Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannon Valley Trail - Red Wing, MN

Has anyone ridden the Cannon Valley Trail, between Red Wing and Cannon Falls, Minnesota?

I need a stress break and my wife is turning me loose for a few days. I love the towns along the Upper Mississippi, with Red Wing being one of my favorites. So I may be heading up there come this Saturday.

I understand this trail is asphalt paved over its entire distance, correct? As I almost never ride on asphalt, it would give me a good chance to gauge my performance. I see that the elevation change from Cannon Falls to Red Wing is just 115'. Does it have some up & down stretches or it is relatively flat the whole way?

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    It's a beautiful ride. Completely paved. Old rail line, so relatively flat. It's been a while since I've been down that way, but I recall a small permit fee for trail access.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's listed on the rails-to-trails website. These types of trails normally don't have too much in the way of hills. We have several in our area and they're usually 1-3% grades at the most.

Sounds like a great trail....enjoy!
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YOU need a stress break? I heard you didn't actually have stress but were definitely a carrier....

Have fun, I wish I was going on a nice paved trail bike tour. And I also wish I had a helmet like that, to take it in.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    YOU need a stress break? I heard you didn't actually have stress but were definitely a carrier....
    Have you been talking to my wife?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    And I also wish I had a helmet like that, to take it in.
    Yah, sure, he better trade it in for horns if he's coming this side of the river, or we'll think he's a cheesehead for sure, don'tcha know.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn, Darn, Darn, Darn, Darn!!!!!

My plans are falling apart due to a heat wave moving in. I was going to hit the Cannon Valley trail on Sunday. They are now predicting 90 degrees in Red Wing on Sunday (but only 79 here in Madison, which is more than 150 miles south of Red Wing). I can't do a 30 mile'ish in that heat, just not used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always think of Dylan's song "The Walls of Red Wing" when I hear that town mentioned. Is there really a reformatory for boys there, or was he using artistic license?

My Bikes
    05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    I always think of Dylan's song "The Walls of Red Wing" when I hear that town mentioned. Is there really a reformatory for boys there, or was he using artistic license?
    Yes indeed...Bob Dylan (Robert Zimmerman) was an old Minnesota boy.
    Many of his songs were places here. (Positively 4th St. down at the U of M)

http://www.citypages.com/databank/24...ticle11705.asp
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    - Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
    Yes indeed...Bob Dylan (Robert Zimmerman) was an old Minnesota boy.
    Many of his songs were places here. (Positively 4th St. down at the U of M)

http://www.citypages.com/databank/24...ticle11705.asp
    Thanks, I've read most of the Dylan biographies, but none ever went into detail about that particular song.

Old enough to know better efolsom's Avatar
    My Bikes
    pilot 2.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    Has anyone ridden the Cannon Valley Trail, between Red Wing and Cannon Falls, Minnesota?

I need a stress break and my wife is turning me loose for a few days. I love the towns along the Upper Mississippi, with Red Wing being one of my favorites. So I may be heading up there come this Saturday.

I understand this trail is asphalt paved over its entire distance, correct? As I almost never ride on asphalt, it would give me a good chance to gauge my performance. I see that the elevation change from Cannon Falls to Red Wing is just 115'. Does it have some up & down stretches or it is relatively flat the whole way?

Tom here's the trick : Start in Redwing and ride to Cannon then back. Then enjoy a nice lunch downtown!

Its a beautiful ride

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I had planned ... until I saw the weather forecast of 90-92 degrees.

I will try to reschedule in September or October, that's my next chance to getaway.

Instead of going to Red Wing, I will now be heading to the Wisconsin Lake Michigan shoreline, where temps will be in the mid-70s. Am planning to ride the Wild Goose trail along the Horicon Marsh and then along a county trail that runs down the shoreline through Port Washington and Cedarburg. May hit Milwaukee & Summerfest ... I'm eyeing the Roger Waters concert on July 2.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.accuweather.com/forecast2...55066&metric=0

Accuweather says high of 83 on Sunday for Red Wing, Real Feel 80. Sounds like a nice* day for a ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ... the Weather Channel page is saying 88 on Sat, 90 on Sunday, 89 on Monday and 95 on Tuesday. All with high humidity.

At 83 with a "Real Feel" of 80, I'd make the trip.

I can change back up until Friday afternoon, so maybe I'll keep an eye on it.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    county trail that runs down the shoreline through Port Washington and Cedarburg
    I rode that trail two years ago when I rode around the southern part of Lake Michigan. The trail itself isn't anything special, but Cedarburg was kind of nice. I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Port Washington, which was right on the lake. What I remember the most about that day is that the ride through Milwaukee and up the trail to Port Washington was ridden in a steady downpour. Not my idea of a good time, but not much you can do about it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cedarburg is one of my favorite towns and I haven't visited in about 4 years. I also like Port Washington and walking out on the piers, watching people fish. Maybe I'll drop down into Milwaukee for some good German food.

It won't be quite as satisfying as going to Red Wing, but the timing is better. Along Lake Michigan is very nice in the summer, as the lake breezes keep the temps down about 10 degrees from what they are just 5 miles inland. And then Red Wing and the Upper Mississippi is a great place to visit in the Fall.

I was once driving down the interstate along the Wisconsin shoreline and it was 91 degrees. I pulled into the town of Two Rivers, which juts out just a little bit into the lake and was about 4-5 miles east of the interstate, and the temp was 70, with a breeze.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I had planned ... until I saw the weather forecast of 90-92 degrees.

I will try to reschedule in September or October, that's my next chance to getaway.
    ???? That's not very hot for cycling (where we generate our own breeze). And it's not going to be that hot all day long.

What about starting early in the morning? It's only 30 flat miles, so you'll likely be done well before noon if you start early.

Sounds like you're looking for an excuse not to ride.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm simply going someplace else to ride, where the highs are expected to be around 73-75.

I hate temps over 85 when it is humid.

As to completing 30'ish miles before noon, well, you have never seen me ride. This past Sunday was my first ride ever where I averaged over 10 mph for the entire ride, including stops. And a 30 mile ride would certainly have a longer rest stop in it.

Frankly when I make it up to Red Wing, my goal would be to try to do my first 40 miler. If its 90, that's not gonna happen.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cedarburg is one of my favorite towns and I haven't visited in about 4 years. I also like Port Washington and walking out on the piers, watching people fish. Maybe I'll drop down into Milwaukee for some good German food.
    I had a great burger and a beer in Cedarburg across from a bookstore that I visited. I liked Port Washington a lot. In fact, if I do my around the lake trip in September, I plan to stay there again.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accuweather turned out to be the more correct forecaster. They never waivered off of predicted 83 for Sunday, July 1 for the entire week leading up to it. "The Weather Channel" never waivered off of predicting 89-90. The actual was 83.

Where I was along Lake Michigan had a high of just 70 on Sunday, but I loved it.

Visiting either the Cannon Valley or Root River Trails in Minnesota is still in my 2007 travel plan - but it will probably be September or October now.

My Bikes
    88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom,
    Here is the website for the Cannon Valley Trail, there is a $3.00 wheel pass...
    Keith

Old enough to know better efolsom's Avatar
    My Bikes
    pilot 2.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Accuweather turned out to be the more correct forecaster. They never waivered off of predicted 83 for Sunday, July 1 for the entire week leading up to it. "The Weather Channel" never waivered off of predicting 89-90. The actual was 83.

Where I was along Lake Michigan had a high of just 70 on Sunday, but I loved it.

Visiting either the Cannon Valley or Root River Trails in Minnesota is still in my 2007 travel plan - but it will probably be September or October now.

If you'd like some company let me know, its one of my favorite rides

e

My Bikes
    Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning the trip can be half the fun! Nice reason to look forward to fall.
    The combination of hot weather and humidity sends me to a comfy chair on the deck with a tall iced drink of some kind. Wouldn't even think of getting on the bike! I can bike in the coldest weather with no problem, but not the heat....
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
    - Buckaroo Banzai