Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ironically humorous injuries you've suffered?

Some years ago I skied over to the midmountain lodge at our local ski resort. On my back, I carried a pack with a box of wine and a very large bag of marinating teriyaki chicken. Conditions were infinite blue sky and heavy, wet, gloppy spring snow known as "Sierra cement" (remember this vital fact...it's important).

Leaning on skis outside the lodge, someone cracked a joke. I laughed. Guess I shouldn't have. I leaned back to hoot, threw myself off balance and started to slide backwards downhill. No problemo to an old ski hound like myself. Right. Went to casually pick up my ski to edge into the snow. But the tails were submarining into the glop. No go. I went into a slow, unstoppable split. The wheels of Fate ground slowly closed. I "heard" or at least felt the knee ligaments pop like piano wires.

Took me almost a year and lots of leg extensions to be able to get full flexion and recovery in my knee. As some of you can attest, physical therapy can be a painful pisser. But I'm back. It's a funny story now that people sometimes tell. Except for the occasional tendinitis (like right now) that fires up and throws me off training routine. Right now I'm doing 10-15 miles a day and look forward to a few months of "getting it back".

While sometimes frustrating, it humbly reminds me of my mortality out there on the road and gives me an opportunity to keep starting over Rocky-style and returning to whatever form I have locked inside of me.....even if I do sometimes appear to be Sisyphus endlessly pushing his rock up the hill.

So, anyone care to share their "I've lived a full, active life and have the dents-and-dings to show for it" experiences. Might be encouraging (or, maybe too revealing) for us to share some of the nagging impediments we overcome to follow our cycling life-style.

I realize this is long and an off-the-wall thread.
    Last edited by CrossChain; 06-25-07 at 07:57 PM.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    I realize this is long and an off-the-wall thread.
    That's my favorite type.

My favorite crash was when my son and I were riding at Mohican Park in Ohio. We were going up a hill along a cross-camber turn. I stalled and put my foot down on the downhill side of the trail. Oops. I flew down the hill for about 30 yards, coming to rest unceremoniously against a tree. My son loved it. I did not share his opinion of it at the time.

I also crashed on a trail and got a big gouge on my right knee, with the fatty tissue kind of pouring out of it. I cleaned it up good (I wish I had just rubbed some dirt on it, as that would have made a better story) and duct taped it down. I got a nasty scar on my knee. It's pretty cool.

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lit a fart back in my college days. Didn't know I needed to keep my underwear on, so I pulled them down for full effect. Let one of the biggest of my life. It went BOOM and lit up the room. I spent the next 15 minutes sitting on the lavatory running cold water on my nether regions while the only thing I could smell was burned hair and flesh. Can you imagine how painful the next two weeks were?????

Now I don't care what you've done. That's as funny as it was stupid.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a lineman and one day I was making up a dead-end. I hung the 28 foot ladder, safety off and went down about 10 feet. They have a rope that you safety to between the ladder so if you fall you wont go all the way. I had everything grounded because the line we were working on was still hot. Anyhow after forming the jumper I had to cut of about 6 feet. I put the ratchet cutters on the wire and when I cut the wire all I seen was a bright red. The next thing I knew I was hanging at the bottom of the 28' ladder 180 feet above the ground. I was knocked out and the shock of hitting the bottom brought me too.

Another time when I made a jump my chute had a delayed opening and I fell into another guys chute. You can't stay that way or you will collapse the other guys chute so I rolled off. I just got clear in time for the chute to open with a few seconds to spare. Somebody up there likes me.
    George

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    I lit a fart back in my college days. Didn't know I needed to keep my underwear on, so I pulled them down for full effect. Let one of the biggest of my life. It went BOOM and lit up the room. I spent the next 15 minutes sitting on the lavatory running cold water on my nether regions while the only thing I could smell was burned hair and flesh. Can you imagine how painful the next two weeks were?????

Now I don't care what you've done. That's as funny as it was stupid.

You better not bring that Brooks up again.
    George

Happy Rider
    My Bikes
    Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    You better not bring that Brooks up again.
    Hey, we are discussing the same region.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by card
    Hey, we are discussing the same region.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long story made short: Was surprised when squirted with water while sitting on a bar stool. Went flying off the stool and in an effort to stop the fall landed on a ceramic tile floor with my elbow being the point of impact. Took almost a year to get rid of the bone chip in the joint. Most painful thing ever had. Finally they disolved the thing with ultrasound.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106
    Long story made short: Was surprised when squirted with water while sitting on a bar stool. Went flying off the stool and in an effort to stop the fall landed on a ceramic tile floor with my elbow being the point of impact. Took almost a year to get rid of the bone chip in the joint. Most painful thing ever had. Finally they disolved the thing with ultrasound.
    There I was just riding along.....................................

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    I was a lineman and one day I was making up a dead-end. I hung the 28 foot ladder, safety off and went down about 10 feet. They have a rope that you safety to between the ladder so if you fall you wont go all the way. I had everything grounded because the line we were working on was still hot. Anyhow after forming the jumper I had to cut of about 6 feet. I put the ratchet cutters on the wire and when I cut the wire all I seen was a bright red. The next thing I knew I was hanging at the bottom of the 28' ladder 180 feet above the ground. I was knocked out and the shock of hitting the bottom brought me too.

Another time when I made a jump my chute had a delayed opening and I fell into another guys chute. You can't stay that way or you will collapse the other guys chute so I rolled off. I just got clear in time for the chute to open with a few seconds to spare. Somebody up there likes me.
    Thread killer........George wins. He clearly has a bigger set than anyone else on the forum.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most ironic was when I was riding in the middle of the desert and my bike wiped out on some algae growing in the middle of the street.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid my mother used to worry about us climbing the big maple tree in the backyard. So, at her suggestion we took a set of tire snow chains and hung them from the tree so they would dangle against the trunk. This way, according to her reasoning, we would have a ladder to climb and not have to worry about the limbs breaking (apparently this happened to her when she was a kid and she broke her arm). Well, the first trip up the "ladder" I slipped, resulting in the chain whiplashing around my neck and hanging me. There I was, out cold, hanging by the neck. According to my brothers who witnessed the whole thing, they'd never seen anything like our mother dashing from the back porch, scurrying up the tree and undoing the chain in less than a few moments. I had some serious bruises and scrapes around the neck, but was OK otherwise. She never made another suggestion about tree climbing to us again.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in The Royal Navy I repaired radar equipment. One time I forgot to wait 30 minutes for the capacitors to discharge, so when I went in with the multimeter they discharged through me, several thousand volts ( but luckily only a few amps) threw me across the workshop. Woke up in sick bay with a "shocking" hairstyle. My signet ring had a hole in it too where the spark had melted it.

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite crash was coming downhill on a MUP that went into a blind turn under an overpass. There is a concrete wall on one side and a stream on the other. I come down under the overpass too fast and go from bright sunlight to darkness and I barely see a small kid on a bike coming the other way. I make a split second decision and go right into the stream full speed, over the handle bars, I'm laying on my back almost completely submerged and this little kid on his Schwinn pulls up says "Mr are you Ok!' I did not break anything but I felt stupid for going too damn fast and almost creaming this poor kid. Got back on my MTB, straightened out the bars and limped on home.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jibi
    When I was in The Royal Navy I repaired radar equipment. One time I forgot to wait 30 minutes for the capacitors to discharge, so when I went in with the multimeter they discharged through me, several thousand volts ( but luckily only a few amps) threw me across the workshop. Woke up in sick bay with a "shocking" hairstyle. My signet ring had a hole in it too where the spark had melted it.

george
    That sounds more fun that a Model T spark coil. I used to play with them and a six volt battery. I got blown across the kitchen a couple of times. No wonder I'm touchy about electricity these days.