67. Folks would have fainted dead away...

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    But what of the age old question ... springs or no springs???
    Yes... The Age Old Question. Very subjective extension. I like both. Depends on which bike I ride on any given day. Here are two very different mounts:

1998 Trek 520:
    http://i13.tinypic.com/4zndxxg.jpg

1992? Trek 930 - roadified. This one also gets full Ford fenders in winter
    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fifc4o.jpg

tcs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Brooks I ride on a regular basis was comfortable from day one. Day one was in 1982.

TCS

PS: Brooks has only been making bicycle saddles since 1870. I expect the whole leather saddle fad to die out before too long.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

"Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    Yes... The Age Old Question. Very subjective extension. I like both. Depends on which bike I ride on any given day. Here are two very different mounts:

1998 Trek 520:
    http://i13.tinypic.com/4zndxxg.jpg

1992? Trek 930 - roadified. This one also gets full Ford fenders in winter
    http://i9.tinypic.com/6fifc4o.jpg
    Generally, a more upright sitting position, like on a hybrid, puts more weight on the saddle and a sprung saddle is more appropriate. A more forward road bike position balances your weight between the butt, legs and hands and the springs would not really make much difference.

My Trek 970 will be reborn soon and will feature a Flyer. My RB-1 has a B17.

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF6fkCGpFJg

With lots of leather too.

jcm had it all, Brooks saddles are durable, comfortable, and finally on my tourer again.

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been toying with the idea of getting a B-17 for the Reno since I bought the bike.
    I still am. My old '78 steel-framed Gitane had an Avocet saddle that I bought for it. If memory serves, there is no way that a B-17 could be harder on the butt out of the gate than that Avocet was.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't there a place where you could order a Brooks and return it if it didn't work out?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Wasn't there a place where you could order a Brooks and return it if it didn't work out?
    Oh definitely... it's... it's... ummmm... Well, they have a 6 month, unconditional return policy.
    Wallingford? Oh nuts....
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something about leather and rivets.
    Don't be fooled. It's a guy thing.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the all leather Selle AnAtomic, it's like a Brooks. My wife uses a Brooks Finesse and I put a B67 on my sister's bike. We all like our saddles very much.
    It took a LONG time to get everybody happy, but it was worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast