User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt 70, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recovery Time After Hard Ride

I'm becoming a bit frustrated, I find that after a really hard ride........could be distance, elevation, intensity or any combination, after 2 or 3 great rides, the energy level just falls off and I need a day or two off the bike to recover. I've changed some eating habits which are helping a bit.........I think........but I'm just curious............especially if you're over 60.........do you have the same energy issues and any recommendations to keep the energy level higher. One odd note, my heart montior would suggest the ticker is in great shape...........I'll drop from a high of 157 right down to under 100 in just over 3 minutes after any kind of exertion. It's the next day syndrome that I'm asking about.
    New Knee, New Wife, New Life

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your energy level low for the entire ride the next day, or just the warm up period?

I find that I take 20 or 25 miles to feel better after two or three hard days. I will start out with legs that feel like lead, not able to increase my heart rate, and not willing or able to follow riding partners. After an hour or so in the saddle, I feel much better and my heart rate will again approach max on longer hills or chase efforts.

20 or 25 years ago it wasn't a problem. Everyday felt great as long as I rested the previous evening.

Approaching the city limits of 61 this year.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's important to analyze the reason you feel that way. Any truely hard training causes minute damage to muscle tissue. The tissue has small tears that take 24-48 hours to heal. Then they do heal, that area becomes stronger than before; thus the improvement from training. Another cause can be deyrdation or nutrician. Or you could just be experiencing general fatigue or the onset of overtaining. if your don't allow some rest
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be overtraining, but I think it's a good course to watch your diet. I know that after especially hard days, what I eat in the first hour or two after the ride has a tremendous impact on my recovery. If your diet changes are in line with good recovery principles, it is likely something else. With that said, keep in mind that recovery time does get longer as we age. However, I'd talk with my physician if it continues.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm over 60 & have some of the same issues. I went to a certified clinical nutritionist and he helped the diet issues tremendously. Along with adjusting the calories in accordance to exertion, he put me on certain vitamins, aminos etc. that also greatly helped. However, having said all that, sometimes I get tired after hard rides and just flat need to rest. I really try to listen to what my body is telling me. I know this doesn't help much, but we are all different and what works for one might not be acceptable for another body type. About all we really have in common, physically, is that we are over 50 and bike.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A rest day IS a training day - and after a hard ride I need 2 days. I need to keep reminding myself of that. A slow 'HRmax of 80%' short ride (30-45 minutes) as one of 'these 2 days' also helps me.

Eat something Good, within 20 minutes of finishing (NOT TOO MUCH) followed later by protein helps recovery for me.

Good comments on the HR monitor, that's good numbers you have.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 64 and that is one of the big differences from when I was a 35 year old marathoner. Then 1 recovery day was enough, now sometimes it takes 2 to recover from real hard efforts. OLD AGE SUCKS!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nutrition is very important when it comes to cycling. If you don't already have it, take a look at "Cycling Past 50" by Joe Friel. There's good information on fueling for cycling. This site also has information -
    http://www.cptips.com/nutrtn.htm#pracpnt

I'm 64 and ride 5 days a week for a minimum of 125 miles. Special rides on weekends often add a few miles to this total. I really notice the difference if I don't eat correctly. I also make sure a couple of these rides are done at a slow pace to aid recovery.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfast
    OLD AGE SUCKS!
    Hey, it's better than the alternative!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This month's Bicycling has a brief note on an acid buffering supplement that may be helpful to older riders. Only an anecdotal observation (a 75 yr. old friend who said it was best supplement he's ever taken), but clinical trials are under way. I'll try to find reference at home and post. Apparently the older you get, the more you're likely to ... oh, I just Googled acidosis and bicycle, and here's the stupid article. Don't know why I bother even thinking anymore when I can just Google Enjoy!

http://www.bicyclenewswire.com/index...cid=100&id=297
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I did my centuries are climbing rides and was really beat afterwards, I'd usually work the next day. I walk a few miles as a mailman, and felt normal by lunch.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allowing for recovery is critical and often not adhered to as much as it should be. I'm the worst at it but I can tell a big difference when it's done properly. I suspect eating and hydrating properly during and after a ride are something you might take a closer look at.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Allowing for recovery is critical and often not adhered to as much as it should be. I'm the worst at it but I can tell a big difference when it's done properly. I suspect eating and hydrating properly during and after a ride are something you might take a closer look at.
    Too bad hydrating doesn't include a ice cold beer!
    My rides are getting longer now, so recovery is becoming an issue. I'm trying different approaches, but not riding doesn't seem to work as well as taking a short, light ride. I drink a lot of water after a hard ride, but I've never really addressed eating.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Miyata, Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    Hey, it's better than the alternative!!!!!!
    How do you know, especially if you are a TRUE believer!!
    "The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfast
    I am 64 and that is one of the big differences from when I was a 35 year old marathoner. Then 1 recovery day was enough, now sometimes it takes 2 to recover from real hard efforts. OLD AGE SUCKS!
    +1. I think you're right, I've noticed I need more recovery time than in my youth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last weeks US Snooze and World Report magazine had some decent info on exercise and aging. It's a fact, your not 25 any more.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not 25? Of course I am not, I am surely only 16 - just a very mature 16...

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    So thats where I am going wrong
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    Says who?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.