Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT....Paris, you are repugnant.

The tv is chattering at me about Paris Hilton-- her trauma, the inequity, her poor frazzled family, etc. Half a world away, there are some nameless working class youngsters carefully walking up some filthy alley not knowing if any moment could bring death or maiming. In my town, there are exhausted grandparents in my school's poor neighborhood raising as best they can their drug addled children's children. Yet how much airtime is given to those in Baqouba or those heroic grandparents? Better for the media to gather at the L.A. jail...

For a cheap, shallow twit who's as fake as a press-on fingernail......and about as valuable.

Only BP and DG are on this late.....goodnight to you all. I'm shutting off the tv...far more entertaining and worthwhile at BF tonight than cable news.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    News about that woman is what makes me scream at my TV. It's what makes me want to not own a TV. It embarrasses me that our country seems to have a lot of people who actually care about this crap. G'nite, CC!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There needs to be some "straw that breaks the camels back" in our society's addiction to celebritys. Paris Hilton may be that straw, if so she's served a great purpose.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Channel selector, use it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have I missed something? Who is Paris Hilton?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx
    Have I missed something? Who is Paris Hilton?
    You haven't missed a thing, maddmaxx. As far as I'm concerned they should have kept her locked up much longer.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in someways pretty sick - we like to watch train wrecks which is the best way to describe celebrities. It isn't so much that we admire them as we cannot believe that with so many advantages they can foul up so badly.

But I rarely care to watch since it is old news "Celebrity does stupid thing" Wow, that is special!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crtreedude
    We are in someways pretty sick - we like to watch train wrecks which is the best way to describe celebrities. It isn't so much that we admire them as we cannot believe that with so many advantages they can foul up so badly.

But I rarely care to watch since it is old news "Celebrity does stupid thing" Wow, that is special!
    I was watching the local news this morning when the story of her release was broadcast. I could really hear the disgust in the local newscasters voices when they introduced the story. I'm really disgusted about the stories of how much shows paid to obtain an interview with her after her release.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She tops on my Top 10 Most Pointless People List, closely followed by Tom Cruise and Rosie.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on guys, get a grip. She looks good, a video of her having sex is on the internet. Sure she's self centered, and petty, but think back to how many times you put up with crap just for the sex. The last place we want he is in the slammer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rich are always treated differently. Here in SC our treasurer just got indicted for having 500 grams
    of cocaine. Naturally he is a rich white guy and is at home in Charleston plotting his strategy while the family claims he is a victim.

His partner in crime; poor black guy, is already in jail.

By JIM DAVENPORT - The Associated Press

GREENVILLE — The father of indicted South Carolina Treasurer Thomas Ravenel said Monday his son has a drug problem and his family has urged the man to get help.

“He’s in pretty bad shape, you know. He’s got a drug problem,” Arthur Ravenel said in telephone interview with The Associated Press. “We suspected it.”

Thomas Ravenel, 44, was indicted last week on a federal cocaine charge. Prosecutors said he bought less than 500 grams of the drug to share with other people.

The elder Ravenel said he has spoken with his son about getting “top-notch professional help” and told him the family supports him.

Arthur Ravenel, 80, said he hadn’t seen much of his millionaire real estate developer son since he took office as treasurer in January. But he said he had heard rumors about his son’s problems.

“We were really concerned about him because he was from time to time very depressed, which is very unusual for Thomas,” Arthur Ravenel said.

The family has been through problems before, he said, but, “we’ve never had to confront the drug problem. Never. So it’s kind of a surprise to us. And naturally we’re all devastated at what has occurred.”

Arthur Ravenel is a former state senator and S.C. congressman. The new bridge connecting downtown Charleston with Mount Pleasant is named for him.

Thomas Ravenel did not return phone messages left at his business, and his lawyer Bart Daniel did not respond to a message left at his office after hours Monday.

Thomas Ravenel was chairman for former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s South Carolina campaign. The day the indictment was made public, the campaign said he had left the post but did not release details.

Arthur Ravenel heads up operations in the southeastern area of the state for Giuliani and reiterated he would continue his work after Giuliani’s campaign refused to take his resignation.

“I don’t know whether that’s a good idea or a bad idea, because Thomas has got all of his stuff to go through with. I haven’t done anything wrong — hey — that they know about,” Arthur Ravenel said with a laugh.

Thomas Ravenel hasn’t spoken publicly since he and Michael L. Miller were indicted June 19 on federal charges of distribution of cocaine.

Miller sold the drugs to Ravenel, who shared them with friends, said U.S. Attorney Reggie Lloyd, who stressed Ravenel isn’t accused of selling drugs.

Authorities would not discuss the relationship between Ravenel and Miller or give details about what Ravenel is accused of doing with the drugs other than giving cocaine to others.

Ravenel will be allowed to turn himself in at a July 9 bond hearing in Columbia.

Gov. Mark Sanford suspended Ravenel immediately on the basis of the serious nature of the charge and named Columbia attorney Ken Wingate interim treasurer.

If convicted, Ravenel would lose his office. Lawmakers would pick his permanent successor.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to offer a different point of view.
    Some countries have the news controlled by Government or at least heavily influenced.
    It starts all with the best of intentions of course: We must provide quality to or citizen, children, etc. We must have balanced programming. We must be politically correct. Political agenda of party in power must be followed. Never ending political commentaries. Music only a few select people want to hear. And so on.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Here in the USA we have only one system: Whatever sells. Few boundaries exist. Perhaps someone gets exited about some naked breast or some sexual explicit messages, other than that.......go where money flows. Paris Hilton draws a lot of attention for all kinds of reasons I do not understand. But, I had two visitors at my house from Germany. They knew every detail about that broad and were a lot more in the know about her than most Americans. Go figure.
    The Americans do not have the market cornered on "kitch and klatch". Other countries are just as active with that or more.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of repugnant, is anyone else here very relieved that Rosie isn't going to host "The Price is Right"!
    I don't watch the show, but it's become sort of a TV Legend, and I'd hate to see it go off the air due to a ratings drop. Or don't you think Rosie would cause that to happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you could read important news by going to BBC. I read my news
    with a tabbed browser and simultaneous with this thread found:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6239846.stm
    There is also http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6240312.stm
    but I don't have to read that.

I used to see a bumper sticker saying "Kill Your TV". I had no idea of
    the context but think they were on to something.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    News about that woman is what makes me scream at my TV. It's what makes me want to not own a TV. It embarrasses me that our country seems to have a lot of people who actually care about this crap. G'nite, CC!

It is rather disturbing, isn't it? A co-worker has an eight year old daughter, and this girl is enthralled by Lindsey Lohan. Whatever it is, book, magazine, TV show, if Lindsey is on it, this kid wants it. She can tell you anything about Lindsey you'd care to know. Naturally, she has no idea who the Bronte sisters were, or who Dr. Sally Ride is. Nope, not a clue. He jokes about it, saying "I don't think there's a Lindsey Lohan major at U-Mass", but you can tell he's concerned.

About two years ago, a grade school teacher tried a little experiment with her class of 5th graders. She held up a photograph of Ronald McDonald, and asked who it was. Of course, the kids all chimed in "That's Ronald McDonald!!" Then she held up a photograph of then-governor Mitt Romney, and asked who it was. Dead Silence. Finally, one kid spoke up with "That's the guy on TV!".

So, is there a problem here?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paris Hilton is going to be on Larry King tonight. Be sure to watch.

If she comes across as humble and repentent, there may be some hope for her. If she blames everyone for her misfortune, then she's probably lost.

Lindsey Lohan is going the way of Anna Nicolle, I fear. it's a shame. She was very cute ten years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in LA.
    I haven't seen a national (network) newscast today but I watched the local news this AM (KTTV) and they more or less laughed through their coverage of the thing. The Sheriff's department is sure glad to get rid of her.

Awhile back I saw her and Pamela Anderson on a shopping foray in Malibu. Completely surrounded by nasty looking bodyguards and paparazzi. It really is ridiculous. The locals pay zero attention to this kind of stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you notice the tabloid covers at the supermarket. Tom,Jen, Brad, Paris, Britney.... do a valuable service by providing raw material for an industry that provides jobs for printers and lives for people, that for whatever reason, can't live their own.
    I have the key, to escape reality....Get on your bikes and ride

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not to mention that you can wrap fish in it.!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    The tv is chattering at me about Paris Hilton-- her trauma, the inequity, her poor frazzled family, etc. Half a world away, there are some nameless working class youngsters carefully walking up some filthy alley not knowing if any moment could bring death or maiming. In my town, there are exhausted grandparents in my school's poor neighborhood raising as best they can their drug addled children's children. Yet how much airtime is given to those in Baqouba or those heroic grandparents? Better for the media to gather at the L.A. jail...

For a cheap, shallow twit who's as fake as a press-on fingernail......and about as valuable.

Only BP and DG are on this late.....goodnight to you all. I'm shutting off the tv...far more entertaining and worthwhile at BF tonight than cable news.
    I couldn't have said it better.... especially the part about the youngsters half a world away.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw the thread title, I expected this to be a slam on the TdF.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    The tv is chattering at me about --
    That doesn't mean you have to. Consider yourself sucked into and part of the vortex.

Puhleeze! Ignore it and it will go away.

Now, about Gary's next purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What amazed me while I was away on vacation was how utterly fascinated New Yorkers are with her.
    I thought they were supposed to jaded but, seemingly, no. All Paris, All the Time
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    That doesn't mean you have to. Consider yourself sucked into and part of the vortex.

Puhleeze! Ignore it and it will go away.
    BINGO!

They only keep selling it because we keep buying it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never read the stories on her, but when I browse Google News, I see the headlines. I remember seeing one about 2 months ago that said someone paid her a $250,000 appearance fee to attend a party - just to be a party headliner and it would make people excited to come to the party.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast