User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover
    Yen, you might want to reconsider. Clipless make a huge difference on distance rides, IMO, enough to justify the little bit of time and practice needed to get used to them. I stress "little" here- it really takes very little time to be proficient and comfy in clipping in and out.
    Uh, I dunno..... clipless seems a little scary at this time. Would they make a huge difference over Power Grips?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010
    Short answer is: sure you can. I did my first century (a solo) when I was 63 after about 4 months of regular riding using a Specialized Crossroads with 700 x 38 tires. It took me 8 hours and I was pretty tired at the end, but it was worth it.

A narrower tire would help, a comfortable seat, and a flat course would help a lot. You might look for a supported ride (there should be some charity rides in your area) which will certainly have riders of your experience level (and will take away the anxiety of mechanical trouble or food issues) and go for it.

Be sure to take a small camera so you can post photos of your adventure when you write your story for the forum. Can't wait to read it.
    Thanks, the supported ride info is great advice! One more interesting thing I've learned in these forums.

Which reminds me, when I took my bike in for its first check-up the other day I suggested Continental Gatorskins for Hubby's road bike. Then I suggested something else for my pump, and that's when the young LBS guy said "Wow, you're saavy! Usually it's the man who has to explain things to his wife!" I explained that I'm the family researcher. Later, I told Hubby "You don't know what you're missing by not participating in the forums." He said "I'm not missing anything, you tell me everything!"

I still have a LOT to learn......... beginning with how to change a tire.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW,

I rode an unsupported metric century on my original mountain bike WITH stock knobbie tires two years ago, on pavement, before I knew any better. It was hard, it was fun, it was doable, and I wouldn't do it again, because now I know the value of at least having slicks on the bike, if not a road bike itself.

But is a century doable on a hybrid? Hell yes!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using PowerGrips for three weeks now and like them a lot. I can't see how clipless could be anything but marginally better, for the Power Grips hold my feet tight to the pedal. I like them for keeping my feet in good position. Plus I can wear any shoe I want and you come out of them almost like they aren't there.

They look pretty hokey, but do the job well. I'm thinking about blacking out the BIG white POWER GRIPS lettering on them.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I have been using PowerGrips for three weeks now and like them a lot. I can't see how clipless could be anything but marginally better, for the Power Grips hold my feet tight to the pedal. I like them for keeping my feet in good position. Plus I can wear any shoe I want and you come out of them almost like they aren't there.

They look pretty hokey, but do the job well.
    Are they easy to get in and out when you come to a stop somewhere? Do they flip over so they are upside down when you're not in them? What do they cost? Do they come in cool OCP colors? I have thought about maybe getting me some of these...
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They look pretty hokey, but do the job well. I'm thinking about blacking out the BIG white POWER GRIPS lettering on them.
    +100

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are extremely easy to get in and out of at stops. On my last ride, I was cruising along and missed a trail sign warning of a stop ahead, so I cruised right into the stop at 16 mph and had to do an emergency braking manuever. My shoe came right out of the Power Grips as if they weren't there.

They do flip over upside down, which can be annoying.

They cost around $18-$20.

They only come in black, with big white/silver letters on them screaming that yes, you are a Fred.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...ku=1270&brand=

Oh, and you have to have the right kind of platform pedal for them to work. A pedal with removable reflectors (or holes for attaching reflectors) that then have the screw holes in the right position to install the power grips. The standard medal sawtooth pedals work, but most of the MTB platform pedals do not.

You can see the approximate type of pedal that works in this pic:
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...ku=1269&brand=
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-26-07 at 01:24 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom, turn them "inside out"- it'll put the label on the underside, against your shoe top.

As to them comparing to clipless- I rode PGs for 4 years- just switched to clipless. Yes there's a difference, but so far, it's really only noticable on hills.

Yen, you probably want to hang on to the metal cage pedals- won't be long until you'll want your shoes to grip the pedals.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use ATB strapless clips as can be seen in the photo of my bike in this thread. I can use any shoe with them and in the winter I can get away with using insulated boots with them providing nice warm toes and feet even in below freezing temps. Granted they're not as efficient as clipless, clips, or even PowerGrips but I enjoy riding in areas without pavement or on closed roads with damaged bridges. Being able to get my feet off the pedals immediately is an absolute necessity. My strapless clips keep my feet on the pedals and prevents slipping off them when standing on the pedals and is an improvement over just platform pedals.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou
    I use ATB strapless clips as can be seen in the photo of my bike in this thread. I can use any shoe with them and in the winter I can get away with using insulated boots with them providing nice warm toes and feet even in below freezing temps. Granted they're not as efficient as clipless, clips, or even PowerGrips but I enjoy riding in areas without pavement or on closed roads with damaged bridges. Being able to get my feet off the pedals immediately is an absolute necessity. My strapless clips keep my feet on the pedals and prevents slipping off them when standing on the pedals and is an improvement over just platform pedals.
    I know it's time to get my eye exam but is this one of those trick pictures? Will the bike appear if I keep staring at it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloak of invisibility is my guess.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I know it's time to get my eye exam but is this one of those trick pictures? Will the bike appear if I keep staring at it
    Thank you Beverly...I didn't know what to say!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that he's referring to the pix he posted earlier in the thread of his bike. This is the terrain he rides...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...or you guys know that and you're pulling my paw...
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong
    I think that he's referring to the pix he posted earlier in the thread of his bike. This is the terrain he rides...
    Gee....he posted the picture of his bike yesterday. I can't remember what I had for lunch today so I definitely won't remember a picture posted yesterday
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou
    I put that type of clip on my son's road bike to get him used to keeping his foot in the right place on the pedal without having him be afraid of being stuck in place. As for the picture of where you ride, that looks like an expressway compared to the places I ride my MTB with Eggbeater clipless pedals. Once you get past the fear, you can get out of clipless pedals as quickly as anything else. It is all a matter of what you are used to and confident with.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a 170km run to the cottage a few time a year on my old Schwinn comfort hybrid...a bit heavy, but I've got a 52T big chain ring with a 11-30T cog set so it's fairly fast.

I like this bike as I can load up the panniers with food, tubes, water, tools, rain gear, etc...stop and pick up grocerys for dinner along the way as well

usually do the trip in about 6.5 hours with a break for lunch

here's the bike I use:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are otherwise comfortable on the bike, longer rides on a hybrid shouldn't be a problem....with practice. A century is certainly doable.
    I ride my Trek 750 on 50 to 70 miles rides almost every weekend. My longest single ride distance is 85 miles ( I was a bit sore after that one) and I plan to do a century on it later this year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    I do a 170km run to the cottage a few time a year on my old Schwinn comfort hybrid...a bit heavy, but I've got a 52T big chain ring with a 11-30T cog set so it's fairly fast.

I like this bike as I can load up the panniers with food, tubes, water, tools, rain gear, etc...stop and pick up grocerys for dinner along the way as well

usually do the trip in about 6.5 hours with a break for lunch

here's the bike I use:
    That's pretty impressive to do a Century, loaded on a touring bike in 6.5 hours with lunch break!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    That's pretty impressive to do a Century, loaded on a touring bike in 6.5 hours with lunch break!
    I usually wait until after I'm done riding for the day before I get loaded.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my first century was on a Specialized Sirrus last June 24th. When I finished, I had a severe bruise on my right big toe...which I think was from the heat buildup on the spd pedals and the crappy shoes I was wearing. I also had mucho numbness in my right hand which persisted for a couple of months. I am convinced that the the lack of hand placement choices on the flat handlebars contributed to this. Right after that I added bar ends to the handlebars and that helped. I logged many miles on that bike before going to a traditional road bike. I still think it's a great bike, but I doubt that I would want to ride another century on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding a century on your hybrid should be no problem at all.
    I'd advise you to learn to fix flats before doing it and get rid of the Slime filled tubes, too messy. You should be able to keep the tires you have and put in regular tubes. There is a Specialized Nimbus Armadillo that's a 700X38. That should be a nice riding tire for you. I run the 559X1.5 Nimbus Armadillo on the back of my recumbent, and it rolls along nice and smooth. I pump it to max psi, but you might try it about 10-15 psi under the max listed on the sidewall. Go to the store and look at the Armadillos, the 700X28 might be a large tire that would work fine for you.
    I second the other advice to get bar ends. I put the curved aluminum ones on a MTB, and it gave me two more hand positions for riding comfort.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure I could have done a century on my MTB with slicks. To be sure, I'm not entirely convinced that my road bike's performance is a dramatic improvement. However, the road bike is dramatically more rider friendly. The Buenos Aires soaks up road buzz and is smoother than when I take the preload off my MTB fork. My wrists and arms just never hurt anymore with a road bike. I also climb quicker than on the MTB, but that's because the MTB is geared much lower than the road bike, and if low gears are there, I will use them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course the bike is capable, what matters is your level of fitness and your comfort on the bike. Like others have said, slicks at high pressure. Shoes are more important than the type of pedal, but I would never ride without clipless pedals. I did a 9 hour ride Saturday and I never even thought about my feet. I use loose fitting mtb shoes and SPD type pedals.
    Bike Forums 50+ rider Roadfix did the highland double century on a fixed gear Saturday, so I think you can knock out 100 on a hybrid.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    I put that type of clip on my son's road bike to get him used to keeping his foot in the right place on the pedal without having him be afraid of being stuck in place. As for the picture of where you ride, that looks like an expressway compared to the places I ride my MTB with Eggbeater clipless pedals. Once you get past the fear, you can get out of clipless pedals as quickly as anything else. It is all a matter of what you are used to and confident with.
    No one makes insulated boots for Eggbeater clipless pedals. I've also never found any clipless bike shoe suitable for hiking several miles with my bike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast