Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly
    I know it's time to get my eye exam but is this one of those trick pictures? Will the bike appear if I keep staring at it
    From a tour I did late fall 2006.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link
    However, the road bike is dramatically more rider friendly. ... My wrists and arms just never hurt anymore with a road bike.
    I'm curious... in what way? What causes your wrists and arms to hurt on your other bike? Wrists are my main concern... I have a silastic lunate implant in my left wrist (almost 30 years old), so I wear a left-handed wrist brace when I ride to protect the implant if I should fall to the left. My right wrist isn't great either and it tends to go numb quickly if I don't keep it in a neutral position. In general, how is a road bike more rider friendly..... because it is faster, or just overall more comfortable?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
    Riding a century on your hybrid should be no problem at all.
    I'd advise you to learn to fix flats before doing it and get rid of the Slime filled tubes, too messy. You should be able to keep the tires you have and put in regular tubes. There is a Specialized Nimbus Armadillo that's a 700X38. That should be a nice riding tire for you. I run the 559X1.5 Nimbus Armadillo on the back of my recumbent, and it rolls along nice and smooth. I pump it to max psi, but you might try it about 10-15 psi under the max listed on the sidewall. Go to the store and look at the Armadillos, the 700X28 might be a large tire that would work fine for you.
    I second the other advice to get bar ends. I put the curved aluminum ones on a MTB, and it gave me two more hand positions for riding comfort.
    LOVE the idea of the 700x38 Armadillos! I am planning to get Armadillos in the future anyway, and also to replace the slime-filled tubes. You also mentioned 700x28... did you mean 38, or do you think a 28 might be good too? I also plan to learn how to fix flats VERY soon... #1 on my agenda.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by n4zou
    No one makes insulated boots for Eggbeater clipless pedals. I've also never found any clipless bike shoe suitable for hiking several miles with my bike.
    Well, not exactly "no one" - http://www.icebike.org/Clothing/footwear.htm

But point well taken. There are certainly certain specific situations where clipless pedals are less appropriate. My point was merely that rough terrain would not normally be one of those conditions.

But the bottom line is that everyone gets to choose for themselves whether to go with clipless or clips and straps or Powergrips or platforms or whatever. And whichever one the OP chooses won't make riding a century on a hybrid bike any more or less doable. It could affect climbing speed or comfort or confidence, but it can and has been done in any way she might choose. Better to go with what you are comfortable and confident with than to go changing a bunch of stuff before a big ride.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone: Thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions. It will be a matter of months before I am ready to ride a century, or even a half-century. Your suggestions will help me prepare my bike for the adventure. As for me, I will ride every chance I get to strengthen my legs. My endurance is pretty good... I feel energized and want to keep going after our long rides, only my legs say "no", but they are getting there.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just going to ask what your plans are.

My highest goal is a 40 mile ride. No intention of riding a century. I'm confident I can do a 40, as I've already done 33, 27, and 26 mile rides and those were all on gravel trails. I suspect a 40 on asphalt might even be easier than the 33 I've already done on gravel.

Around these parts 40 isn't a high number, but the percentage of people out of the general population who have done a 40 mile bike ride is pretty low. That's good enough for me.

Unless at some point where I get in to good enough condition, and have a faster bike, and perhaps a 50 miler is easier than a 30 is now for me. If that happens, it happens, but it isn't a goal. Hey, I'm thrilled that I hit a max of 33, done three 25+ rides, and did 53 in two days. Last year I thought that impossible.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom: I hear you and I completely agree. I'm thrilled by what I am doing now, and so should you be about yours. Doing something of any mileage is better and far more important than doing nothing at all. I want to keep this in its proper perspective, and sometimes my personal goal runs away from reality.

Mainly, I'm wondering if it's a reasonable goal to strive for on my current bike. I wouldn't be ready for months anyway, and I probably wouldn't do it if Hubby isn't ready or wanting to do it. We bought our bikes for something to do together, to supplement our walking routine, and it turns out we like cycling SO much more than we expected and we'd both rather ride than walk. If we can do it together, that would be so much more fun. If not, then I'll be happy that we are still riding whatever time we can for as long as we can.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One can always set high goals.

My #1 goal was to be able to go out and take a 10-15 mile ride and enjoy it. I'm doing that now and loving it. My legs are in the best shape they've been in many years. And I feel better all day long. So far getting back into cycling has been a great thing.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    One can always set high goals.

My #1 goal was to be able to go out and take a 10-15 mile ride and enjoy it. I'm doing that now and loving it. My legs are in the best shape they've been in many years. And I feel better all day long. So far getting back into cycling has been a great thing.
    Yep, me too. The benefits I am getting from this (as well as the fun factor) have far exceeded my expectations.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
    I was just going to ask what your plans are.

My highest goal is a 40 mile ride. No intention of riding a century. I'm confident I can do a 40, as I've already done 33, 27, and 26 mile rides and those were all on gravel trails. I suspect a 40 on asphalt might even be easier than the 33 I've already done on gravel.

Around these parts 40 isn't a high number, but the percentage of people out of the general population who have done a 40 mile bike ride is pretty low. That's good enough for me.

Unless at some point where I get in to good enough condition, and have a faster bike, and perhaps a 50 miler is easier than a 30 is now for me. If that happens, it happens, but it isn't a goal. Hey, I'm thrilled that I hit a max of 33, done three 25+ rides, and did 53 in two days. Last year I thought that impossible.
    Good for you.

Once you hit 40+, the rest becomes easier, and soon you will think of 40 as not a very long ride.

Since you said such great things, I take back my vote kicking you off of the island, and transfer it to Weak Link, who, as of now, has no votes!

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WRT the Nimbus Armadillos: the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo is rated at 80 psi max and is heavier, stiffer, and almost bulletproof, the Nimbus Armadillo EX is 100psi max, . thinner, lighter, with softer sidewalls. I rode the EX's for two years, had a few flats, but NOWHERE near the number on "regular" tires. Went to the non-EX versions, have not had a flat in over 1.5 years. We ride on the Great River Road- lots of glass and steel radial wire. Flats were a fact of life there. With the Armadillos, and a regular inspection/cleaning of the tires, so far so good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen
    LOVE the idea of the 700x38 Armadillos! I am planning to get Armadillos in the future anyway, and also to replace the slime-filled tubes. You also mentioned 700x28... did you mean 38, or do you think a 28 might be good too? I also plan to learn how to fix flats VERY soon... #1 on my agenda.
    I meant the 28's. When I had some 25's before, they were so big they would only fit on one of my bikes. I don't know if this has changed, with the Armadillos being much larger than a similar sized tire from a different manufacturer. Go look at them in person, and see for yourself. My Nimbus Armadillo on the back of my 'bent gets 70% of the weight on it. It's a 1.5 and at max pressure has a wear pattern 3/4" wide.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, what type of surface do you normally ride on? Roads/asphalt? Gravel trails? Dirt?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On roads/asphalt...... with a lot of tiny glass pieces all along the way.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then you could give a thinner tire, like a 28mm some consideration. I don't like tires that thin on rail trails, although I know people use them, and thinner.

In my riding I came to like 700x32 tires. Thin enough to be light and roll nicely, thick enough to absorb road bumps and jitter. Although I didn't find significant differences between 32mm vs 35mm vs 37mm. I have 700x38 on my hybrid and they have worked well.

And if you decided to try 700x28, it would do you well to check with your LBS to see if a tire that thin fits your wheels. Since yours came with 700x40 standard, the rims are going to be a lot wider than on a road bike.

But I wouldn't consider a tire change that necessary unless you are going to ratchet up your distance and speed. Your present tires have a nice rolling profile and are much thinner than a mountain bike tire.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123