User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road Bike vs. Touring Bike

I've seen references in threads to "touring bikes", making a distinction between that type of bike and a road bike.

Can anyone please point me to some material that explains the differences between them? I'm thinking of doing a VBT 6 day tour in early fall and I'm wondering if I would be better off with a touring bike (I have a Trek Pilot 1.2 now).

Thanks.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "touring bikes" should have fittings for fenders and racks and multiple water bottles, geometry that allows for stable handling when loaded and that allows heel clearance with rear panniers, clearance for relatively wide tires, etc. Brakes should be suitable for loads. Gearing should be appropriate for varied terrain - triples are common. Should be set up so that the tourist is able to ride comfortably all day. "Touring" is a descriptive term for bikes that has been around for decades. The label "road bike" has come into use only relatively recently and is somewhat ill-defined. A touring bike would be quite different than a road-racing bike but a road bike isn't necessarily a racing bike. Confusing, isn't it? A classic touring bike would look quite unlike a mountain bike - but some folks tour on mountain bikes - or even hybrids. How about a recumbent touring bike? Makes sense to me.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're going to actually be carrying your luggage on your bike, my guess is that your Trek will do just fine. Remember when most road bikes were called "10-speed racers" even though most people just used them to ride around on? Well, the same still seems to hold as most bikes above entry level are still often written up in the brochures as being great for "competition", etc.

I use my Specialized Sequoia about the same way as everyone else that I see out there, but it is sometimes called a "light touring" bike mainly because it does have fittings for racks & fenders. I think your Pilot is in about the same class and will do fine for the type of touring where your gear is carried for you in a sag wagon.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most touring bikes have a longer wheel base and are much studier for the weight of extra's.

Your trek will do fine unless you are going to carry alot.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in Savannah, GA this spring, I happened to be standing on the dock when a very tired looking guy rode up on a bike. Turns out that this was the finish line for his Southern Tier, from LA to Savannah. I mention it because he was riding a Raleigh road bike with very little gear on it. He did the Tier solo and without support.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pilot 1.2 should do find for this type of touring.

I have a Trek 1800C (predecessor to the Pilots) and it does great on these types of tours. I have a rack on the bike for a small trunk bag to carry those extras needed. Unless you're carrying everything (tent, clothes, etc) on your bike the Pilot should be suitable.

I plan on doing two week long supported tours later this summer on the Madone. I intend to put a small handlebar bag on the front or use a Camelbak with some storage space since all I need to carry are items I might need on the road for the day.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SAG supported fast touring of 100 to 150 miles/day with a light road-bike, large saddle bag for repair kit and rain jacket. (Credit card touring)
    Non supported multiple day fast touring, 100 to 150 miles/day. Same as above but add a saddle stem mounted Treck bag for more stuff. (Credit card touring)

Touring with tents, sleeping bag, clothes for wide range of weather, use sturdy touring bike with panniers.

I do all I can think of to get by with the first two arrangements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll find the salient information toward the end of the page on this link to Sheldon Brown's site.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ta-o.html
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!!!

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my touring bike. Note how different it is compared to your typical road bike.

I occasionally will tour with a group but I also self-support solo so my bike must be able to not only carry me but an additional 30 to 40 lbs of gear as well.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou
    Here is my touring bike. Note how different it is compared to your typical road bike.

I occasionally will tour with a group but I also self-support solo so my bike must be able to not only carry me but an additional 30 to 40 lbs of gear as well.
    A traditional touring bike wouldn't include any PVC plumbing pipe. Is that a backpack hanger?

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JP

As I recall, VBT has a "road bike" that has triple chain rings and a pretty relaxed geometry which makes them pretty similar to touring bikes. So go with your road bike or take the bike they provide. Of course, it has been awhile since I went on one of those tours. Also, most of their tours are not that challenging so you should do fine on your own bike. Even on their hardest tours, you are not doing anything really hard.

Pat