I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a protocol regarding drafting?

Yesterday some dood decided to draft me for a couple of miles. He never said a word, and he never offered to take the lead. We even came to a traffic signal or two and he hung back, rather than pulling up for a cheery hello or whatever. Finally he went off another direction.

In your opinion, did this cyclist follow or break the International Unspoken Cycling Conventions?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Yesterday some dood decided to draft me for a couple of miles. He never said a word, and he never offered to take the lead. We even came to a traffic signal or two and he hung back, rather than pulling up for a cheery hello or whatever. Finally he went off another direction.

In your opinion, did this cyclist follow or break the International Unspoken Cycling Conventions?
    You sure you just weren't looking at yourself in your mirror and thinking someone was following you?
    Jeff

Trek 930
    1988 Cannondale ST400

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be safe, drafters and draftees need to clearly communicate. The guy drafting you was not doing that.

The rule of thumb is to announce your presence with "On your wheel", or "Mind if I sit in?", or "Hey, how's it going?", etc.

It's also considered rude to sit in the draft and not take a turn at the front.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Broke them all. If you ever see him again, honk! in an honest effort to scare the bejeebers out of him. After he falls off the bike, you can help him up and explain how his bad behavior a couple of months ago has suddenly and unexpectedly come back to haunt him in the best twilight zone traditions.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    Broke them all. If you ever see him again, honk! in an honest effort to scare the bejeebers out of him. After he falls off the bike, you can help him up and explain how his bad behavior a couple of months ago has suddenly and unexpectedly come back to haunt him in the best twilight zone traditions.
    Or just grab a handful of brake, and when he crashes out after hitting your rear wheel say, "Sorry, dude...didn't know you were back there."
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee

Ah, to be drafted you have to go fast enough to create.........a draft........what you are dealing with here, DG, is a stalker. Anyone who would go slow enough to follow you for miles is clearly after your body. I'd be careful, if I were you (which I am not, by the way).
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should not have drafted unless coming up and let you know he was there-very unsafe for you both.

I've developed an additional sense somehow knowing someone is behind me. I don't mind following behind me but I do expect them to share the work when we're doing hard pulls.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't mention how fast you were riding or if you were on the roubaix. Was he on a BLACK bike? He may have been a "bikejacker" waiting for you to fall off, so he could make off with Ruby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Wheelsucker....or whatever rhymes. Etiquette while casually cruising "requires" someone to announce themselves, say Hi, wheel along side you for a while and shoot the spit-- not just lurk back there like a "stalker" (good term TLC20010). I don't think you're the type to quite literally dump the guy on the pavement with a well timed brake or jink, DG. So...simply slow down to a crawl, even stop. The dood will probably cruise on.

Keep pushing your fitness and you might just sprint away from him, or swerve around and shake his arse. In the meantime, slow to a creep-- or is that "for a creep".

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad
    You don't mention how fast you were riding or if you were on the roubaix. Was he on a BLACK bike? He may have been a "bikejacker" waiting for you to fall off, so he could make off with Ruby.
    If he was on a black bike, he might have been DG's "doppleganger". If DG had grabbed the brakes, as another poster suggested, and they collided the entire universe would have imploded.

Whew!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The roubaix robber?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. DG: "Drafting" suggests a cooperative effort between two or more riders, each giving to the other. It also suggests a riding "intimacy" because you're each trusting your precious, fragile body to the other. Six inches off someone's wheel is a potentially vulnerable place to be. Always good to know the riding style of the person with whom you're riding nose to butt.

Man, I would never just drop in behind a stranger unless the rider gave off "I'm an expert" vibes.

Anyway, this guy sounds like a jerk. Most cyclists are lovely people....this person was one of the few brown apples out there.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To prevent drafting, trade Ruby for real low recumbent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    To prevent drafting, trade Ruby for real low recumbent.
    Or, try Card's other maneuver.....light a fart for the full "after-burner" effect. Apologies for my bad taste here and, Card, hopefully your weren't offended by my remark-- a real stinker!

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Or, try Card's other maneuver.....light a fart for the full "after-burner" effect. Apologies for my bad taste here and, Card, hopefully your weren't offended by my remark-- a real stinker!

That could give Elton John's "Rocket Man" a new meaning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That could give Elton John's "Rocket Man" a new meaning.

A lot of laughs and insight here at BF......we should pick up a few keggers some day and gather at a park.
    DG in his "I'm the Frickin' Cook You Got a Problem With That" apron at the BBQ, Stapfam explaining sticky buns, Card being kept away from the baked beans..........would be kool. And all those bikes leaning against trees waiting for the group ride.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    A lot of laughs and insight here at BF......we should pick up a few keggers some day and gather at a park.
    DG in his "I'm the Frickin' Cook You Got a Problem With That" apron at the BBQ, Stapfam explaining sticky buns, Card being kept away from the baked beans..........would be kool. And all those bikes leaning against trees waiting for the group ride.
    There is a forum called Adventure Cycling that caters to motorcycles that meet like this around the country. I think this would be great to put a face with a name. All we would really need are areas in regions w/camping, grocery stores, motels and people willing to organize. People could come, enjoy the comraderee (sp?) and ride on the rides we all talk about. Perhaps we could work out a way to have a meal or two for everyone the first or last night of the meeting.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, I've had a mixed bag of riders I meet on the road. Some announce they are behind me, some just take me by surprise. Interesting, all those riders that might be classified as "Freds" announce themselves whether drafting or passing. Wish I could say it's 100% for the OCP types, but it's a crap shoot, some are real good, some are in their own little world where they are Lance. What can I say.
    Me? I always announce "I've got your back" or "On your left". If I'm drafting and they act real nervous, I break it off and pass.
    I have to admit, I don't like drafting behind a stranger because I can't read their moves like I can someone I've ridden with before.
    In our group that meets after work, we take turns leading.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a forum called Adventure Cycling that caters to motorcycles that meet like this around the country. I think this would be great to put a face with a name. All we would really need are areas in regions w/camping, grocery stores, motels and people willing to organize. People could come, enjoy the comraderee (sp?) and ride on the rides we all talk about. Perhaps we could work out a way to have a meal or two for everyone the first or last night of the meeting.
    Actually bikes, not motorcycles:
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by head_wind
    Actually bikes, not motorcycles:
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/forums/
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

believe me on this one.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tandem Club of America does just that. We attended the Prarie State Tandem Rally in Springfield Il over Father's Day weekend. We are planning to meet with around 1,000 of our closest tandem riding friends in Appleton Wi over Labor Day weekend.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one time that I got into an ad hoc draft line, it seemed like it was the lead rider's prerogative when to drop back, rather than someone else deciding to lead. That made sense to me -- when the leader felt tired out, he would move to the left and slow down slightly, let the line pass him, and then drop in at the back. It really worked well and I enjoyed the several miles that I was in the group.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As said it is best if everyone agrees to ride together. If I am out solo and someone wants to draft it does not bother me as long as they announce themselves. I have done so on occasion when I am solo and asked to jump on the back when being passed. If you ask most people are Ok with it. I have had someone draft me for as much as 8 miles without a word which is somewhat disconcerting.

If I jump in with a big group I generally don't say anything since who am I going to ask if I can jump in. Most of the big groups don't even know everyone in the ride. Not sure if that is breaking a rule but I have done this on many occasions with no one complaining.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A well seasoned and skilled rider will always announce him or herself, as SSP said, ususally with a comment like: "On your wheel" or "Mind if I sit in." On a serious note, when you've got someone doing what you describe, I would tend to think of them as a real danger. They obviously don't understand the dynamics of safe riding (or don't respect you enough to practice safe riding), and I sure as heck wouldn't want them on my wheel. I'd slow down enough that they no longer wanted to draft, let them pass, and be glad they were now less of a danger to me.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would hope that someone announces themself, but I don't typically ride by slamming on the brakes or swerving, so it's usually not an issue. Of course, if I were the wheel-sucker, I would definitely let the puller know that I'm there. More likely is that someone pulls up on the left and says "hi!" and shakes me out of my trance...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast